Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Building my c&c. Questions?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
So I finally got my mom to agree to get let me make a C&C cage. She was on the fence about it because of Lunatic (9 month old kitten) knows how to open my door. Well we managed to cat proof my room! So now she's all for it! So I'm either building a 3x4 or a 3x5. I have 2 female piggies but would like them to have a kitchen area and lots of room to run around cause they absolutely adore popcorning and zoomies at 3:00am lol. So any way here are my questions:

1. Which is better? A 3x4 or a 3x5?

2. How much fleece would I need for 3x4/3x5?

3. How many bags of wood pellets would I need?

4. My girls love tunnels and chews so which would be better to put toys in? Or is it the same?

5. I'm using a shower curtain as an alternative for coroaplast as neither my mom, nor I can afford it. The dimensions are 70" x72". Is this enough or would I need more?

6. Zip ties or connectors? Which is better? I use grids at my dads but don't like the space in between and miss Emeralda (aka Emmy) likes sticking her nose through for food. Would zip ties solve this problem?

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
1. Its up to you- more space is always better, but a 3x4 is huge for 2 piggies! By the way you described them, they will definitely enjoy the space!
2. Your going to need 2 yards for a 3x5 or a 3x4
3. Based on what @pigger123 said, probably 1.5-2 bags of wood pellets
4. What types of tunnels? Fleece, Cardboard or Wood?
5. If thats the size of your shower curtain, a 3x4 with sides will fit, but a 3x5 will fit barely without sides.
6. Its up to you- i have some connectors that are amazing while some are terrible.

Hopefully this helps! You can check out some of skinnypigs1 old videos on youtube, she use to have 3x4's and fives!

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
@Nicks Pigs - Thanks! The reasons I want big is because I have a cuy who is very annoyable in heat and even in a 2x5 at my dads I have to take my other pig out. I also read that more space stimulates them. Of course they'll spend most of their time outside the cage but I'd like them to have a big cage for night.

As for the tunnels, they're fleece and I only plan on keeping one in there.

Thanks so much for your answer! I think I'll start with a 3x4 since were moving and I'm supposed to be getting a bigger room (moving at the end of may!). Thanks so much!

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
@Nicks Pigs - Thanks! The reasons I want big is because I have a cuy who is very annoyable in heat and even in a 2x5 at my dads I have to take my other pig out. I also read that more space stimulates them. Of course they'll spend most of their time outside the cage but I'd like them to have a big cage for night.

As for the tunnels, they're fleece and I only plan on keeping one in there.

Thanks so much for your answer! I think I'll start with a 3x4 since were moving and I'm supposed to be getting a bigger room (moving at the end of may!). Thanks so much!

With some piggies, width is always a life saver! Hopefully your piggies will enjoy there huge new cage!

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
@Nicks Pigs - Me too! I think they know they're spoiled lol. They get mad if I don't give them Oxbow Orchard Grass. Picky pigs! Can't wait to set it up! Its so cute seeing them explore!

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I am not sure how you can use the wood pellets with a shower curtain. You may need a coroplast base with sides to contain the pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.