Thread: Would it be wise to house two neutered boars with a sow?

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Would it be wise to house two neutered boars with a sow?

I just found two lovely brothers up for adoption in my area! Yay! The problem is, is that I have a female piggie, who I don't think has ever been house with another pig before. Not only that, but I'm not really sure if these two males, This and That, are actually neutered (that'll be something I'll ask ahead of time, but assuming they are...) Would the boys be a bit agressive with each other with a female around despite being nuetered?

I would love to have them otherwise, as I can split my C&C cage to fit their needs, but I just don't think it'd be right to leave my little girl without a cage mate.

*I'm aware that I have a question asked if my guinea pig was pregnant, and I still don't know for sure, but she has 11 days before the deadline hits that she isn't expecting. So it's just a sit and wait game with all of this for now.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

Re: Would it be wise to house two neutered boars with a sow?

No, it's not a good idea to house two males with one female. They would most likely become competitive with each other over the female, particularly being in the same cage. A neutered male with multiple females is fine. One female with multiple males is not fine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    493 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

Re: Would it be wise to house two neutered boars with a sow?

The only success I have heard of with two neutered boars in with sows was when it was a large herd (10+ sows). Boars almost always will fight each other when in the presence of females regardless of whether they previously got along and regardless of whether they are in tact or neutered.

User Tag List