Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Making Parents agree to go Vegetarian?

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi, after being on this forum for a bit, i have noticed some people are vegetarian so i googled and after reading some articles i think i am going to become a vegetarian. The problem is my family are all meat eaters. I mean every type of meat, lamb, beef, fish, ground beef, etc. I don't eat meat at all because i don't like the fat and now i really don't want to eat meat after i read about how animals are killed just so they could be a meal. I talked to my parents about this but they say my growing body needs vitamins and nutrients and i can only get those from meat, and that without meat i am not going to get enough protein, etc. They also say god made these animals so we can eat them, and that its the circle of life, and that all vegetarians are malnourished etc, etc, etc. Now how am i suppose to get them to agree? i am really disgusted at how these animals are killed, i have seen PETA videos and i threw up in my mouth almost. :sick:>:)mad:

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Also, i know this is a stupid question, is Dominos pizza vegetarian friendly? without the meat topping of course, i just want to make sure if there wasn't any hidden meat in the pizza, because i am a sucker for pizza!

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Also, i know this is a stupid question, is Dominos pizza vegetarian friendly? without the meat topping of course, i just want to make sure if there wasn't any hidden meat in the pizza, because i am a sucker for pizza!
Yes. I also just went vegetarian. Dominos is very "custom order" friendly lol

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Yay! Because i can't go without pizza!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Pizza is vegetarian, but it's not vegan (no animal products). To be a considered a vegetarian you have to give up more than just meats, but also other products that are produced from slaughter. A big one that's hard is gelatin, because it hides in many foods. You have to read labels very carefully. Most vegetarian items are marked as vegetarian. However, just giving up meats in general (not reading labels or worrying about gelatin) does make an impact, and if that is your route it's still within the cause of animal rights. It's even great for the environment. Large scale animal production is a horrible polluter.

As for your health, I became a vegetarian at 9 years old, I'm 29 years old now. I am perfectly healthy. It has not affected my brain growth negatively (I'm a PhD student at the moment) or my body (I grew to a normal height, and I was an athlete through school and I still am an athlete as an adult). I am definitely not malnourished. If I was, I couldn't do the things I do. In fact, I'm far healthier than my meat eating friends and cousins.

As for the religious aspect, well I'm an atheist, and I grew up in an agnostic leaning family. So, I did not have to worry about that when I became a vegetarian. But, I did go to a Catholic school, and one of my research areas is religion. I've also had this debate with a few religious friends. We're not supposed to really talk about religion on here, but if you want to PM me I can tell you what I tell them.

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Thanks ClemmyOddieIndy. I pledged to begin being a vegetarian starting today. My parents still don't like the idea but are still supportive.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Thanks ClemmyOddieIndy. I pledged to begin being a vegetarian starting today. My parents still don't like the idea but are still supportive.

That's good that they are being supportive. I would highly recommend meeting with your doctor and have a full blood work up done. If you are anemic or have any other health problems (i.e. diabetes) you'll need to take vitamins or carefully monitor what you're eating.

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ok, thanks again!

Geranium

Cavy Slave
I decided to become vegetarian back when I was living with my parents as well. They weren't thrilled either and now after 5+ years have finally started to loosen up to the idea! Anyway, to make them feel better about "low protein intake" (even though meat eaters already get waaaaay more protein than necessary), I had them buy me things like Morningstar soy products, Boco patties, etc.

hannahcurl

Cavy Gazer
I've been vegetarian for 5 years. I am perfectly fine. I weigh 130 pounds and am very pleased with the way i look. I love it. Maybe make a chart to tell you mom and dad all of the great things about vegetarianism [emoji7][emoji7][emoji8][emoji8]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.