Thread: My guinea pig whines when I am near!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My guinea pig whines when I am near!

I got my guinea pig Velvet about two weeks ago, and I have handled her numerous times, pet her, played classical music to help keep her less bored, and hand fed her to help her like me. I'm not sure if she just needs more time to adjust to her new home yet, but whenever I approach her cage she immediately starts whining at me, and when I try to cuddle with her, she is constantly whining, especially when being pet. It's not a wheek, scream, or teeth chattering, but she just makes soft whining noises all the time. When I am handling her, I am always very gentle with her and make an effort to speak very softly, but ESPECIALLY when I touch her, she whines even more! I have checked her fur for any patches or irregularities, and she has none, so I am almost positive she is not ill. I have tried giving her food while I handle her, but she completely ignores it until I put her in her cage, and then she takes it into her house, completely out of my sight (she is pure black so when she goes inside her house, she just hides in the shadows). I'm thinking she might be wanting a cage mate since she was bought at a pet store, and my brother has tried introducing his guinea pig to her, but they scuffle when they're together.

Is there anything I could try to have her not whine at me? Could it be that she really just wants a piggy friend?

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Re: My guinea pig whines when I am near!

I've had my Chester for only 3 months and he still sometimes hides form me. It's a prey animal thing, they have an instinct to run. Thankfully lots of hand feeding and floor time where I was able to sit with him has helped him bond to me rally well. Sometimes bonding can take a long time. especially for store bought pigs because they almost always come from a mass breeding facility where they are treated very poorly and have absolutely atrocious living conditions. And then they get to the pet store and thought they are in significantly better conditions than the warehouse or facility, they still are not giving proper space or diet or attention.

Bonding can just take a while, don't give up!!! One day you'll be snuggling you pig and wonder why you ever thought you guys wouldn't get a long!

As for finding her a friend, don't have play dates with your brothers pig. introductions are very stressful for the piggies as they have to work out dominance between the two. I am almost certain she would be happier if she did have adage mate but you have to be absolutely positive she is in fact a she and that she doesn't have any mites or an URI which are very common to petstore pigs.

If she is depressed the best thing you can do for her is ensure he has the proper sized cage. Believe me and the hundreds of testimonies that upgrading to a C&C cage has been probably the best thing in my pigs life. I couldn't understand why Chester was so unenthusiastic about anything until I let him in a large floor time space and I realized how much he loves to play and run and popcorn. He's in a 2x3 C&C now but will be moving to a much bigger cage once I am able to introduce him to his two new brothers.

Id also check what you're feeding too!! Chester HATED the pellets I first bought him. I switched to oxbow and he absolutely loves them!plus they are way way wayyyy healthier than anything else I can find at the store. A lot of forum members get KMS and raves about them but I prefer to but at the store rather than ship my stuff in. Same thing with hay! be sure to have unlimited lush grass hay available, that will cheer any pig up

You can through a cardboard box in for fun or stuff an old toilet roll with hay and tie it to a grid or cage top and bam-hours of entertainment!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

one more thing is to take her to the vet and have her checked out. Pet store pigs re notorious for having mites and URIs as i said earlier. the earlier you catch them the better. URIs are deadly and piggies are super good at hiding symptoms until its just too late. And mites are invisible to the name eye and the burrow into your babies skin. It can be extremely painful but to my understanding it is very easy to treat. For safe measure I take all my animals to the vet. And If you do decide she needs a pal (which she probably really do want) I would make sure a seasoned piggie owner sexes her and that you aopt a rescue pig. we are all happy to help you look in your area for a piggie in need of a new family. this site is awesome for any question you might have, and there are quite literally 1000s of threads to browse. So welcome!!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you very much for the advice! I think I'll look into taking her to a vet, and I'll definitely give her time to run around more. C&C cages would be ideal, but I don't know how my family would take that, since I've heard it can take a while to build them. Hopefully Velvet will warm up to me soon!

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Velvet is such a cute name!!! post pictures!!

Time wise, my first ever C&C cage only took about a half hour to make-mostly because i was also watching the Parks and Recs series finally and I was in tears the whole time which made measuring and cutting a pain in the back haha! But if you can't find any coroplact or corrugated plastic around youm home depot sells sheets for 10 bucks and it only takes two of them to make a good size cage and the grids can be found at Kmart any time of the year and online at walmart, kmart, bed bath and beyond, and amazon among other places. I was really intimidated before I actually got my supplies but to be honest I had nothing to worry about. I also switched over to fleece bedding when i got my C&C and I used some old fleece blankets I didn't use anymore but even if I had went out and bought fleece by the yard at Joannes or somewhere the initial cost would be able the same as a big bag of care fresh or aspen bedding but you don't have to buy another bag ever week or two(i kid you not, I have saved so much money switching to fleece!!! definitely look into it)

All three of my guinea pigs have improved to much in C&Cs, the cost isn't even comparable to store boughts 20 or less for girds, 20 or less for coro. while petstore cages near me are all over 50, and the only decent sized one was near 80 dollars. Bleck!! If you have the opportunity to get corrugated plastic and some grids I would just take your store bought cage back and ask for a refund. they are pretty good about returns. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    206 Rec'd/165 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

It takes like 10mins to throw up a c&c when you know how. It's just a lot of space.

Guinea pigs make near constant little noises. They make more when you or another pig directly interacts. When they are responding due to pain or fear it is actually more like the loud, long calling wheek instead. Little high pitched noises are just chatter. Being bricks with legs they have limited body language and in their native environment would be shorter than all the vegetation so unlike most animals they evolved to make a lot of noise and a wide range of noises for every occasion. While they can be quiet when they feel like they are one animal where silence is not a sign that things are good. I'm sure there's sound recordings around here somewhere....

Guinea pigs need a proper introduction process, and in some cases some extra tricks on top of that, or they will fight and they usually will not get along if they are separated, put together, and separated over and over. They need introduced for a permanent living arrangement. http://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Thanks
    Thanks
    206 Rec'd/165 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

The whining could be that she associates you with food and is asking for her snack. If she's shy, she might want the snack to herself. It might take more time for her to fully relax while being held. A soft whine can be a sound of being content... not a purr but more of a soft whine. You might want to videotape her making the sounds so we can hear her and see her body language.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay, so C&C cages don't take very long to build? As soon as I get a part time job, that'll be a top priority investment for me to make, haha. And thanks for the introduction advice! I didn't know it would take that long of a time, and I think the territory wasn't completely neutral, since I put a pigloo that I forgot to wash in the area, so it still had one of the piggy's scent on it, and that would probably be a major culprit, since they only barbered each other when the house was involved. I have only tried introducing the pigs once, and I now see a lot of issues with how I did it, so I'll set up a better area and try again.

I looked at the site links that were posted, and the noise that best matches up with what Velvet is making is the "stressed" noise. I think she is probably bored and upset and wants free space to run around in, and she doesn't want to be cuddled as much. I'll investigate this further, now that I know what she's generally saying, and I'll totally give her some extra treats when I handle her.

10. "Thank you, gpigsrock, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/120 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)

She may not actually be stressed. My guinea pig also makes a whining sound, but it just means she is happy with what I am doing. Does her whining match with any of these sounds (in the video; first thing to click) https://www.google.com/search?source...7j0l5.7355j0j7

Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/120 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

One of my girls (Elli) used to make the most awful whining noise whenever I tried to pick her up. It seemed to be a high-pitched squeal of "OMG, DON'T EAT ME!" It almost made me feel guilty for touching her, but she eventually got over it as she got used to me. My new pig Lilly though? Same noise.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

PB&P both make noise the entire time we have them out. Well actually I think the only time they are quite is at bedtime I thought it was stress noise but both piggies have stretched out in our laps totally relaxed and still make noise.

Thanks
    Thanks
    206 Rec'd/165 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Truly stressed and "I'm slightly annoyed and like to talk about" have an overlap. Some are rather happy pigs or quiet pigs and some will complain the entire time another guinea pig or a person is interacting with them. They are just grumpy pigs doing the equivalent of mumbling in irritation or pigs that want you to know they always want a supply of tasty food when a person is around. The "whee.... !" noise, a little sharper with less change at the end than veggie wheeks, is when they are really afraid, surprised, or in pain. In that case I would definitely treat for mites to rule it out (skin scrapings at vets are not very accurate on guinea pigs and can be painful so I just treat) and you might need to back off handling the pig until it gets used to you bringing good things or use a box to move them to a location you can let them run around you instead of picking them up.

User Tag List