Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts

Question possible URI- new pig next vet appoinment [email protected]

Little chester was coughing/hacking pretty loudly but has been acted perfectly healthy otherwise but then last night his cough become very labored. I held him for a while and that seemed to calm him down. He's eating and drinking well and is still very active and durning floor time is still popcorning all over (little cutie). But this morning I woke up to more hacking and his nose is now stuffed And a BT of eye crustys too. I rang up my vet and we have an appointment tomorrow at 3. What can I do to keep him comfy until then?? I feel like I might be getting over paranoid because he's still high energy and happy and eating but URIs are very serious and I don't want to chance anything with my little guy. Not to mention he's not even a year old.

Also what should I expect for vet costs?? All of my other piggies have never needed emergency vet care. I'm very concern about the bill as well 😷😥

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts

Re: possible URI- new pig next vet appoinment [email protected]

I would recommend trying to get him into the vet today. URI's are quick killers, and they will not show many signs until they are on deaths door since they are prey animals. Prey animals hide illness until they can't any longer.

Vet costs depends on where you are at. It's $40 just to walk in the door at my vet. It's been about 6 years since I've had a URI, but the last time I went for something "small" (I consider "big" things that are going to cost me thousands like heart failure and cancer) it was like $150 a pig.

3. "Thank you, ClemmyOddieIndy, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4069 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,510 Rec'd/6,001 Posts

I'd get him there today, if I just had to walk in with him and ask them to work him in. Twenty-four hours can mean the difference between life and death with a respiratory infection.

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I'd get him there today, if I just had to walk in with him and ask them to work him in. Twenty-four hours can mean the difference between life and death with a respiratory infection.

I wasn't able to cover my shift at work so I'm away from home until tonight. I did put a humidifier next to the cage and he's eating his oranges and pellets and drinking. He's also still in really good spirits. If his nose is still stuffy when i get home tonight I will call the emergency vet and see if they do small/exotic animals. His coughs shudder his whole body and only started yesterday.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts

Exclamation diagnosed URI- path to recovery

Bad News- Chester does have an upper respiratory infection.

Good News- The vet said I caught it super early. His lungs are clear of fluid and he's been able to keep his little nose clean too.
    It was pretty awful having to wait an entire day before getting him to the vet and yesterday he was slowing down a bit and wasn't eating his pellets (he's very energetic, loves to run laps around me during floor time and pop corned when I said his name or laugh at him). He was still jumping around a bit in his cage but for the most part he just wanted to chill in his hideaway.

The weather is atrocious where I am, we have over a foot of snow from the last two days and its very cold out. I have a humidifier running near his cage and he has vitamins in his water bottle. I also put down more hay for him so he keep munching.

I'm hand feeding his antibiotics though I'm trying to give him his vitamins through his bottle if possible.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure his speedy recovery??

The 80 bucks I just dropped on his vet appointment was the money I was going to spend on his C&C cage. (His cage is still within specifications for one piggie) I think in the next few days I am going to get a fleece liner and switch out his paper bedding. he seems to be really messy and I'm hoping the fleece will be easier to clean on a day to day basis.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    540 Rec'd/455 Posts

Two quick things.

Vitamins in the water is unreliable, you have no idea how much he is actually getting, it changes the taste of the water which can put them off drinking, and vitamin C (the most important vitamin) degrades fast in light so if your water bottle is transparent he won't be getting much of it, if any at all. You could instead mix the drops with a small amount of water and then syringe it to him so you know he is getting all of it and the vitamin C is still good.

Also fleece tends to be an absolute nightmare in small cages from what I have heard, if I remember correctly it gets stinky quicker then usual so something like twice weekly full cleans are needed along with once/twice daily poop scoping. You could still attempt it but make sure the fleece is wicking before you use it.

9. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts

Your C&C shouldn't cost $80 if you build it yourself. My 3x4 was around $50 to build, and I bought one too many grid boxes.

11. "Thank you, ClemmyOddieIndy, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

If you don't have one, pick up a kitchen scale to weigh him with daily to make sure he is eating. My lil girl is also sick right now, and hasn't touched her pellets, and rarely drinks water. I've been syringe feeding her as much as I can, and using probiotics for her as well. She is on medication too.
    I have fleece in a tiny pet store cage, she is in it right now for quarantine, Its not terrible for me. I have it over two layers of towels, and spot clean twice a day. The nice thing about fleece is that you can keep an eye on bathroom habits.
    I also have my humidifier running for her too :)
    Hope your guy makes a quick recovery and is better soon.

13. "Thank you, RayneBowPig, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts

@Soecara My vet did say to put the drops in his bottle but I noticed he wasn't drinking enough so I've been syringe feeding it to him along with his morning antibiotics. He absolutely hates taking the vitamins but kind of likes his antibiotics- win some lose some i guess. I decided not to get the fleece for the smaller cage, I plan on building a C&C cage and rescuing another piggie in the near future and going full fleece in that cage

@RayneBowPig
    I'm sorry your baby is sick too! thanks for the well wishes!! Chester hasn't been eating much of his pellets but even when he seemed healthy he didn't like his food. I wised up and figured it was because they were the PetCo recommend bag food. I surfed some of the threads on here and the best pellets available near me was the cavy performance from Oxbow. I mixed in some with his old pellets and he's been chomping down ever since.

Thanks everyone for your input, it helps a lot since I'm new to owning my own pig <3

User Tag List