Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Baytril for Rats

Hey guys, I have a friend who's rattie came down with a URI this week after his cage mate passed away from it. The current concentration of the Baytril is 25mg/ml. I was, at first, assuming that his rat would be okay with the same dosage as rats and guinea pigs are approx the same size. But I looked it up to be sure, I'm finding that they're taking quite a lot more and have different strengths than guinea pigs. I read of a 323grm rattie getting a .6CC of 50mg/ml dosage! That's so much more than my 1k+grm Sweetie was taking!

Right now, what Baytril I have is 25mg/ml and the dosage was .17ml for twice a day. I know I don't have enough left to last him the weekend at the correct or even close to the correct dosage for his rattie. From what I've seen in the pictures, she's about the same size as my pigs(1k+grm of weight). I am considering swinging him by my exotic vet this weekend, just want him to have some Baytril to give his rattie so she doesn't have to go the 2-3 days without something....
    Mr. Whistles - Adopted Dec 21 2008 - Passed August 2012, unknown causes
    Little Lady - Adopted August 2012
    Brave Korra - Adopted August 2012 - Passed March 2013, Post-op surgery complications to remove a bladder stone
    Sweet Pea AKA Sweetie - Adopted October 2013 - Passed September 2014, Vitamin C absorption disorder.
    Sugar - Adopted January 2014

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Re: Baytril for Rats

I personally wouldn't give him anything without being checked by a vet first.. Dosages are calculated by the needs of the individual. Its not possible for him to go before the weekend?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 4cavies View Post
    I personally wouldn't give him anything without being checked by a vet first.. Dosages are calculated by the needs of the individual. Its not possible for him to go before the weekend?
    If it was then I would be taking him before the weekend got here. It is also Thursday today, I count Friday as the weekend, so it's already almost here.
    Brave Korra - Adopted August 2012 - Passed March 2013, Post-op surgery complications to remove a bladder stone
    Sweet Pea AKA Sweetie - Adopted October 2013 - Passed September 2014, Vitamin C absorption disorder.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,489 Rec'd/1,958 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I'd have your friend take him in to be examined. I agree that it's not a good idea to medicate him until you know exactly what it is and how serious it is.

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhistles View Post
    If it was then I would be taking him before the weekend got here. It is also Thursday today, I count Friday as the weekend, so it's already almost here.
    Well, I'm sorry. I didn't realize your friend was incapable of going anywhere without you.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

I would defiantly have him checked out immediately.

Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 4cavies View Post
    Well, I'm sorry. I didn't realize your friend was incapable of going anywhere without you.
    I guess you didn't catch the meaning behind me going with him. I am paying for the vet visit.

Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

I figured I'd update y'all on my friend's rattie.
    I got her into my vet at 9am this morning. Her breathing sounded very narly. They diagnosed her with a URI and sent my friend home with Baytril/Dophmine (will have to double check my papers on the 2nd one tonight) and Mytral (again have to double check my papers). 2 weeks of treatment for his girl. Hopefully she'll bounce back from this. She sounded really awful this morning.
    The following pictures are her resting after the vet and her tech were finished checking her over and discussing treatment for her. Surprisingly, she was pretty interested in her surroundings and active. She's definately sparked my interest in owning rats. Lol

Also, I wanted to ask for your opinion, we asked if a probiotic will be okay to give her while she is on the medicine and the vet said it probably wouldn't do her any good. Do you feel that it would still be best to give her probiotics to prevent tummy upset?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422742359650.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	72161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422742378955.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	72162  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422742393033.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	72163  

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,489 Rec'd/1,958 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhistles View Post
    I figured I'd update y'all on my friend's rattie.
    I got her into my vet ar 9am this morning. Her breathing sounded very narly. They diagnosed her with a URI and sent my friend home with Baytril/Dophmine (will have to double check my papers on the 2nd one tonight) and Mytral (again have to double check my papers). 2 weeks of treatment for his girl. Hopefully she'll bounce back from this. She sounded really awful this morning.
    The following pictures are her resting after the vet and her tech were finished checking her over and discussing treatment for her. Surprisingly, she was pretty interested in her surroundings and active. She's definately sparked my interest in owning rats. Lol

Also, I wanted to ask for your opinion, we asked if a probiotic will be okay to give her while she is in the medicine and the vet said it probably wouldn't do her any good. Do you feel that it would still be best to give her probiotics to prevent tummy upset?
    I'd do what the vet told me to do. Did you take her to an exotic vet?

Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    I'd do what the vet told me to do. Did you take her to an exotic vet?
    Yes....she was taken to an exotic vet. I simply wouldn't have taken her anywhere else.

User Tag List