Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Biting

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
If you have to make a choice I would give the friend to bailey

miniver

Cavy Slave
Do you have the option of finding a home for Emmy that will care for a special needs cuy? For example, a rescue will have new animals coming and going. They will have the more opportunities to try to find Emmy a friend. If you get another guinea pig to just "see what happens" you may end up worse off then you are now.

I know you love both your piggies and it's a really tough decision to make. I only have two guinea pigs. I'd have a dozen if I could but that's not best for anyone; me or the piggies. You're not giving up on Emmy. You're not a bad piggy-mommy. You're just doing what is best for both of them.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Do you have the option of finding a home for Emmy that will care for a special needs cuy? For example, a rescue will have new animals coming and going. They will have the more opportunities to try to find Emmy a friend. If you get another guinea pig to just "see what happens" you may end up worse off then you are now.

I know you love both your piggies and it's a really tough decision to make. I only have two guinea pigs. I'd have a dozen if I could but that's not best for anyone; me or the piggies. You're not giving up on Emmy. You're not a bad piggy-mommy. You're just doing what is best for both of them.
I've worked so so so hard with Emmy. Every one is always telling me she's not worth it, throw her out, put her to sleep. It's hard enough knowing I failed Mocha, I can't fail Emmy to. To me, it'd be giving up on her. I literally don't even trust the pig sitter with her, even though she has two old cuys and fosters from Cavyhaven I believe (I know she's a foster). I was going to surrender Bailey and get Emmy a Cuy [MENTION=33116]LoveMyHerd[/MENTION] found on PetFinder, but now I don't know[emoji20]

miniver

Cavy Slave
Put her to sleep?!?! It's so sad that someone would tell you that.

Here's what I would suggest.
Step one: stop beating yourself up over this. Guinea pigs have big personalities and some are more challenging than others. That's true of all pets (and many humans lol)

Step two: take a step back. Take a good, objective look at the options. Give yourself some time to do this and you will see it will be time well spent. Both Bailey and Emmy will be a okay for a few days on their own. Research, or re-research cuys and blind piggies. If it helps, make a list of issues and personality traits. From there make a list of solutions and options. See if you're missing anything.

Please take this in the spirit I intend it, to help not judge...you sound very emotional and at your wits end. I think many people would be in your situation. Just don't let it cloud your judgement or push you into making a decision that's not best for you or your girls. I know I always feel better about big decisions if I think on them awhile. Maybe "do nothing" is the best decision you can make for a few days.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Put her to sleep?!?! It's so sad that someone would tell you that.

Here's what I would suggest.
Step one: stop beating yourself up over this. Guinea pigs have big personalities and some are more challenging than others. That's true of all pets (and many humans lol)

Step two: take a step back. Take a good, objective look at the options. Give yourself some time to do this and you will see it will be time well spent. Both Bailey and Emmy will be a okay for a few days on their own. Research, or re-research cuys and blind piggies. If it helps, make a list of issues and personality traits. From there make a list of solutions and options. See if you're missing anything.

Please take this in the spirit I intend it, to help not judge...you sound very emotional and at your wits end. I think many people would be in your situation. Just don't let it cloud your judgement or push you into making a decision that's not best for you or your girls. I know I always feel better about big decisions if I think on them awhile. Maybe "do nothing" is the best decision you can make for a few days.
I've thought about it for about 2 weeks now. I'll do the list thing. I like making lists. It helps me stay focused. I'll start doing more research as well. There's very little info I could find on cuys, let a lone blind cuys! I'll watch each of them more carefully to. Spend more time with each of them, to see of there is another solution. I have 3 jobs and I'm not even 15 yet, and I really do think I can handle 4 pigs but let's see how this plays out first. Thanks for the suggestion[emoji4]

kulheads1961

Cavy Gazer
I just bought a C&C cage it's huge and you can get a cage divider so they can still see and smell each other but not hurt on another

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I just bought a C&C cage it's huge and you can get a cage divider so they can still see and smell each other but not hurt on another
I have a c&c cage. I'm not doing the divider. I tried that a while ago. Emmy still went at Bailey.

kulheads1961

Cavy Gazer
Oh ok, but at least they couldn't hurt one another right?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh ok, but at least they couldn't hurt one another right?
Yeah. But it's more then hurting. Bailey is terrified of Emmy to the pont she won't eat

kulheads1961

Cavy Gazer
Then can I ask why you won't use the divider for them?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Then can I ask why you won't use the divider for them?
Because I had already tried grids and a blanket and cardboard. I just really don't want them near each other. Emmy is next to my bed so I can keep an eye on her and Bailey is in my closet so she's away but close enough I can see her. Emmy can sense if Bailey is next to her jade goes crazy and rams herself trying to get to her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In your closet? That's no place for a guinea pig.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
In your closet? That's no place for a guinea pig.
The door is open always open. The closet is connected to my room, and it's well ventilated.

kulheads1961

Cavy Gazer
How long have you had piggies fir a pet? You said your 15 right. You really need proper cages. They can live in seperated cages as long as they get a lot if attention from you

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
How long have you had piggies fir a pet? You said your 15 right. You really need proper cages. They can live in seperated cages as long as they get a lot if attention from you
I've had piggies since I was 5. No I'm not 15. I have proper cages. I'm caring for them the best way I can. I live with my mom for two ish more weeks and them I go on vacation and go with my dad where I have a 2x5 with a loft and was going to build a 2x5 on the floor. That's when I was going to get each a new friend, because my dad agrees with me and convinced my mom to change her mind (thankfully)

kulheads1961

Cavy Gazer
:) have a nice vacation and good luck with your Guinea Pigs. They sure are alot of fun

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
:) have a nice vacation and good luck with your Guinea Pigs. They sure are alot of fun
Thanks.

And yes piggies are fun. I wish I could take them. I don't think they would like a cruise[emoji13]

kulheads1961

Cavy Gazer
No I don't think so either. Have fun

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
So I talked to my pig sitter who has cuys and also piggies of her own. She also works at a guinea pig shelter. She said I should leave Emmy a lone pig (which I'm fine with) and get Bailey a friend. So that's what I'm doing after vacation. I have one question and I feel its kinda dumb.

Can I give Emmy a 2x4 even tho she's by herself? She's blind and special needs so would that be to much space/to stressful for her?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.