Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Angry What is wrong with people?!

I was talking to my mother today, she has a neighbor whose daughters, 7 and 8, owned a pig. Unintentionally, she let slip that the girls pig had died. I asked how. They hadn't had it long and I remembered it only being maybe 2 years old. She was trying to deflect my question but finally told me... They killed her. Apparently, the mother of the children never supervised them with the pig and they thought it'd be a good idea to toss her back and forth like a ball. She was thrown, hit the wall and broke her back and also, apparently, one of her legs was broken. My mother didn't want to tell me because she knew how much it'd upset me.

I mean... Really? How in the world does something like that happen? Why were they unsupervised while handling her? How in the bloody heck did these children think this was okay? I don't even know what I'm trying to say.... I just can't believe it...

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Re: What is wrong with people?!

In my opinion children at that age know better, at least should have known better. Maybe they are being raised by a cell phone in the hand all day mom and dad. I see that all the time, at playground and parks. You see it in malls/stores, everywhere. They are paying more attention to that damn phone over the kids. My grandson is 4 1/2, I got my piggies for him. at his house their small pets disappear and die all the time. Don't get me started there. He sits on the chain, the piggies is in a fleece throw, he has been told not to drop it, let it jump off, it could die or break a leg. He is gentle and feeds them and just snuggles with them. He has the dog to play, play with. At 4 he knows the difference because he was taught, don't blame the kids fully, 80% is the parents fault.

3. "Thank you, lunarminx, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarminx View Post
    In my opinion children at that age know better, at least should have known better. Maybe they are being raised by a cell phone in the hand all day mom and dad. I see that all the time, at playground and parks. You see it in malls/stores, everywhere. They are paying more attention to that damn phone over the kids. My grandson is 4 1/2, I got my piggies for him. at his house their small pets disappear and die all the time. Don't get me started there. He sits on the chain, the piggies is in a fleece throw, he has been told not to drop it, let it jump off, it could die or break a leg. He is gentle and feeds them and just snuggles with them. He has the dog to play, play with. At 4 he knows the difference because he was taught, don't blame the kids fully, 80% is the parents fault.
    I wasn't trying to completely blame the kids or anything. I suppose I should have worded more like "what is wrong with the mother??". I have a 2 year old I have to watch around my pigs. She just started trying to reach in the boys cage so I had to make the most gawd awful makeshift cover for the top out of some fabric until I can order more cubes. Its tied on to the grids so she can't reach in. She mostly goes after their hidies, but some have bottoms and if she got it with pig and all.. *shudders* but a little ugly in the living room is a small thing compared to their safety. Not that she is mean! When I'm holding them, she pets nicely and calls them babies.. But I don't want any accidents. Anyway, my point to that is... I noticed this right off the bat... How could that mother let this happen? I just keep sitting here, fuming, wondering where they learned that that was okay. I pray they don't end up with another animal.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Good reason to keep guinea pigs in a high traffic area of the house. We got our first guinea pigs when my kids were 3 and 7. I never had problems with them mishandling them because they knew what was allowed and what wasn't.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/118 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

I don't know. Some people. My mom has her phone in her hand a lot but it's because she's the social networker for her job. She runs their Facebook, Instagram, Google plus. When I was 5 and got my first pig I wasn't allowed to hold her unless I was sitting criss cross apple sauce on the couch, had a carrot (sometimes just in case she was fidgety) and had a blanket in my lap. It was like this till I was 7 (I'm very mature for my age). But even then I could only hold her at night when it was quiet. I've also grown up with animals and lots of discipline so.... But seriously how could she let her 2 kids play with the guinea pig unsupervised? They don't sound like they act 7 and 8. I feel bad for that poor baby.

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    Good reason to keep guinea pigs in a high traffic area of the house. We got our first guinea pigs when my kids were 3 and 7. I never had problems with them mishandling them because they knew what was allowed and what wasn't.
    My 2 year old (more specifically, almost 2) just likes to mess with their stuff, but I do worry about an accident (dropping something on them, picking something up with them in it), but while I'm holding them, she is very gentle. But I don't want to take any chances, I just got another male not long ago and in my excitement, didn't figure in enough grids for their expanded cage and I have to order them. I fashioned a cover that she can't get in to (ugly as sin though it may be, detracting from my 7 hours of hard work). My 7 year old is quite the gentle soul, but he has physical ailments, so he gets to hold them while seated, with me close by (in the case of my new boy, Spencer, that's to watch for an escape more than anything).

I suppose it just boggles my mind that something like this CAN happen. And it saddens me that some people just don't pay enough attention or instill much sense or caring into their children and a poor animal paid the price.

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joys_cavies View Post
    I don't know. Some people. My mom has her phone in her hand a lot but it's because she's the social networker for her job. She runs their Facebook, Instagram, Google plus. When I was 5 and got my first pig I wasn't allowed to hold her unless I was sitting criss cross apple sauce on the couch, had a carrot (sometimes just in case she was fidgety) and had a blanket in my lap. It was like this till I was 7 (I'm very mature for my age). But even then I could only hold her at night when it was quiet. I've also grown up with animals and lots of discipline so.... But seriously how could she let her 2 kids play with the guinea pig unsupervised? They don't sound like they act 7 and 8. I feel bad for that poor baby.

It is sad that she doesnt even seem to know what her children are up to. My kids have always been around animals of all sorts and have always been taught that they have feelings and can be hurt, just like everyone else.

This is Classified info, I'd rather not tell...
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    110 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

It is horrible, yes, but tell me, is it really that surprising?

People have no respect for living creatures. Why else would there be so many animals abused and left homeless every single day, and so many breeding mills that should be called torture chambers? The kids know better. It's the parents fault. Both of those statements are correct. When I was seven, or even six, I would've had more sense than that. I've owned and taken care of my own animals since I was eight or nine, and I have loved every second of it. I would never dream of putting an animal through anything close to that much pain. If they have to die, let it be as quickly and painlessly as possible.

The thing is, parents never pay attention to their kids, but why, even as a young child, would you even think of doing something like that? Parents either never pay attention to their kids, or don't care. There are still responsible parents out there, but I'm afraid the number is dwindling as people grow lazier and teach their kids that animals have no feelings. On the other hand, I don't understand why you would throw a guinea pig across the room like it was a ball. No matter what age you are, unless it is in the toddler years, or over the age of five, you should know better than to throw any animal, hamster, guinea pig, or dog, across the room like it was a toy.

My parents have always taught me that animals have feelings, and they should be respected. (Well, mostly my mom) But even my dad, who doesn't like animals, wouldn't even think of doing something cruel to one. He might not admit it, but I doubt he would watch an animal suffer. I take care of most of the pets in our house.

My point with this long post is to say that I am infuriated by this, but at the same time it doesn't really surprise me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

It's horrible, and I hate to say it, but I suspect the majority of guinea pigs end up with a similar fate. If they don't die from rough handling, then it's via poor care or neglect. Think of the volume of guinea pigs sold at pet stores. Now think of the number of people you know with piggies. Sadly, they're viewed as disposable starter pets and are treated as such. It breaks my heart, since they're such sweet little creatures with feelings and personalities, but they have it much worse than cats, dogs, and other "real" pets.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/118 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaconAndEggs View Post
    It is horrible, yes, but tell me, is it really that surprising?

People have no respect for living creatures. Why else would there be so many animals abused and left homeless every single day, and so many breeding mills that should be called torture chambers? The kids know better. It's the parents fault. Both of those statements are correct. When I was seven, or even six, I would've had more sense than that. I've owned and taken care of my own animals since I was eight or nine, and I have loved every second of it. I would never dream of putting an animal through anything close to that much pain. If they have to die, let it be as quickly and painlessly as possible.

The thing is, parents never pay attention to their kids, but why, even as a young child, would you even think of doing something like that? Parents either never pay attention to their kids, or don't care. There are still responsible parents out there, but I'm afraid the number is dwindling as people grow lazier and teach their kids that animals have no feelings. On the other hand, I don't understand why you would throw a guinea pig across the room like it was a ball. No matter what age you are, unless it is in the toddler years, or over the age of five, you should know better than to throw any animal, hamster, guinea pig, or dog, across the room like it was a toy.

My parents have always taught me that animals have feelings, and they should be respected. (Well, mostly my mom) But even my dad, who doesn't like animals, wouldn't even think of doing something cruel to one. He might not admit it, but I doubt he would watch an animal suffer. I take care of most of the pets in our house.

My point with this long post is to say that I am infuriated by this, but at the same time it doesn't really surprise me.
    Yeah. My friend picks up her dog by the scruff of her neck and when people ask if they can hold her, instead of getting up and walking over, she throws the dog to them. I mean come on! Some people. The world we live in... Well it's something else. And I mean she's my age! Like seriously!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa View Post
    It's horrible, and I hate to say it, but I suspect the majority of guinea pigs end up with a similar fate. If they don't die from rough handling, then it's via poor care or neglect. Think of the volume of guinea pigs sold at pet stores. Now think of the number of people you know with piggies. Sadly, they're viewed as disposable starter pets and are treated as such. It breaks my heart, since they're such sweet little creatures with feelings and personalities, but they have it much worse than cats, dogs, and other "real" pets.

I am sure they die of neglect. My grandson's mom lives with her mom and they have gone through 2 bunnies, 3 hamsters and 3 kittens that just disappear or just died. It kills me and I almost died when she stated she wanted to breed bunnies to sell.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

People are just terrible and unfortunately some parents care more about making their kids happy than the quality of life of a living being!!

i work at a Petstore and once I had a dad come in wanting to get his kids a pig, while I was talking to him he asked if we took in animals. I told him we didn't do that and he said "oh well the kids will probably get tired of them in a year or two and what was he supposed to do with them then?" Obviously I gave him a piece of my mind and a good talking to about not purchasing animals you are not going to fully commit to.

also overheard a lady speaking to her son once( he couldn't have been more than 5 yrs old) and he was begging for a hamster and she told him " no you can't have a hamster because you never take care of your guinea pig, I always have to do it for you."

i honestly don't understand most people and I usually end up denying more sales than I make And I agree those girls should have known better but should never have been unsupervised!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by plum22 View Post
    i work at a Petstore and once I had a dad come in wanting to get his kids a pig, while I was talking to him he asked if we took in animals. I told him we didn't do that and he said "oh well the kids will probably get tired of them in a year or two and what was he supposed to do with them then?" Obviously I gave him a piece of my mind and a good talking to about not purchasing animals you are not going to fully commit to.
    I sure hope he doesn't get tired of the kids in a year or two. The sad thing is, this is exactly how that sort of "living things are disposable" attitude gets passed along.

Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

This makes me so angry. Those girls knew very well they were being cruel. Cruelty has no excuse that makes it acceptable, no matter the offenders' age. Kids should always be supervised, especially when they have animals, & should be taught there are consequences for their actions. Some parents have no idea what their kids are doing, let alone where they are (like they're supposed to be in the backyard but aren't). Some don't care.
    Animal cruelty by kids is increasing, & they are well aware of what they are doing.This can & in many cases does escalate to more violent acts. Like the boy who nailed the family cat to a fence, or the kids caught in a park 'playing' football with a puppy - the 2 young boys who tortured a little boy to death (probably not the first, definitely not the last, time such a thing happened. The young age of the boys shocked England) no doubt started off hurting & killing animals.
    I'm not saying those girls will necessarily become like that, but I hope they & their parents are ashamed of themselves.

16. "Thank you, oldnewie, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldnewie View Post
    This makes me so angry. Those girls knew very well they were being cruel. Cruelty has no excuse that makes it acceptable, no matter the offenders' age. Kids should always be supervised, especially when they have animals, & should be taught there are consequences for their actions. Some parents have no idea what their kids are doing, let alone where they are (like they're supposed to be in the backyard but aren't). Some don't care.
    Animal cruelty by kids is increasing, & they are well aware of what they are doing.This can & in many cases does escalate to more violent acts. Like the boy who nailed the family cat to a fence, or the kids caught in a park 'playing' football with a puppy - the 2 young boys who tortured a little boy to death (probably not the first, definitely not the last, time such a thing happened. The young age of the boys shocked England) no doubt started off hurting & killing animals.
    I'm not saying those girls will necessarily become like that, but I hope they & their parents are ashamed of themselves.

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

Gosh, this is horrible! I mean, how awful! It makes me feel sick. How can people be so cruel? I mean seriously! How CAN they?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/118 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmadlover View Post
    Gosh, this is horrible! I mean, how awful! It makes me feel sick. How can people be so cruel? I mean seriously! How CAN they?
    I cry everything time this happens. I just want to take those pets from their homes.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

People shouldn't let their children own animals, especially guinea pigs without making sure they have the time to supervise their children. Most people just buy guinea pigs for their kids because they think it is going to be an easy carefree animal to have, well piggies are most definitely not. They take up a lot of time, devotion and care, guinea pigs take a lot of responsibility to say the least. And to anyone out there thinking of getting a guinea pig, please look into the care and devotion it takes to be an owner before you just go out and buy one for your children.

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joys_cavies View Post
    I cry everything time this happens. I just want to take those pets from their homes.
    I know what you mean. I'm tempted to go over there and tell them what's what.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Absolutely agree.

Animal cruelty by kids is increasing...
    This I don't necessarily agree with unless I can see some evidence. For example statistics show that the US has reported the lowest crime rates in recent history, yet when surveyed people think the opposite. Constant exposure to bad news leads to this sort of belief.

Regardless, this upcoming generation is seeing EVERYTHING as disposable. It's laughable to keep your smartphone for more than 2 years and I know people who replace theirs every few months. When commodities are cheap and easily replaceable this attitude definitely spills over to living beings and it creates a terrible and depressing situation.

And animal abuse/cruelty are major red flags for sociopathic personalities.

If I were in your position I'd definitely push for these girls to get evaluated but that's over-stepping boundaries. I'm sorry you have to deal with these awful people

User Tag List