Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

when an older piggie dies...

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
I know that this isn't a very popular subject, but our older piggie is 5 1/2 years old, and we want to be prepared BEFORE something happens.

Junior was adopted from the Humane Society at 5 weeks old, and had been there since he was 3 weeks old. He has really only known one other guinea pig - Mr. Pigg his entire life. He has a dominant personality, and the two of them squabble from time to time. But he is also VERY dependent on his "big brother," and we are sure he would never make it if he had to live alone. He cries for his friend even when we separate them just long enough to clean out Mr. Pigg's sac. So when it comes time for Mr. Pigg to travel to Piggie Heaven, we are wondering if it would be better to:

1. get him a young boar for a roommate
2. have him neutered & get him a "girlfriend" or
3. try to find an older or same-age boar for him to room with

Now we know that this could be a few years down the road still, but we'd like to have some idea of what we ought to be looking for as rescues around here don't seem to have single piggies very often. And also if it takes us awhile to find another piggie, other than tons of extra cuddle-time what would we be able to do for him while we are hunting & during the initial 3-week isolation period???

Thanks so much :)

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
I would say that the young boar would be the best option. If he was already going though the stress of losing his buddy, he shouldn't be put through being neutered, and it might be hard for him to get along with an older boar.
As for the isolation, maybe you could adopt the pig before your older pig passes on, and have three pigs for a while?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I would go with option 1 or find an already spayed sow to put with him.

Love_my_piggies

Cavy Slave
I agree with Ly. I think if you could find a spayed sow it might be better because the dominance issues may be a little less involved. But then, I've only had girls and I know how moody and picky they are with new roommates :crazy:

C&K

Cavy Slave
It is possible that rescues get single boars fairly often, but don't want them to live alone and pair them up with other single boars that they get in before finding them homes together. I think if you contacted a few rescues in the area and let them know when the time comes you are looking for a single boar to keep yours company, they may be more able to help then you may think...

Just a thought, I could be wrong. Anyone else think a trio might work if she got another baby boar before Mr. Piggs crosses the Rainbow bridge? I only have two girls, and that is about my personal experience, so I don't want to go offering suggestions, but this sounds like a plausable solution...

laura220

Cavy Slave
I'd say a young boar. You could even get the younger boar sometime soon so he'll bond to another pig too and it'd be easier for him when Mr. Pigg passes on, he'd have someone to comfort him.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The question is how much space do you have and can you take care of 3 for possibly years? Mischief died at 9yrs old. I have dated photos and know the year he was born. If you get another young pig now you could end up with 3 for many years and the oldest one might not even be the first to pass on. Also getting a younger pig means you'll be in this situation again when the current younger one gets older. My preference is to pair up similar aged adult pigs. They will usually either get along or not get along quite plainly. A baby is more likely to get along in the first place and less stressful introduction but you can never tell if they will get along long term or start arguing when the baby grows up. I'd rather go through the stress right off of introducing them than have problems some unknown day in the future.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I agree on the younger boar or spayed sow, but I would wait until the inevitable passing of Mr. Pigg. If you get a third now, you could end up with 2 sad piggies on your hands.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
I'm getting CoCo a boy-toy sooner or later.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.