Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two weeks in and there's something wrong with Rogue.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Two weeks in and there's something wrong with Rogue.

Just as a disclaimer, I want to state she is going to the vet at 2 today so I don't get a bunch of 'take her now!!!1' type responses. More looking for similar experiences and stories, for sake of mind.

So, I got a pair of piggies near the start of Feb, and they've been doing great. Eating, drinking, slowly taming. The fleece bedding has been a battle on my end, but the piggies are great.

Mine, the momma at 1.5 years, is Rogue. She's vocal, vibrant, and has a big personality. I went out of town for the fair for a few days, and left them in the care of the rest of my large family who was well trained in Guinea Pig care and had a huge sign for a reminder of piggy care as well as daily calls...

Well, two days ago they thought something happened. Rogue was putting her head in the air more often, and swaying it side to side. Almost getting on her hind legs and dancing. Then she would run around and do it again. They searched every piggy problem for hours on the internet and came up with nil...the most reasonable answer was that she was in heat/had dust in her nose...

Then when I got back yesterday, I heard that whole story and watched Rogue and studied what she was doing throughout the night with my bf.

At 6 or so she was just head bobbing, not violently and not tilted. Up and down, circles, while walking and while standing still. We thought it was more cute than worrisome. We picked her up and held her for a bit and she was all snuggles. Then, for some reason, she laid sideways on my bf's hand and didn't upright herself. For 20 mins she laid on her side.

So we put her back and she went and took a nap.

Around 10 we poked in again after reading a plethora of posts and itusis, and again she head bobbed. She came out of her castle and walked toward us, but she was sort of wobbly. We picked her up and this time she immediately went to her side as we held her. We took her into the light and checked her ears for mites and discharge, nothing. Her mouth for stuck food, nothing. Her nose for discharge and dust, nothing. The only off thing was her eyes, which had one pale white speck of goopy and were a tad watery. Which, of course she didn't like having the light in her eyes so we finally got to hear angry teeth chattering.

So we cuddled her and got some purrs, then put her back in her cage. And she fell over. She got up, and fell over. Walked in a circle and fell over 3 more times. Then made her way into the pigloo...and Rosetta, her daughter, turned the entrance of the pigloo to the side of the cage and spent the night with her. (Usually Rosetta rumblestruts at Rogue and attempts to get her to go to the castle because she claimed the pigloo, but not this time.).

So, this morning my bf got up with them and interacted with them and Rogue was perky but wobbly, still bobbing. When I got up I went to give them Romaine (their favorite), and not even a peep at the sound of tearing leaves. I reached towards the pigloo and the mass of fur that is Rogue and pet her...she didn't even flinch. Which, as I said, we've had them for two weeks, she always jumps when 'the hand' comes in for the first time unannounced. I managed to poke a piece of Romaine at the side of the fur ball I thought was her face and it was taken with quiet gratitude...no hops, wiggles, wheeks, or squeaks... Then out she came towards the veggie spot, and down she went every step of the way...

I managed to find a vet 35 mins away, which isn't too bad of a drive to a people, but I hope Rogue does okay...

Anyway, I just felt the need to sort of...I don't know, document the story. No video or article I read even came close to this sort of behavior, and if I were to guess, best case scenario is a severe inner ear infection, and worse case is neurological damage. I'm trying not to play the guessing game and just wait for the vet to get some answers, but it's hard.

Yeah...thanks for reading, and I'll be sure to post the results of the vet meeting. (Optimism alert) I'm going to punch myself if we get there and they say that's just how piggys act when constipated or something.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,424 Rec'd/5,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    2074 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4007 Post(s)

Re: Two weeks in and there's something wrong with Rogue.

Sounds to me like she's either got some vestibular disease in her ear, which can cause the kind of behavior you describe, or she's had a stroke. There's nothing to be done for either scenario, but she may recover fully from either one, or possibly have some residual damage. Just keep food right by her, as well as a water bottle, and keep an eye on her.

I had one with similar symptoms, and she recovered fully after a day or so and has had no problems at all since.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

I have no idea, but I wanted to tell you I take my pigs with complicated health problems to a vet that is about 45 minute-1hour (depends on traffic) away. They've never had a problem with the trip, and I've taken some really sick pigs there before.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Could even be an inner ear infection and her balance is off.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

Oh your poor piggy I hope you get some answers from the vet. I don't know anything about this kind of behavior but I'm thinking of you and hope you're able to update us after your vet visit (which checking the time, should be now).

Hoping for the best for you all!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,424 Rec'd/5,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    2074 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4007 Post(s)

inner ear infection = vestibular problem

Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

It does sound like ear infection symptoms... Let us know what your vet says!

This is Classified info, I'd rather not tell...
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    110 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Hope she ends up okay!!!

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Phew... Long day of piggy after-maintenance. This vet trip landed on a cage cleaning day so there was much fun in the air.

So, the vet took a look at Rogue and said it is not an ear infection and there are no visible signs of anything other than that her neck muscles are incredibly weak and she seems thin. The rescue foster I adopted them from said they were the skinniest pigs she'd seen when she got them, so it has been a work in progress to get them to the weight they are now...

Anyway, he threw around some possibilities including deficiencies other than C, neurological or skeletal damage from a fall or injury...but nothing absolute until more tests were done. He gave her an antibiotic to administer daily and said to seperate her to a smaller enclosure to ensure she was eating enough and didn't have to move too much/compete with Rosetta.

Overall I'm not....really satisfied with him as a vet. Then again, I have been around doctors and nurses all my life and I know the difference between a good and bad doctor and believe fervently that patient doctor interaction is a cornerstone of care, and he just didn't provide.

He kept calling Rogue a he, held her just by her stomach, kept insinuating that I wasn't feeding her well and didn't seem to believe Timothy Hay was her main diet despite the fact that I brought a bag of it for eating/emergency as well as veggies daily despite the fact that I also brought some Romaine for snacking/emergency. And as much as I dislike saying it, there was clear language difficulty on his part...

.So yeah...no real answers...but Rogue seems content having some space from Rosetta and the idea that she can poop in her pellets while eating from the hayrack simultaneously...

Side note, does anyone else's pig pop into reverse mid-nibble to back into a corner and poop? They're so ridiculous. I swear Rogue walks backwards more than forwards with all her poopin.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Oh, also, picture of her on her side, her new abode and the main cage. They're fun flavored!

So lonely in the big cage without all the poops.

Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/120 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)

Sorry and I hope she gets better soon!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,424 Rec'd/5,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    2074 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4007 Post(s)

Ugh. The vet sounds like someone you don't want to see again. Are there other exotic vets around you?

Hope your piggy gets better.

13. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

to be honest, it kinda sounds like she had a stroke to me. . . one of our cats did that kind of behavior after he had a stroke (vet said it was a stroke anyway). would fall over on his side midstride and just lay there for minutes at a time. then would struggle to his feet or belly crawl onward. was the worst thing I've ever had to go through with a cat! we finally took him to the vet and had him put down, he wasn't very old either, only 4 years I believe, pretty young for an indoor only kitty.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I really hope she makes a full recovery. it can be very hard when they are sick or down!

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Are there younger children in your large family? And/or could it be that someone dropped her while you were away and feels too ashamed to admit it? Other than that I second what everyone else is saying. I just find it slightly suspicious it just happened to coincide with you leaving them in your families care.

It's one thing to know how to care for a guinea pig it's another to be experienced at handling them so that they don't fall and others might not be as careful with them as you would be. I'm sure I'm probably wrong and that it's truly just a coincidence but that's the first thought I had when you said it was when you were away that it happened.

I hope she recovers either way!

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Fay:

Well, my daughter (5) was with me, and she's the youngest. The only person who picks them up is my dad, and he treats every living creature like it's the baby Jesus. My older brother is autistic and will not under any circumstances lie, so when I asked everyone if anything at all could have happened, even an accident, and they said no, I believe them.

EcthalionMCB:

I've had that thought as well... I've known people and animals who've had strokes, and it does sound like it could fit... I wouldn't mind having a special needs pig (I'm used to caring for the people version), but I hope it doesn't end up being the case for her sake.

Thank you all for your well wishes and advice, I'll try to catch a video of her walking during floor time tomorrow and share it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Do you know exactly what was fed to her? I knew of someone who had fed their guinea pig garlic (poisonous) and these were his exact symptoms.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

4cavies:

Aside from Timothy Hay and pellets, she had Romaine Lettuce daily, carrots last Tuesday and Saturday, Blueberries last Friday, and celery on Sunday and this recent Tuesday.

I've been slowly introducing new veggies, but for sure no garlic. The only garlic in the house is a dried spice in my room.

The only thing foodwise that has been in any way bad was the celery on Tuesday was sliced along the string instead of across, and since I arrived that afternoon I saw it and took it away from them. I read that the long strings can get stuck in their throats and stuff which was what I checked her mouth for on that first day.

I just did a search and the closest thing to cross contamination I could find is that the green pepper I gave her before I left was kept in the same drawer of the fridge as a wrapped box of mushrooms.

20. "Thank you, knirpslyn1, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by knirpslyn1 View Post
    4cavies:

Aside from Timothy Hay and pellets, she had Romaine Lettuce daily, carrots last Tuesday and Saturday, Blueberries last Friday, and celery on Sunday and this recent Tuesday.

I've been slowly introducing new veggies, but for sure no garlic. The only garlic in the house is a dried spice in my room.

The only thing foodwise that has been in any way bad was the celery on Tuesday was sliced along the string instead of across, and since I arrived that afternoon I saw it and took it away from them. I read that the long strings can get stuck in their throats and stuff which was what I checked her mouth for on that first day.

I just did a search and the closest thing to cross contamination I could find is that the green pepper I gave her before I left was kept in the same drawer of the fridge as a wrapped box of mushrooms.
    Mushrooms are also poisonous to pigs. I was thinking if she had had tomato and gotten some leaves or vine... I honestly don't know if there could have some how been some small amount of cross contamination in this case, really... I sort of doubt it, though. Were the mushroom still completely shrink wrapped? Poisoning can cause neurological damage which is why some poisoned animals will behave that way (losing balance, strange movements).

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

I also know that pin pointing poisoning can be difficult for a vet unless they are experienced with pigs and ask what they've come into contact with or ate. Also, have you used any cleaners around their cage?

User Tag List