Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Where in Australia are you?

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
Fine, if you say you've stopped, then we just have to take your word for it. Like I said before, I'm just saying what I saw. If you've changed, that's great.

LucyLou

Cavy Slave
I think people just need to calm down and stop pointing the finger. Show some respect and approach others via private message before you slander them on a public forum. Bree has done nothing to provoke this obviously unfounded attack.

I think like Bree has already said, Moderators need to step in here! I came here to post about where I lived.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
Yes, you do.
Bottom line:
I do not show.
I do most definitely do not breed.
My cavies are all in adequate space, as per guineapigcages.com.
I run a disciplined, organised rescue.
I promote the protection of cavy welfare - and agree and stand by the morals of Cavy Spirit and what I say on my website.

One more thing you seem to not answer every time I bring it up ...
You STILL haven't told me who you are, or why you came to my house.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
Thanks LucyLou.
I did not appreciate the unwarranted attack, and obviously wouldn't want this here if I had a choice - but I'd rather this got moved to another thread than stay in this one.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
How does who I am or why I came over change anything I've said? It's irrelevant, so I've chosen not to answer those questions. You're just looking for an opportunity to attack me personally, and I'm not interested in going there.

I don't think I actually attacked anyone. Yes, I'm sure Bree would have preferred this conversation to take place in PMs, but my object here wasn't to make Bree's life more comfortable. My experience of her was that she was a breeder claming to be a rescue. I went to her with the object of obtaining a rescued piggie, and was offered a pig bred by her. If that information is no longer true, I am glad (as I have said repeatedly). However, I wouldn't call it an 'unwarranted attack'. I would call it sharing information that I had about another member of this forum (with moderator approval, I may add).

Just one last thing, and then I think I'm about done with this conversation. While we're education people as to the definition of words:

slan·der n.
  1. Law. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
  2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.
I think the word you're looking for is:

li·bel n.
    1. A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.
    2. The act of presenting such material to the public.
  1. The written claims presented by a plaintiff in an action at admiralty law or to an ecclesiastical court.
But my statements were not false or malicious, I told what I saw. Therefore, it is neither slander nor libel.

thecavyrescue said:
Bottom line:
I do not show.
I do most definitely do not breed.
My cavies are all in adequate space, as per guineapigcages.com.
I run a disciplined, organised rescue.
I promote the protection of cavy welfare - and agree and stand by the morals of Cavy Spirit and what I say on my website.

Good.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
It matters who you are, because for all I know you're just one of the many enemies I have made standing up for what I believe in trying to bring my rescue down.

It matters because it's extremely easy to accuse anyone of anything when noone knows who you are.

How could you have come here with the objection to obtain a rescue piggie, and then have me offer you a pig bred by me when you said yourself you didn't meet me?

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
Also, well done LucyLou for finding finding an excellent word to describe what was done by Kysanthemum. Slander. And thank you Krysanthemum for giving everyone the definition, just to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

You're statements were false, you said you knew for a fact I bred pigs. I don't.
What is that information? FALSE.

And it most definitely was an unwarranted attack, you did not PM me or give me warning, nor contact me by PM after I explained a PM would have been appreciated.
Especially because this was and IS a thread about where we live.

Banana

Cavy Slave
I am in Kogarah, Sydney....

Krysanthemum, when i first read your original post i was quite upset. My first thought was , this is very close to defamation. I was surprised to see someone speak so badly about this rescue. I understand the reasons behind it- none of us would want to see a breeder posing as a rescue, however my experience has been very different.

I have been visting The Care Rescue for about a year now since i adopted two of my girls there and continue to visit on a regular basis (every month or so) to drop in my donation.

It is true that some of the pigs have been housed in small cages, ones that would not thought to be appropriate in terms of cavy cages standards. However, Bree has been laboriously building c & c cages and all but a handful of the pigs live in them now. She has also bought huge cages for the rabbits. The last time i visited, Bree was in the process of building the last few cages for the pigs that still needed them. At this point she hadn't finished because she could not find any cubes (help her out ppl, if you see some let her know!)

Although i believe strongly that pigs and rabbits should not be kept in small cages, i never thought badly of the rescue. Bree provides a good home for neglected animals. They are fed a proper diet for a guinea pig, right down to the grass hay which is so hard to find in Sydney. I'd prefer to see them in small cages than left out in the wild.

I would not believe any of the pigs to be fat. They are large because most of her pet pigs are quite old and they are boars. As she has said, they receive floor time for exercise ( i have witnessed this many times).

Bree also amazes me with her knowledge of her animals, be they her own pets or rescue pigs and rabbits. She knows which ones she can house together, which ones need special housing due to ailments and which need special individual arrangements.

It is also important to remeber that she runs a chraitable organisation. All the money she puts into the 30 plus pigs and around 10 rabbits she cares for comes from her own pocket and although there was mention of a fee for adoption, i don't recall being asked for one at all. This is quite an expense and she runs the rescue mostly on her own with some help from her mother at times.

I guess my main point is- I happened to come across this rescue and have found it to be a fantastic place. Krystanthemum, I understand why you were worried, however it may have been prudent to contact the rescue and arrange for another visit. Although it may not have been what you wanted, I think you may have made this fantastic rescue look horrible to many people. I am worried that this will put off potential adopters.

There is such a large amount of pigs and especially rabbits that need homes, please contact this rescue and talk to Bree. I am sure she would be happy for you to come and visit. In my experience i have found her to be a caring, dedicated and knowledgeable rescuer.

Thanks,
Ana
(Nikita and Odessa-Pearl say thanks Bree!)

Matt & Guins

Cavy Slave
Oh dear - another classic example of where members of this forum are jumping to conclusions before gaining correct and up to date information.

I have spoken to people involved in the cavy fancy here in Australia over this, and each and everyone had the same answer - that bree has not bred cavies, purchased cavies, exhibited cavies or even attended a show in a very long time.

Hopefully this thread can get back on track as to what it was created for - to find out exactly where those members live in Australia.

Matt

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
Fair enough, others have more up to date information than I have. But please, stop calling what I said 'defamation' and 'slander'. I have read and re-read over and over what I posted, and I posted exactly what I saw. I never lied, I never made anything up, and I'm not entirely sure why I'M now being attacked. If it's out of date information, that's fine, I apologise. I've said repeatedly, if Bree's practice has changed, I'm glad.

I broached this subject with a moderator before I posted anything, and asked her if she thought I should post in on the public forum. She said I should, and that the person in question should be challenged (I'm paraphrasing here).

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
I acknowledge the fact that you consulted a moderator and followed her advice.
You didn't ask me questions, you just stated. You said "I know for a fact", it wasn't a fact. That's what got to me most.
You challenged, I answered. Touché.

LucyLou

Cavy Slave
Regardless of contacting a Moderator, your attack should have been first directed to Bree via PM. However, your improper behaviour led others to adopt the same tone.

By speaking about The Care Rescue (whether that be what you "saw" or not) you've narrowed the chances for some of those pigs. Way to go - that's saving a pig or two.. oh wait, Bree's the one who does that.

attack
v.
1. criticise adversely.
2. an offensive operation or mode of behaviour.

improper adj.
1. a) unseemly; indecent.
b) not in accordance with accepted rules of behaviour.
2. inacurate, wrong.
2. an offensive operation or mode of behaviour

touchè int.
1. the acknowledgement of a justified accusation, a witticm, or a point made in reply to one's own.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
I want to just explain something. My intent in posting this was not to question Bree directly, but to let others know that Bree may not be what she was claiming. I couldn't do that my PMing Bree, which is why I chose not to. I posted on a public board. I also chose not to start a new topic because I didn't think it was going to turn into this big a palarva. Bree could have simply answered by saying, 'No, that information is out of date, I don't do that anymore', and all this rubbish could have been avoided. I tried to be polite, so don't blame me for the tone of this thread (not that I am blaming Bree either, it simply got out of control).

Fine, nobody seems to like the way I went about this. It's a moot point at this stage. Others have posted more recent information, and the conversation is complete. Frankly, I wasn't going to post again.

LucyLou,

*I'm trying to say this without attacking*
I find it ironic that you are attacking me for (supposedly) attacking Bree. Unless you have met Bree or seen her set up, I *respectfully* don't understand why you felt the need to continue this discussion. I've not attacked you. Both Banana and Matt&Guins have posted more recent observations regarding thecarerescue's set up. I'm happy to take their observations and let this all go.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
You may not have wanted this to cause a big palarva, but what you were stating was serious and I took it seriously.

"I find it ironic that you are attacking me for (supposedly) attacking Bree."

You did attack me. It was about my cavies and all I stand for. It was personal, and when it comes to my pets and rescues - it is very, very personal.

LucyLou has met me, and I have met her. She is by the way, an excellent cavy slave (no doubt you weren't questioning that).

I did pretty much say that information is out of date on the first post, and you continued to post more "evidence", to which I must obviously reply - so that's what caused the length and the tone of this thread (which was supposed to be about where we live). I don't know what else you could have expected. You can see how I would have found what you said offensive - particularily about the overweight cavy, who was a boar in excellent health.

Also, you can understand my frustration about me not knowing who you are, and changing your story twice (once saying you didn't meet me personally and then saying you came to my house and then I offered you a pig bred by me... and not clearing this up when I asked about it).

I understand you probably won't ever clear up your story - and I can deal with that.
You didn't actually say I MAY not be what I was claiming to be, but what I was - which was apparently not a suitable cavy rescue.

"you certainly aren't the CavySpirit definition of a rescue."

That's a pretty definite statement to make. The only rescue I would want to be would be one that fits the definition of a CavySpirit rescue.

While I would have done the same if I was in your position, I would have made sure my information was up to date (not 1.5 + years old), and be 100% certain it was correct. I would certainly not accuse an organisation that does good of being a poor definition of a rescue without confirmation, when what I'm trying to do is help the animals that need it. And I probably would have PMed first, regardless.

I'm let this all go as well, and if anyone else has any doubts about our morals as a rescue - please feel free to PM me.

I know I am an excellent rescue, I help homeless pigs and rabbits - and I take pride in what I do.
Now the conversation is complete.
Thank you.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
I just want to clarify two parts of that, and then it can just end.

thecarerescue said:
Also, you can understand my frustration about me not knowing who you are, and changing your story twice (once saying you didn't meet me personally and then saying you came to my house and then I offered you a pig bred by me... and not clearing this up when I asked about it).

My story did not change, I said that I didn't meet you because you were ill that day, and that I met your mother. Later, I said I was offered a bred pig when I had expected a rescued pig. I did not specifically state who it was that made the offer (to clarify futher, I found an ad on the internet for the pig in question, and spoke to you via email to arrange a meeting time. The meeting actually took place with your mother). So the two statements are not at all contradictory.

Lastly, my information is less than 12 months old. I chose not to follow up directly with you because I thought if you had changed your ways as a result of reading cavyspirit, I would have seen an "Oh my god, I've seen the error of my ways" post. As to your opinion as to how you would have handled the situation, hindsight is 20/20.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
That is partially what I wanted to know.

"As to your opinion as to how you would have handled the situation, hindsight is 20/20."

It's called using tact.

Alanas

Cavy Slave
cavy_lover said:
I live in Sydney in the Western Suburbs near Blacktown : )

Hey I am in Blacktown too!

Alanas

Cavy Slave
Bree, I have a heap of cubes I no longer need. I turned my multi level into a single level I have about 30 cubes and you may have them for free. I also have coroflute from signs by my students union, some of them have print on the like "don't let Howard take the Uni out of Community" lol but you can put it on the under side so people cannot see it. I would love to help you out by supplying you with some cubes. So if you have a day where you are free I can drop them over to the rescue. I have added you to my msn so we can talk on there. :)

hutchthecavy

Cavy Slave
And I like to change it back to the topic and bury the past,

I live in,
state: Victoria,
city: melbourne,
Suburb(s): Carnegie and Prahran,

P.S I think this was posted a bit slow, sorry:sorry:

AngelaT

Cavy Slave
Better late then never :) im in the Inner West of Sydney about 5 km from the CBD :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.