Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Young guinea pig - wont eat pellets, will eat hay.

moraenash

Cavy Gazer
Hi,
I recently got my first guinea pig, about 10-11 weeks old. She eats a lot of hay but doesn't seem to like the pellets. If she decides to stay away from them I'm going to stop buying pellets, but if so, what do I replace the pellets with? Is there something important in the pellets I need to substitute with fruits/vegetables? For reference, the hay I give her is Vitakraft timothy hay and the pellets are Oxbow young guinea pig food.
Thanks in advance for the answers!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
She might not like alfalfa, which is what the young guinea pig pellets are made of. One of mine wouldn't eat alfalfa anything. I suggest trying a Timothy based pellet. She will need extra calcium until she's 6 months so you can supplement with a calcium rich veggie like parsley. The pellets provide vitamin C so make sure she's getting enough C, green bell pepper is a good source of that. Don't put vitamin C drops in her water, they lose their effectiveness quickly and can make the water taste weird.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.