Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Need Room

Summertoffee

Cavy Slave
Just in the last week I lost 2 beloved guinea pigs, a baby boy and pregnant girl. My dad is making me keep my guinea pugs outside. But I want them to live inside, as the 2 that died were outside . Every time I ask him if they can have their own room, he gets mad at me and threatens to get rid of them. I have 4 inside at the moment, and he won't let me move the boys inside. The ones inside are in a 2x4 and I want to expand to a 2x5. I was wondering if anyone has advise so I can give my piggies their own room so they aren't out in the hot and cold. The cage in my room takes up to much space but I want to expand it and move them all inside. What do I do?

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
It can be hard to convince your parents to let you have more space for your pets, especially if they see them as burdensome animals instead of members of the family. Try asking your dad why he doesn't want them in the house. Does he think they are noisy or smelly? Show him that you can care for the pigs in a way that they won't be a bother to him.

How many pigs do you have and how big is your room? I just expanded to two 2X5 cages stacked on top of each other and so far am loving it, despite losing some storage space I used to have.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Reading @LifeAsItMayBe's post gave me an idea. Could you maybe try having a stacked cage in your room? It would only take up more room up, not out. That may work for you better. It might be a little hard to get your parents to allow you, but it helped in my case to buy the supplies myself, and show them that they don't have to pay for anything. It is always easier to convince your parents when they don't have to pay for anything. Also ask your dad why he doesn't them inside even though you have four others inside.

Summertoffee

Cavy Slave
My dad thinks they cause to much noise and make a mess. We also have 3 dogs who chew up everything. I did think about making a stacked cage and making it a 2x6 on each story so they have more room for running and toys. I just wasn't sure how the boys would react being in the same room as the girls.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
If you put them on the bottom they won't be able to climb up to the girls, or if you put them on the top, make a lid just in case. Some boys have climbed out of the top and gotten into the bottom cage.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
If you have 3 dogs that chew everything, how can your dad think that guinea pigs would be noisier or make more mess than the dogs? :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've had males on the lower level of a stacked cage with no problem. I don't think they even knew the females were on the upper level.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.