Thread: I have treated my grass in past summers. How long until it is safe?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts

I have treated my grass in past summers. How long until it is safe?

Hi everyone! I am new to these forums! We just brought a new little 3 month old girl into our home and I have been doing a lot of reading to make sure she is happy and healthy!

I live in a suburban neighborhood and I have been treating my grass since we built our house 6 years ago. I would really live my piggy to be able to play in our grass. If i dont treat it this coming summer, do you think it will be safe for her? My neighbors also treat their grass - could their treatments make my pig sick even if we dont treat our grass? I have also read that cut grass is not great for them. Is that true? I cant not cut my grass. How do you avoid this if you live in a suburban neighborhood? Do you grow pots of grass? Do you take them to the park? LOL. Or do you just bring fresh grass home from safe, country locations?

Thx for any feedback!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/16 Posts

Re: I have treated my grass in past summers. How long until it is safe?

Hi there! Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new piggy! Have you read that most piggies thrive with companionship? Plus, it makes watching them even more fun! I don't know much about fertilizers and lawn, but you can buy cat grass at your local Petco for $5-10. You can just cut away a little bit of grass once and a while and place it in your piggies cage!

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,513 Rec'd/6,003 Posts

Do you have a fenced back yard? Or could you fence off a small area to grow clean grass in? You'd have to make sure the neighborhood animals didn't pee and poop in it.

That said, guinea pigs can live just fine without ever going outside. You can get wheat grass seed from a nutrition store and grow that easily in flats in a sunny place.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pigs View Post
    Hi there! Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new piggy! Have you read that most piggies thrive with companionship? Plus, it makes watching them even more fun! I don't know much about fertilizers and lawn, but you can buy cat grass at your local Petco for $5-10. You can just cut away a little bit of grass once and a while and place it in your piggies cage!

Hi and thanks! I am not so sure about getting another piggy. We dont have a lot of space and I was worried about even having enough room for one. I did some rearranging to make room for our piggy cage. I do not think its big enough for two pigs. It may not be even be big enough for her once she is full grown.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Do you have a fenced back yard? Or could you fence off a small area to grow clean grass in? You'd have to make sure the neighborhood animals didn't pee and poop in it.

That said, guinea pigs can live just fine without ever going outside. You can get wheat grass seed from a nutrition store and grow that easily in flats in a sunny place.
    No our yard is not fenced. I wish it was but it is too expensive. I figured if we took her out we would buy a little play gate (like babies play in) or just concoct some kind of play area. I had a Guinea pig about 10 years ago and i remember he loved sitting in the grass munching away. I would just keep him in front of me and kinda put my legs around him.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Jeroszko View Post
    Hi and thanks! I am not so sure about getting another piggy. We dont have a lot of space and I was worried about even having enough room for one. I did some rearranging to make room for our piggy cage. I do not think its big enough for two pigs. It may not be even be big enough for her once she is full grown.
    The minimum cage size for one pig is 7.5 sq. feet, which is a 2x3 in storage cubes/grids. You'd be able to fit another pig in that size cage.

Pet store cages are pretty much always too small. They usually only offer 3-4 square feet of space. The only suitable pet store cage that I know of is the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat, which just meets the minimum size, so it'd be fine for 2 female pigs.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts

Gosh I am not sure what to do. I don't have room for a cage that big. I am going to need to figure this out.

So something like this is the minimum?

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=smal...6-catid-600011

i guess i have a lot of reading and learning to do. I also see you all use fleece. I have seen MANY pet Guinea pigs in my life and i have never seen such huge cages or fleece before. Definitely not arguing against it. Just saying I have never seen it before and i had no idea.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts

The wall my piggys cage is on now is 48" of space at the moment. So maybe i can make something work. Otherwise i may have to throw out my dining room furniture LOL which might be fine TBH because i NEVER use it. Or i may be able to utilize my loft. Its mostly wasted space the more i look at it. 2 couches we never use and an empty wall...

My piggy at the moment is is a 28"x16" cage. Pls dont judge me. Its what the pet store told me to buy and I am very open minded to make things better for her.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts

Sorry i derailed my own thread. Lol

User Tag List