Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Bedding: So Phresh

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
I just got a new bedding for my guinea pigs. Its called So Phresh and it says it had baking soda in it. It says it is for small animals but i just want to make sure its safe. Has anybody ever used this bedding? Ive heard baking soda is bad to put in their cage so im not sure why this bedding is even in stores. I didnt see the baking soda thing before i bought it unfortunately. Its paper bedding.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it's not safe. There's been a lot of stuff in the news recently, and some companies have pulled their bedding with soda added off the market. I'd take it back and exchange it.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I could have told you 15 years ago that baking soda bedding would be a problem. Who decided this was a good idea to market....

kamkam822

Cavy Slave
I don't use that kind of bedding but I was just curious why that's so bad for Guinea pigs?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Baking soda (sodium bicarbinate) is very high in sodium which would be dangerous if they eat it. 1259 mg per teaspoon

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I've seen SoPhresh as cat litter. It's very dusty but I haven't seen it sold as guinea pig bedding. It's granular.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Respiratory irritation and infections happens in rodents with baking soda added to bedding or bathing dust. Deaths have even occurred in rats. Ingesting it also carries risk. Remember baking soda and vinegar volcanos? It has even been used to induce vomiting in humans because of the similar reaction when it hits stomach acid. Rodents and some other herbivores cannot expel gas or vomit. The stomach valve is one way. It will rupture first or push excessive amounts of gas in to the intestines.

kamkam822

Cavy Slave
Oh wow!! Glad I don't use it

yubie

Cavy Slave
I am just bumping this up in the thread from archive?? so that it can be view again. I did not consider the baking soda in the product that I use, both Carefresh and Petco So Phresh.

nuoamy

Cavy Slave
Carefresh recently changed their formula and added the baking soda, right? They say it is baked in and not in powder form, so therefore safe. Is it baked in in the SoPhresh, or loose? I was thinking of trying it....

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Oh no, I have been using carefresh with baking soda, is that one okay...:sad:

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have always used it with no issues, andwill continue to use it. In my experience it is fine

jenirose2308

Cavy Gazer
Has anyone experienced here their guinea pig having problems with it cuz I bought it today not knowing this. The ingredients weren't on the package. I really don't want her to have any problems.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It depends how you're using it, I imagine if you're using it as the absorbent layer under some fleece it wouldn't be a problem.

Also, when I was a novice pig owner I used all kinds of random crap i bought at petco, and the only thing I noticed was my pigs sneezing a lot. As long as your pig isn't compromised (doesn't have a URI or any other respiratory or nutritional problems) you should be able to use it one time without any problem, and then buy a different brand, like Carefresh, next time (though when giving veggies I recommend putting down a towel or something so she doesn't eat the baking soda). You could also buy a different brand and mix it, and so dilute it so that there's less of the so phresh, and therefore less baking soda, for a longer time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.