Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blankets "Universal blanket" instead of Uhaul furnature pad?

MyraMidnight

Cavy Slave
I came across these blankets when browsing Bauhaus in Iceland:(broken link removed) (the link shows product from other store, but its the same thing)

Thought I could use it like those mystical Uhaul furnature pads, maybe somebody else has any experience with these specifically? They seem to need to be prepped though, since they are not super eager to soak up wetness. Think I'll buy another one already (cheaper than towels after all, way cheaper) since they might serve other purposes if they turn out to be a fail as absorbing layer.

So close to finishing the new cage, just need to prep the bedding lol Been using fleece and towels since I got my piggies nearly two years ago now? well that set of fabrics are dying anyway, needed new stuff.

MyraMidnight

Cavy Slave
I think the reinforcing fiber is the white thread they've sewn into it to strengthen the blanket rather than mixed in with the material itself, but I might be wrong. The website sales page showed more info than on the blanket itself. Im prepping them right now by washing on 95°c in the machine, see if it will drink up the water any better.

Thanks alot though for offering to forward the real Uhaul pads, but I think I'll try these out first before investing in importing the known thing (alot of taxes that get added ontop so price doubles sometimes). I'll report back on how they do :D

MyraMidnight

Cavy Slave
After prepping these blankets like the fleece, they seem to work just fine instead of towels. But I could have sworn they were the same size to begin with :V I'll have to pay more attention with the second pair then. Wanted to make my own set of fleece flippers with these :D

IMG_2430.jpg

the white thread that has been sewn into it for reinforcement seem to shrink also and pull the fabric further. That narrow one now fits perfectly into the bottom of my new cage (just a tad bit too long), while the square one was perfect size folded before the prepping. These things shrunk considerably, and I need to buy extras anyway so I have a set for swapping during cage cleaning.

MyraMidnight

Cavy Slave
Alright, they were different sizes when I got them, but grabbed them from the same stack of blankets o.o'

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
I purchased 2 of these:

https://www.menards.com/main/p-2387889-c-6533.htm

they fit my 3x2 panel c&c cage pretty good, overlaps in the middle. I put newspaper down first, then these 2 mats, then 2 layers of a fleece that I have. So far so good. Pudge does use a littler pan so 75% of the urine does go in there, which is fine by me. I have not pulled them to clean them yet. I can post how it goes. She has not yet found the mat to chew and she is not a borer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.