Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other dog won't eat. Need help!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for this info! There might be a problem with this, though. As a lot of you may know, there is a really bad drought in California, so the price of pretty much everything goes up. I'm in California, and I'm not sure if my mom would let me buy a bunch of chicken for the dog, but I'll see. I'll look more into it and also at dry food. Thanks again!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Oh, okay. I learned about raw food for dogs in school and I remember it being quite a bit of work to get the balances right. Sorry about that!
When I first started researching a raw diet, I remember the focus on a "perfect balance" that is overwhelming and almost discouraged me from trying it at all, until I read some comments from folks who had been doing it for years that explained the focus is more about a balance over time rather than trying to formulate a perfectly balanced meal each and every time ... after all, we don't do that for ourselves. The BARF version doesn't make much sense to me, even now, but the diet commonly called 'prey model raw' does and it's much easier to figure out and follow, though the notion that it's actually anything resembling 'prey model' is false, as to actually feed something like a dog's wolf ancestors would eat, you'd have to throw them a raw, whole, furred animal (say, a rabbit) once every few days or so and I know I myself am not, and I know very few folks who would be comfortable feeding my dogs that way.

Thanks for this info! There might be a problem with this, though. As a lot of you may know, there is a really bad drought in California, so the price of pretty much everything goes up. I'm in California, and I'm not sure if my mom would let me buy a bunch of chicken for the dog, but I'll see. I'll look more into it and also at dry food. Thanks again!
If you can find a local butcher or farmer and you explain what you're using the meat for, you will often be able to get the meat MUCH cheaper than buying from a grocery store. Things like chicken or turkey backs/necks can often be so cheap they're nearly free.

Not that anyone asked, but just for fun I'm attaching a pic of my three raw-fed mutts. People often comment on their fur, teeth, eyes, because they are so different (and healthier) than the kibble-fed dogs they are used to seeing.
ALF.jpg

Guineadog

Cavy Gazer
Same with my dog. We spouled him and gave him treats and human food. He soon refused to eat. And he used to eat like a hog. So we thought something was wrong. We cut all extra treats and now he is back to eating. We only give him treats little. It worked.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.