Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Pet Safe Paint/ Wood

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
Hi All,

I'll soon be taking my craft skills to the test and making some wood furniture to go into my soon-to-be ikea lack cage (inspired by [MENTION=34144]saeva[/MENTION]). I have two questions:

1. For Wood, Can I Use Kiln- Dried Pine?
  2. For the paint, would this be safe: https://www.ehow.com/how_5241036_make-own-petsafe-paint.html

If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

Good Luck to all of You Who have been hit with 3+ feet of snow! (In Central Mass, we have had 4' in the past week- and yet it was 56 degrees on christmas!lol)

lissie

Cavy Slave
1) Yes, you can use kiln dried pine.
2) The paint looks safe to me. Not sure if the corn starch would make it more appealing for the pigs to try and eat them.

For the IKEA Lack table, I would not recommend to put them where your pigs can get to. The amount of glue and sawdust used in the furniture can be harmful to your pigs if they chew on the legs. It also contains foil.

There are many safe, alternative, modern looking cages in the gallery.

(broken link removed)

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
1) Yes, you can use kiln dried pine.
2) The paint looks safe to me. Not sure if the corn starch would make it more appealing for the pigs to try and eat them.

For the IKEA Lack table, I would not recommend to put them where your pigs can get to. The amount of glue and sawdust used in the furniture can be harmful to your pigs if they chew on the legs. It also contains foil.

There are many safe, alternative, modern looking cages in the gallery.

(broken link removed)

Thanks, [MENTION=11509]lissie[/MENTION] !

I noticed your comment on the legs yesterday in one of the thread and have though of a solution that could possibly work- (broken link removed)

I could place these around the legs and just replace them when needed. Let me Know, though!

Thanks!

lissie

Cavy Slave
The pine molding could work. Try to find ones that don't have primer. You can paint it with your pet safe paint.

I don't really get the idea of using these tables. Since you'll be building the cage, why not build the shelf that go over it with another piece of wood? That way you don't even have to have the legs in the cage. It would be one continuous space for running.

saeva

Cavy Slave
I think it depends on the piggies you have :) Mine are not nibbling, so they do not eat the cage^^ But if you have piggies that are chewing, then I would try to make the table-legs safer (maybe with thin wood, sisal etc.) The others are right, it is not very good if they would chew the table-legs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.