Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

Unhappy Im devastated! Some people

I simply emailed a person on craigslist who had a mother and pups up for "rehoming" and told them a few things that the cage was to small ETC. And I even gave them the link for this sight! But this is what they emailed me back with and exactly what I said to them

ME: Not only is your cage not big enough for four guinea pigs it is also WAY to small for one. Please do your research you are not providing enough space for her. Guinea pigs are VERY social creatures, they deserve to be in 10sq ft of cage space and live in same sex pairs. http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/index.php
    Please visit this site for more info

THEM: It's supposed to be 1 guinea pig living in the cage. But it's fine I fed her to my snake anyway so there's none left

Sent from my iPhone

I know snakes need to eat to but the way they put it just saddens me.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

Re: Im devastated! Some people

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

The fact that you emailed them stating the cage was too small after they stated that in their ad was just rude of you. They even stated they were down to one left. I would have gave you the same reply. And told you to learn to to comprehend what you read.

4. "Thank you, lunarminx, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    696 Rec'd/601 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

I have a feeling she just wrote that back to you because she was po'd about what what you so correctly told her. That is what I want to believe anyway. She sounds like an absolute smart ass. Thank you so much for trying to help ignorant people like that.

This is Classified info, I'd rather not tell...
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    110 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Just a question: If she told you she fed it to her snake, then why does it say "I'm asking a small fee so that they don't become snake food."?! This confuses me. I'm glad you were trying to help.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

I agree with Kelsie. She didn't like your email so made up that part about the snake, knowing it would upset you.

I used to email people about the bad conditions I saw on Craigslist, but most people respond negatively. Most of the time they just want to get rid of the pigs anyway, so don't really care about cage size.

Now I don't respond unless I am actually in a position to take the guinea pigs in. If it's a really bad situation where the pigs are in danger, I want to get them out of there asap. I don't say anything negative, in case they decide not to let me have the pigs after all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

I agree with @lunarminx. Granted, the cage IS too small, but she already acknowledged that in her post. She probably felt like she was being attacked by you. I believe that a majority of pigs through out the world probably live in cages far too small for them, because that is what is being marketed in pet stores and has been shown commercially for a very long time as the perfect or acceptable habitat. She may not have had enough space for even one guinea pig, but at least after the pups were born she probably realized the cage was definitely too small for four and probably couldn't do anything better for them so was attempting to rehome them.

Her reply was probably just for a little a rise out of you because you did come off as self-righteous and high and mighty. Everyone on this site, I am sure, at one point or another, has made a mistake with their pigs and attacking someone over it when they really just didn't know isn't right. Not everyone assumes that what a pet store tells them or what is seen in pet ad's is wrong, so expecting everyone to come on here looking for alternatives to cages is just unreasonable.

Your reply to her post was actually just kind of unwarranted seeing as she was looking for new homes for them anyway. If someone sent that sort of email to me for anything I had posted on craigslist, I probably would have reacted the same way.
    Last edited by foggycreekcavy; 02-27-15 at 04:26 pm. Reason: added breaks

9. "Thank you, 4cavies, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Another thing... At least she was trying to rehome them rather than dump them in a park or water drain like some people do.

11. "Thank you, 4cavies, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

I agree with everyone else. I'm sure it was a just an angry response to your email. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Quoted
    698 Post(s)

Well, no one likes to be corrected so obviously her response was made up and simply meant to annoy you. It was essentially trolling. Getting people to be open to change and to see it your way is all in the approach. And although you were correct, you did come on a bit strong. She responded like that because it annoyed her.

14. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    I have a feeling she just wrote that back to you because she was po'd about what what you so correctly told her. That is what I want to believe anyway. She sounds like an absolute smart ass. Thank you so much for trying to help ignorant people like that.
    **Need to get rid of them asap the cage is not big enough for 4 guinea pigs**

She wasn't ignorant, she had a sow that had babies. No mention of a male at all. Chances are like so many, she bought a pregnant sow. And Piggylover chewed her out on something she already knew and was trying to rectify as the ad stated. It even stated a small re homing fee so they wouldn't be snake food.

Thanks
    Thanks
    696 Rec'd/601 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

By ignorant, I didn't mean in intelligence. I meant by the smart ass remark that she made back to the op. If she was insulted by what was said to her she just could have ignored the comments. Saying she fed the baby to her snake was just a hateful remark.

The op meant well by trying to help by giving her this site for any information that she might derive from it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    The op meant well by trying to help by giving her this site for any information that she might derive from it.
    Little late for that, though, seeing as she had already rehomed all but one. It just wasn't a necessary thing to do, and by doing it she had practically implied that the woman was mistreating an animal when she has absolutely no proof whatsoever of this. I would not take kindly to someone inferring that I mistreated any animal, either. It was almost done in such a way that I am surprised the OP expected any other sort of reaction. She made it sound as if she was cruel to the pigs so she gave her something to think her cruel for. If you can't help the guinea pigs yourself, or know of someone who can help, then it is just best to keep to yourself. This would be the kind of information you send to someone who is in search of a guinea pig on craigslist, not to someone rehoming (of course, done in a less high handed way would be the best way to go).

But.... Just my opinion as it in no way involves me.

18. "Thank you, 4cavies, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Too many people feel a need to write people on Craigslist offering unsolicited advice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/unsolicited-advice/

The first is best....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lauren...b_6061798.html

20. "Thank you, lunarminx, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

@lunarminx Absolutely true!
    See, the thing is... If I was being referred to this forum by someone who spoke to me like that I would more than likely make the assumption that they were all a bunch of holier-than-thou throat jumpers and steer clear. Doesn't make the forum look too nice, in my honest opinion.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Okay, guys. Give her a break. She was concerned for the guinea pig. We learn from our mistakes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    110 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Yes. Please, calm down. She did come on a little bit strong. The description DID say that she knew the cage was to small for *4* guinea pigs, which was a bit obvious to see. I'm not just making assumptions, but the person may have thought that having one or two in there was fine. She was planning on rehoming them, though.

AND it would have been nicer of her to politely say, "I understand that, that is why I was rehoming them. Thank you for your concern, however." Or something like that, not make up a whole "I fed the last guinea pig to my snake" when the description CLEARLY states: "I am asking a small rehoming fee of $25 to avoid them being fed to a snake.". Does she really think you'd fall for that? Unless it was some smart-aleck comment saying that she knew that and didn't really care about your concern, she thought you were just being rude. It might have seemed rude to her, but to me it seemed like a fellow guinea pig owner offering some helpful advice to another, even if the person being offered the advice didn't really need it, if any of that makes sense.

Let's just narrow it down to: We all make mistakes, we learn, and @piggielover200 was only concerned. My case is closed.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

I actually dont mind the criticism! I can see where everyone is coming from and I know that it will only help me grow as a person! I am only in highschool and I appreciate all the feedback from everyone! I have talked to the person and apologized for my email coming across rudely, this is the reply I got and I am satisfied with my actions. Thanks for everyone giving me advice!! I truly appreciate EVERYONE!!!

THIS IS THE REPLY
    I like animals too but at the end of the day they're animals. Trust me my animals get treated much better than if they lived in the wild. Out there it's survival of the fittest. In the cage and out with my daughter like she is it's eat as much as you want get carrots all the time be cared for and not worry about predators. My dog same thing when they lived in the wild they didn't get all the luxeries of being on a couch inside when it's 5 degrees. They went and curled up next to a tree out of the wind and they survived that way. So whatever the guinea pigs get inside a warm house with an abundance of food is still better than the alternative. Which is becoming eagle food.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    110 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by piggielover200 View Post
    I actually dont mind the criticism! I can see where everyone is coming from and I know that it will only help me grow as a person! I am only in highschool and I appreciate all the feedback from everyone! I have talked to the person and apologized for my email coming across rudely, this is the reply I got and I am satisfied with my actions. Thanks for everyone giving me advice!! I truly appreciate EVERYONE!!!

THIS IS THE REPLY
    I like animals too but at the end of the day they're animals. Trust me my animals get treated much better than if they lived in the wild. Out there it's survival of the fittest. In the cage and out with my daughter like she is it's eat as much as you want get carrots all the time be cared for and not worry about predators. My dog same thing when they lived in the wild they didn't get all the luxeries of being on a couch inside when it's 5 degrees. They went and curled up next to a tree out of the wind and they survived that way. So whatever the guinea pigs get inside a warm house with an abundance of food is still better than the alternative. Which is becoming eagle food.
    Hooray! Ends meet!

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

@BaconAndEggs Thank you for being so kind I wish there was more people in the world like you! I wish I had friends like you! If you ever want to chat PM me. Hehe THanks again!!

User Tag List