Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Removable Upper Loft...??

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! I'm hoping to get some feedback from those with engineering skills!

I have a 2x3 loft that is connected to the cage. Being a very short person and even with a step-stool I'm having the hardest time reaching the back of the loft/main cage when I clean it.
Right now I have two doors that swing open so I can get to the back of the cage. It works but it's a chore to squeeze inside (I'm just small enough to fit between a 14" space lol).

Has anyone made a detachable loft? I'm concerned about the stability/having it fall since the girls get pretty rowdy wherever they go. Or perhaps a double set of doors so I can slide out the coroplast loft?
Here's some photos to illustrate what I'm talking about.

And the more I look at the detachable option the less I think it'll work unless I extend out the cage.

I also don't have the space to move the cage away from the wall. If only!!

Thanks!

PS: When I redo the cage next I'll probably get rid of the connectors and just do zip ties. In case that changes how to make doors/stability...

CurrentLoft.jpgDoubleDoors.jpgDetachLoft.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave

junior67

Cavy Slave
I just made one with a detachable loft. I had my husband make up bars to go across but I know you can buy them from the store here. I just made a 1.5x2 loft (well 1 row out of the 2 so it would fit in my 2x4 cage, put the bars 2 rows down in the cage so it was supported but the top part of the cage. the loft easily lifts out, my girls 10 and 12 can lift it out, lift the bars off and clean all under it. I haven't put the ramp in yet or the fleece, gotta get that done since we are getting our piggies this weekend. let me see if I can add a picture of mine so you can see.IMG_3406.jpgIMG_3407.jpg

jinxie

Cavy Slave
Similar to the photo above, my loft was removable cause it sat on adjustable curtain rods with L ends. Just tape the adjustable part after putting them in. For this setup you could place the rods one or two squares down. (It will be a little low but this would prevent sliding too much) and just connect the 2x3 loft with zip ties and no connectors. Include a bottom. This may or may not work with how tight it fits around our coroplast. But if the grids fit u can just set it down on the rods and lift out as necessary. Just leave slack in your zip ties until it fits right so it won't be too tight fit around ur base.

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
I'll definitely consider the patio option! Thank you!!

I'm still figuring out new bedding options (fleece flippers vs fleece & pellets) so once that's been settled I'll have the energy again to rebuild their mansion lol

junior67

Cavy Slave
I may move mine up one grid and just have it one grid down, not sure yet. I wanted to be sure it wouldn't "slide" out since I have cats (there will be a cover I just haven't made it yet). I didn't want it as low as a patio so just put it 2 grids down so there is about 10" of height under it. :) and the loft is full size also.

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
Like you I don't want a low patio since I won't be able to reach in to clean. Also the photos don't reflect my current setup. I have two coroplast boxes that are ledges. The two act as steps to the ramp to lessen the incline. The piggies have taken to "perching" on them (like cats do with shelves/high places). They can look out of the cage at us and can survey the whole bottom level of the cage. I kinda wanna keep it since they're really keen on them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.