Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives How to baby proof a C&C cage without coroplast?

ImFawnaYou

Cavy Gazer
I have a 2x3 c&c cage (for one piggie) that's made with grids tied with zipties, and a shower curtain in place of coroplast, however it's lining the outside of the cage. I have more grids to expand to a 2x4 or even a 2x5, but I'd have to buy some larger fleece. However it seems that my little girl may be expecting pups. I'm not sure when or if she'll have them at all, but I'd like to be on the safe side. :)

I tried to find some corrugated plastic, but it's actually pretty hard to find, I even had to order the grids and have them shipped to my local Walmart. Since I can't find coroplast to line the cage, what else would work? I'm thinking cardboard but I'd love to hear if anyone has any other suggestions.

ImFawnaYou

Cavy Gazer
I only have 6 left so it wouldn't be enough. :/

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I used cardboard held in place with zip ties until I got more grids. It worked, just keep an eye out so they don't chew through.

ImFawnaYou

Cavy Gazer
Okay, I'all do that then. If it doesn't work I have a spare pet store cage that has pretty high plastic walls, but it's its hardly the size of a 1x2 and I'd hate to keep her in there.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Another idea is if you have enough spare fleece is to make kind of like a crib bumper around the worry spots along the outside of the cage. I had done that once when I ran out of coroplast with my first cage to make it so less poopies got out and it worked. As long as it covers enough grids in height I don't see why it couldn't keep pups in :)

ImFawnaYou

Cavy Gazer
Where in California are you? You can buy coroplast from this place.
(broken link removed)

Home Depot also carries coroplst. You can type in your zip code to check the availability at your store.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/COROSPL...-in-Twinwall-Plastic-Sheet-COR-3672/202771364

I live in the Shasta County area, more up North. I actually went to Lowes and Home Depot, and they both didn't have coroplast. I even asked the employees and they all have me weird looks, saying they've never heard of such things.

ImFawnaYou

Cavy Gazer
Another idea is if you have enough spare fleece is to make kind of like a crib bumper around the worry spots along the outside of the cage. I had done that once when I ran out of coroplast with my first cage to make it so less poopies got out and it worked. As long as it covers enough grids in height I don't see why it couldn't keep pups in :)

That actually sounds like a good idea since I have a lot of extra fleece. :)

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I live in the Shasta County area, more up North.

Aww, I miss CA... I was born in Yreka and grew up in Sacramento. If you really want coroplast, have you looked for sign shops? I got mine from a tiny little sign shop.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
the best and most cost effective thing ive ever seen is using one inch thick ribbon and weaving it in and out all of the grids so nothing flys out and no one gets stuck :)

ImFawnaYou

Cavy Gazer
the best and most cost effective thing ive ever seen is using one inch thick ribbon and weaving it in and out all of the grids so nothing flys out and no one gets stuck :)
:O
I was just about to post about me having done this! I tested with cardboard first but she was too interested in it, so I cut some extra fleece into strips and started to weave it through the grids. It's worked really well actually! Since it's fleece, my Mali doesn't pay any attention it and has done as much as sniff it. I plan to weave it both up & down and left & right, but right now it's just one way. I also just used some regular scotch tap to hold the ends together and it's actually holding up quite well.

(I think I managed to upload a picture but it's sideways. Just tilt your head to the left and you can see how I taped up the edges.)

Attachments

image.jpg

ImFawnaYou

Cavy Gazer
Aww, I miss CA... I was born in Yreka and grew up in Sacramento. If you really want coroplast, have you looked for sign shops? I got mine from a tiny little sign shop.

I'm actually from Anderson/Redding, so there's not much around. I thought about going to a sign shop, and actually found one that might carry coroplast, but they're open on days and hours when I'm in school so it's just difficult to find the right time. I had to go on a mission just to find grids!

lissie

Cavy Slave
I live in the Shasta County area, more up North. I actually went to Lowes and Home Depot, and they both didn't have coroplast. I even asked the employees and they all have me weird looks, saying they've never heard of such things.

Employees usually don't know what coroplast is. I always take a printout with me when I go. They can look it up by the item ID. Usually they keep it with plexiglass near doors/windows section.

ImFawnaYou

Cavy Gazer
Employees usually don't know what coroplast is. I always take a printout with me when I go. They can look it up by the item ID. Usually they keep it with plexiglass near doors/windows section.
I suppose I'll have to look harder then. My boyfriend and I actually walked around the stores twice and didn't see anything that would look like it. I'm sure I'll be able to get some at some point, but what I have is actually working quite well, it's just a bit of a pain when I have to put everything back after taking things out for a wash.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I suppose I'll have to look harder then. My boyfriend and I actually walked around the stores twice and didn't see anything that would look like it. I'm sure I'll be able to get some at some point, but what I have is actually working quite well, it's just a bit of a pain when I have to put everything back after taking things out for a wash.

I'm glad you found something that works for you.
For coroplast, you can check if your local store carries it by typing in your zip code. Some stores don't.

Are any of these stores near you? They have coroplast in stock. I typed in random Shasta County zip code.
1200 Churn Creek Rd, Redding, CA 96003
2650 Main Street, Red Bluff, CA 96080

ImFawnaYou

Cavy Gazer
I'm glad you found something that works for you.
For coroplast, you can check if your local store carries it by typing in your zip code. Some stores don't.

Are any of these stores near you? They have coroplast in stock. I typed in random Shasta County zip code.
1200 Churn Creek Rd, Redding, CA 96003
2650 Main Street, Red Bluff, CA 96080
The Redding address is close by, but it didn't lead me to any store when I checked on my map, it was just near a Barnes & Noble and a Matress store lol

lissie

Cavy Slave
Ha! Guess Home Depot database is not updated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.