Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Baytril for Rats

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I have a friend who's rattie came down with a URI this week after his cage mate passed away from it. The current concentration of the Baytril is 25mg/ml. I was, at first, assuming that his rat would be okay with the same dosage as rats and guinea pigs are approx the same size. But I looked it up to be sure, I'm finding that they're taking quite a lot more and have different strengths than guinea pigs. I read of a 323grm rattie getting a .6CC of 50mg/ml dosage! That's so much more than my 1k+grm Sweetie was taking!

Right now, what Baytril I have is 25mg/ml and the dosage was .17ml for twice a day. I know I don't have enough left to last him the weekend at the correct or even close to the correct dosage for his rattie. From what I've seen in the pictures, she's about the same size as my pigs(1k+grm of weight). I am considering swinging him by my exotic vet this weekend, just want him to have some Baytril to give his rattie so she doesn't have to go the 2-3 days without something....

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I personally wouldn't give him anything without being checked by a vet first.. Dosages are calculated by the needs of the individual. Its not possible for him to go before the weekend?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I personally wouldn't give him anything without being checked by a vet first.. Dosages are calculated by the needs of the individual. Its not possible for him to go before the weekend?

If it was then I would be taking him before the weekend got here. It is also Thursday today, I count Friday as the weekend, so it's already almost here.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd have your friend take him in to be examined. I agree that it's not a good idea to medicate him until you know exactly what it is and how serious it is.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
If it was then I would be taking him before the weekend got here. It is also Thursday today, I count Friday as the weekend, so it's already almost here.

Well, I'm sorry. I didn't realize your friend was incapable of going anywhere without you.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I would defiantly have him checked out immediately.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Well, I'm sorry. I didn't realize your friend was incapable of going anywhere without you.
I guess you didn't catch the meaning behind me going with him. I am paying for the vet visit.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I figured I'd update y'all on my friend's rattie.
I got her into my vet at 9am this morning. Her breathing sounded very narly. They diagnosed her with a URI and sent my friend home with Baytril/Dophmine (will have to double check my papers on the 2nd one tonight) and Mytral (again have to double check my papers). 2 weeks of treatment for his girl. Hopefully she'll bounce back from this. She sounded really awful this morning.
The following pictures are her resting after the vet and her tech were finished checking her over and discussing treatment for her. Surprisingly, she was pretty interested in her surroundings and active. She's definately sparked my interest in owning rats. Lol

Also, I wanted to ask for your opinion, we asked if a probiotic will be okay to give her while she is on the medicine and the vet said it probably wouldn't do her any good. Do you feel that it would still be best to give her probiotics to prevent tummy upset?

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1422742359650.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1422742378955.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1422742393033.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
I figured I'd update y'all on my friend's rattie.
I got her into my vet ar 9am this morning. Her breathing sounded very narly. They diagnosed her with a URI and sent my friend home with Baytril/Dophmine (will have to double check my papers on the 2nd one tonight) and Mytral (again have to double check my papers). 2 weeks of treatment for his girl. Hopefully she'll bounce back from this. She sounded really awful this morning.
The following pictures are her resting after the vet and her tech were finished checking her over and discussing treatment for her. Surprisingly, she was pretty interested in her surroundings and active. She's definately sparked my interest in owning rats. Lol

Also, I wanted to ask for your opinion, we asked if a probiotic will be okay to give her while she is in the medicine and the vet said it probably wouldn't do her any good. Do you feel that it would still be best to give her probiotics to prevent tummy upset?

I'd do what the vet told me to do. Did you take her to an exotic vet?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I'd do what the vet told me to do. Did you take her to an exotic vet?
Yes....she was taken to an exotic vet. I simply wouldn't have taken her anywhere else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.