Thread: Best way to wick fleece without a washing machine?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Best way to wick fleece without a washing machine?

I bought some fleece from Joann's and I'm going to be making some cage liners with it, but I need to know how to wick it. I don't have a washing machine, or a place near me cheap enough ($7 for ONE wash.. ugh). Have you wicked fleece without a washing machine, if so how did you do it? Is it even possible? Thank you!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/17 Posts

Re: Best way to wick fleece without a washing machine?

$7 for ONE WASH?! How do you do your laundry? And people think NYC laundromats are expensive! Go to a friends house who has a washing machine? Parents? I'll be buying my next batch of fleece in NJ and conveniently staying at my grandparents house that weekend...

3. "Thank you, ThatGirlMarie, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Brewer View Post
    $7 for ONE WASH?! How do you do your laundry? And people think NYC laundromats are expensive! Go to a friends house who has a washing machine? Parents? I'll be buying my next batch of fleece in NJ and conveniently staying at my grandparents house that weekend...
    Yeah the pricing here is ridiculous, and we use a handheld washing machine in the bathtub. It's one of those ones that look like a plunger, but they pretty much just suck the dirt out of the clothing. Also, I live with my parents due to me being 16 haha. Along with that, I'm home-schooled and we've only recently moved here, so we have no friends yet (I know, can the situation get ANY worse?) Do you think soaking the fleece in really hot water with vinegar and dish soap in my bathtub, while using the handheld washing machine would work at all? It's the only thing I can do at this point.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/17 Posts

I'd say anything you want to try might be worth while. I live in a giant city so this seems so foreign to me. The whole being 16 thing explains not being able to just go somewhere else. I can't even visualize what you're talking about, but I'm trying! I would use vinegar + hot water + laundry detergent, not dish soap. Try the plunger thing...what's the worst that could happen? :P

6. "Thank you, ThatGirlMarie, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,560 Rec'd/6,042 Posts

Try hot water, good strong detergent (not dish soap) and bleach. Let it soak for a while, then wash and rinse it.

And FYI, you're not wicking the fleece. You're stripping the coating off of it so that it will wick. Wicking is the passage of urine through the fleece to the absorbent material underneath. It's a similar process to layered underwear in cold weather -- it wicks the moisture from your skin away from your body so you don't get cold.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Try hot water, good strong detergent (not dish soap) and bleach. Let it soak for a while, then wash and rinse it.

And FYI, you're not wicking the fleece. You're stripping the coating off of it so that it will wick. Wicking is the passage of urine through the fleece to the absorbent material underneath. It's a similar process to layered underwear in cold weather -- it wicks the moisture from your skin away from your body so you don't get cold.
    Thank you, Bpatters! I will try it! Also, I didn't know that. Thank you for the correction

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/19 Posts

Did you try and did it work?

User Tag List