Thread: whats wrong with her? please answer!

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

whats wrong with her? please answer!

Ok so yesterday my sweet 3 month old baby piggies (female) was sweet and wheeked and crawled into my hand and was happy....today something happened...pkease read my story thx:
    I got home and.gave them more.hay (usually she popcorns and goes wild) and all sje.did was sit there and chatter (I think it didnt sound like a purr). Her cage-mate went and ate and she continues to sit. I took her out and set her on my lap and she chattered every time I toucjed her sides....sje wasnt her usual wheeking self...I am very worried! What is wrong with her? She (I dont think) can be pregnant because the owners we got her from said that they had boys but never let her come in contact with each other! Could it be puberty?? Please help!! If you have question I will answer back!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/16 Posts

Re: whats wrong with her? please answer!

I am not highly experienced with female piggies, but what I believe you are seeing is her in "heat". Basically, she is in her mating stage. This should only last a few days and she should be back to normal. Once again, I am not an expert on female piggies.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    206 Rec'd/165 Posts

If she doesn't start eating and moving around normally take her to vet to be looked over and listened to. Make sure she doesn't go too long without eating if things get worse before a vet trip. Lethargy, which is just lack of activity or less response to surroundings, can be the first sign of a problem. It's not usually a major health problem but it can be. I had a new guinea pig who got really friendly with me and wasn't very active. He died 5 days later from a respiratory infection that didn't respond to antibiotics. His desire to hide next to us without reacting to things was all we had to go on before we took him to the vet. Usually there's more warning. If it's a respiratory infection often you can hear a click or crackle when they breath if you put your ear against them. Also I would isolate her for awhile until she poops and pees on some light colored fleece or paper towels (a box or plastic storage container, no lid, works for just a few hours to get samples) and see what it looks like. If she's not pooping or peeing normally along with lack of activity and appetite there could be a blockage, urinary infection, etc... Those are common problems. If you don't find more symptoms and she goes back to eating hay soon she is probably fine. She could always just not be hungry enough right now or some noise outside you didn't notice scared her so she's being quiet and still like a prey animal in the wild trying not to be noticed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/23 Posts

I have one that always walks around making that noise.
    we call her the complainer because she sounds like she is always complaining about something

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pigs View Post
    I am not highly experienced with female piggies, but what I believe you are seeing is her in "heat". Basically, she is in her mating stage. This should only last a few days and she should be back to normal. Once again, I am not an expert on female piggies.
    Nope. Not heat.

If she seemed uncomfortable when you touched her she could also have mites.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmyOddieIndy View Post
    Nope. Not heat.

If she seemed uncomfortable when you touched her she could also have mites.
    Oops. I apologize for that!

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

@Nicks Pig
    @aqf88
    @ClemmyOddielndy
    I have already treated her for mites...but good new..she back to normal! I honestly dont know what got into her! Now she is back to normal: crawlimg in my hands when I say "Come to mamma". She is wheeling loudly and is running and popcorning all around! I wondered what happened!? One minute sje is all moody the next she is herself, her sweet wonderful self! Im happy as ever to know she is ok!!

User Tag List