Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Biting

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Yes biting. Not nipping. My 7 month old, Emmy, keeps biting Bailey who just turned one. They have two of almost everything and Emmy will come out of nowhere and bite her and just plain harass her!

Example: Bailey will be eating and Emmy will run out of her cuddle sack, bite her and push her over.

Or, Emmy will come out of her cuddle sack and pushes Bailey out of hers, so Bailey will go to Emmy's and the same thing happens!

Bailey is constantly wheeking, whimpering and screaming! I'm fine with separating I can make room but Emmy has removed hair on the but, chipped Bailey's ear, and left a scab on Bailey's butt. What can I do to help them? They use to cuddle and kiss and explore and play chase and run zoomies and now Bailey sees Emmy and she runs to hide but Emmy won't leave her a lone! Bailey doesn't even provoke her! Please help[emoji20]

miniver

Cavy Slave
How long has this been happening?
My girls had one major dust-up at puberty that lasted four days. It was horrible to watch and listen to, but no blood drawn. Their fine now that they got it out of their system.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
How long has this been happening?
My girls had one major dust-up at puberty that lasted four days. It was horrible to watch and listen to, but no blood drawn. Their fine now that they got it out of their system.
It's been happening about a month now and Bailey seems terrified. They've been together since Emmy was two months (she's now 7 months) so I don't know why this happening. I have room for two 2x3s if I need to separate but I had Bailey away from Emmy so she could eat and drink and play and she was super happy and started running around which she hasn't in a while and I put her back in the cage, Emmy starts up and she gets scared and cries and Emmy's bites and it's horrible. I know their heat situation, Bailey is obviously the boss since they're around the same time, but I don't think it's heat cause Emmy will straight up bite, chase and harass her!

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add that Emmy doesn't let Bailey eat. I'm making the decision to separate and re introduce when Bailey is back up to a good weight? I'm definitely separating though.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear that it's come to that but it sounds like a good thing to do.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear that it's come to that but it sounds like a good thing to do.
Me to. Even my friend (who is very cavy savvy) said to separate. I just wish this didn't have to happen....

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would definitely try to re-introduce once they are a little older and out of the "puberty" stage. I know when my one pair of sows were in the ages of 8-10 months they were quite feisty with each other, especially my dominant girl. They have been together since one was 5 weeks and the other was 4 weeks but they went through a stage of a lot of chasing and nipping, thankfully it never escalated though. Now they are both 13 months and have been back to normal with each for a few months now.

Remember when you re-introduce to do introductions properly, don't cut corners even though they will be used to living beside one another. It may also help to add some width to your cage if space allows. Sometimes pigs seem to do better when they have more room to go around one another. Even if you can expand to 2.5 girds it could help.

Good luck though, it sounds like an unfortunate situation of bullying.

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave
Oh that's awful! :sad: I hope they'll get along again when you re-introduce them

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I put Bailey in a 2.5 x 2 (I know, I know! To small! It's the biggest I could go atm) and Bailey was popcorning! And she's eating without me for the first time in a month! Even Emmy is happier. Bailey doesn't even care Emmy is near her cause she's been terrified of her!

Anyway, I'm hoping for a good pair in 3 weeks and of not we are going down to Cavy Haven to try Emmy with a boar and get Bailey another female. I'm hoping a good pair. I'll watch them for 3 days and of Emmy contuies to make Bailey terrified and bite her and make her squeal I'll separate again until we get back from our Vacation, and go down to Cavy Haven.

So wish us luck on a good bond between these two!

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
Keeping them together would have created a bad association between the two that time couldn't really fix. It's good to separate them now and see later if they are feeling better once they mature completely. However, animals can and do mature into different personalities with different compatibility as they grow older.

It's best to know the pet's personality types before adopting another, too. I knew that Fiona was active, curious, touch sensitive, and feisty. I set out to find an easy-going, polite cuddle bug to match her. They were instant friends and the only arguments they get into is when they are in heat, but it's not even that bad, just a little bit of chattering and they give each other space when they ask for it :)

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Keeping them together would have created a bad association between the two that time couldn't really fix. It's good to separate them now and see later if they are feeling better once they mature completely. However, animals can and do mature into different personalities with different compatibility as they grow older.

It's best to know the pet's personality types before adopting another, too. I knew that Fiona was active, curious, touch sensitive, and feisty. I set out to find an easy-going, polite cuddle bug to match her. They were instant friends and the only arguments they get into is when they are in heat, but it's not even that bad, just a little bit of chattering and they give each other space when they ask for it :)
Emmy is the one that's changing. She used to be shy, but a total love bug. Now she's a total brat. She only let's me hold her and pet her, she wouldn't let Bailey eat, and she started playing really rough. Bailey doesn't like to play rough. Maybe Emmy is a lone pig. Maybe she needs a cuy. I know Cavy Haven had some cuys.

But last night Bailey was so happy to be a way from Emmy is starting to look happy. I dropped my phone by Emmy's cage putting Bailey back to hers (their cages aren't next to each other) and Bailey got so scared I have scratches up my arm. It was two a point she was constantly crying....

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I discovered another scab behind Bailey's ear. That might have been the scream that my mom heard in her room.

I had both on the couch yesterday, but away while me and my friend were playing mine craft, and she had Bailey the side that was away from me and I had Emmy in my lap asleep. Bailey loves to explore so she went over, and when saw Emmy she tried to dig into my friends arm.

I'm really scares to rebond them😔

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Here's what my pig sitter told me

I don't know what to do. I don'twant them each a lone. I at least want Bailey to have a friend...(ignore the IG user name please)

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1428266926294.jpg

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
What should I Do?

Other thread explaining what happened:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106533

So I found more bites on Bailey, and my pig sitter said that back in December Emmy was so mean to both Bailey and Mocha (Rip) she had to put them in a separate cage. So basically almost 6 months later she's the same.

My mom will only let me get one more pig. She said I can give Emay away and get two new friends for Bailey, or give Bailey away and focus on Emmy. I said no to both of these. I finally convinced her to let me get two, one for each. But now she said one and won't change her mind again. My dad is absolutely fine with 2 new pigs, but she absolutely hates my dad. So here's where I need help.

Back ground on Emmy:
I got her when she was 2 months
She's 7 almost 8 months
She was neglected
She's blind and special needs
She's a Cuy
She's a bit aggressive

Background on Bailey:
I got her when she was 7 months
She's 1 year
She loves to cuddle and share with other pigs
She's submissive except in heat
She's super nice
Shes proctevive of cage mates (I.E - crying = Bailey's momma pig mode)

So who should I get the friend for? I'm leaning towards Bailey as I'm still working a lot with Emmy and Bailey is starting to get depressed, but Emmy is special needs and often has trouble finding, and eating food. I really just don't know what to do and I feel really bad.

Last edited:

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Re: What should I Do?

It seems that Emmy might just be going through puberty. If the fighting is causing a lot of blood and pain to Bailey I would seperate, I see that if you can keep them together do. I think it would be a good idea if you could give them as much room as possible. How big is their cage? Is there any way to make it bigger? Give them seperate time if needed. Take the picked on and sit with her and feed her her veggies and give her a break.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave

It seems that Emmy might just be going through puberty. If the fighting is causing a lot of blood and pain to Bailey I would seperate, I see that if you can keep them together do. I think it would be a good idea if you could give them as much room as possible. How big is their cage? Is there any way to make it bigger? Give them seperate time if needed. Take the picked on and sit with her and feed her her veggies and give her a break.

It's not puberty. Bailey and Emmy are always fine with puberty. I'm not absolutely not EVER putting them back together. As soon as Bailey even so much as sees Emmy she hides. She has a huge bite behind her ear, one on her nipple, and one on her butt.

They have a 2x4 c&c cage, and no I can't go bigger. Even when they had a 2x5 with a loft at my dad's (which I took down) they would still fight! It's been going for a month and a half.

And obviously they are separated (if you look on my other thread, I think it's been about a week).

I need to know who I would rather get the friend for. My mom said if I ask one more time, I can get none and they can live alone.

They each have their reasons for a friend, besides the obvious, and I just don't know what to do[emoji20]

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave

I think I missed the part about her being blind in the first post? I'm not familiar with blindness in pigs but I have to imagine that is very stressful and scary for her. Especially if she wasn't always blind. I would think it would take the right cagemate to help her with her specific needs and perhaps Bailey is not the right match for that. I'm sure the more experienced piggy owners here can help with some ideas or links for info on a blind piggie.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Please do NOT start multiple threads on pig problems.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I feel really bad I can't decide. Emmy has caused me a lot if stress, but that why I love her. She gave me a challenge, but I'm constantly getting frustrated at her because she looses what we worked on we have to start all over again.

Bailey is depressed without one of her own.

I know they need friends. And I'm trying really hard here. I've tried basically almost everything.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Is there any way you can just get another pig and see who she/he goes better with?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.