Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pig cage in living room? Concerned about noise.

Phoneticpigs

Cavy Slave
Right now we have our furbabies in a spare room where we have a 2x5 cage configured. They are happy in there but they only get to see us when we go to see them or when they get floor time. We often spend a lot of time in the living room where we have the TV/Sound system and where they have floor time.

My thought is to move their cage from the spare room to the living room but concerned about noise. *sometimes* we may watch some blockbuster loudly (good amount of bass, but their cage can feel the bass (just lots less) where they are now), but most of the time we just keep the tv at normal/loud speaking voices. It doesn't seem to bother them at floor time.

Would they be OK being scared occasionally from a loud movie?

I googled this and got radically conflicting comments so thought I would try myself.

Thanks for the input!

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
My pigs are in the living room where a TV and 3 very loud kids are usually making tons of noise. They adjusted VERY quickly. In fact, they seem to become more active when there is more activity/noise in the room. The only thing that seems to make them nervous is when we turn on the stereo system. As soon as we play music through the stereo (and it's the same sound system the TV uses!) the pigs huddle up together in their fleece tunnel (see my avatar). I have no idea why the stereo makes them nervous and the tv doesn't. Silly pigs! Either way, as soon as the music is off, they come running back out no worse for wear.

My opinion is that they'd do much better in the living room as long as they are safe from small kids and other pets there.

Phoneticpigs

Cavy Slave
That's great to hear Poop_patrol! Thanks!

The furbabies are the only pet's and it's just myself and my girlfriend. The only physical thing they have to worry about is me stealing a random pig for some cuddles or an action movie lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We have two pigs in our den where we spend most of the time. Two kids with lots of squabbling. Two barking dogs. A cat that pounces on the lid of the cage. The pigs aren't fazed at all.

Chayna Renee

Cavy Slave
I have two extra bedrooms and I put them in the one that was the closest to the living room. We have smaller cages that we used to have and we put them in there sometimes and sit them on the floor so they can be in the living room. They do not like loud noises and my family is VERY loud. I would never put them in the living room permanently. Too much noise and their cage is huge.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
My boys are in the living room and they could care less what's happening. Colonel will sleep right through the dog vicious barking at the window, the TV, the kids. They sleep through parties. They seem to enjoy loud music. When I have the music on colonel will sit on his platform watch the kids dance around. I guess it depends on your pigs.

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
Same here, my boys are in the living room (all my pigs always have been except when I was a kid) with us and the 5 kids, 2 dogs, TV and all the drama it all brings. They do really well :)

miniver

Cavy Slave
I love having my girls in the living room since it's where I spend most of my time. Both have very selective hearing. A bomb could go off and they would sleep through it but they can hear me open the fridge in the next room.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Mine are in the dining room which is really part of the living room, they love being in the thick of things. They get head pets when anyone walks by and they are awake. I talk to them all the time. They don't appear to mind the loud TV shows. I think they'd be skittish if they were more isolated, pretty much nothing phases them now.

Phoneticpigs

Cavy Slave
Awesome thanks for all the replies all. :D I think I am going to move their cage this weekend as a trial and see how it goes!

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
My two girls are in the living room, next to the TV, and do just fine.

What is fun about them being in the room is that they "comment" on what is on telly or the radio. My girls seem to dislike the Spice Girls. I have had a couple of instances where they started grumbling when the Spice Girls came on the radio.

You probably do need to get tough about not spoiling them though, or they will wheek your head off anytime you move or make a sound. They will have you trained to fetch them food in no time if you let them ;-)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
My cousin had her cage literally right next to the tv. I can honestly say that he liked it better where all the noise was than away from it. Mine have moved around, but they haven't been in the living room. They are much happier when they are in a place that has lots of activity.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
My piggies aren't by a TV now, but when I adopted Amy, she was in a cage in activity central. It was a family room with loud TV, kids, and even a huge husky with her cage right at its eye level. Must not have bothered her, as she was totally unflappable from the time I brought her home. Seems like she just got used to it all.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
They really learn quick. Colonel and Pappy hear the clicking noise the TV makes when I turn it off and they know that means I'm going to bed and they get their last treat. Colonel sits at his platform and waits patiently:

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
What tubing is that? I've been looking for something like that @barbaramudge

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
It's field drain tubing. We got it from Home Depot really cheap.

Phoneticpigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the feedback everyone! I was concerned with what I had read till now. We moved them in to the living room tonight and so far we LOVE having them out here. Normally we would sit and watch them on our network camera when we weren't in the room with them so now it just makes it even better to have them out here with us all the time. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.