Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Are my veggies okay? what do you give?

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
I've always been slightly worried about my piggies veggie portion sizes. I've never measured their veg out but have read that multiple people on the forum haven't and that the real reason you should measure it out is because over feeding veggies can lead to them ditching hay for veggies... which obviously leads to teeth issues, which no one wants.
My pigs have never had that problem which is why I never really worried, but I feel like a second look at their diet couldn't be harmful.

Anyway, here's what I give to my pigs (2 boars) on a daily basis. I Follow this sites instructions and serving sizes:
https://jackiesguineapiggies.com/fruitandveg.html

therefore, some of the veggies vary (cucumber, carrots, etc.) from a day-to-day basis.

-one full leaf of romaine lettuce (every other day)
-one full leaf of red leaf lettuce (every day, two w/o romaine)
-roughly a quarter of a green bell pepper, probably less than that. (daily)
-two cherry tomatoes cut in half (one a pig, twice a week)
-two chopped up baby carrots (one a pig, every other day)
-roughly a quarter of a cucumber, sliced up with skin (every other day)
-half an apple sliced in half again (a quarter a pig, once a week, considered a treat)
-a few sprigs of cilantro (daily or every other day, depends on what was given that day)
-half of a stick of celery or more (given spread out over the week)

here and there they will get a few other things if I see we have it in the house. But that is mostly it.

It is also fairly planned, so with the "every other day" things, they are alternated. Like, carrots and cucumber are not given on the same day, etc.

I hope this makes sense. So, is this alright? Am I over/underfeeding, is there anything that needs changing. Please let me know! veggies are an iffy area for me so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jessica Fritze

Cavy Gazer
I'll be honest with you...... your doing everything compltely fine and you shouuld have no worries. Just let your piggies do the deciding on those portions (joking) but you are right at a good ball park amount.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
From the list, it looks like you may be giving a bit too much daily. I'd measure it out on a cup measurer, just to be sure. It's perfectly fine to give a bit more then a cup per pig/day, but you might want to make sure you aren't giving them two or three. However, I'd like to thank you on behalf of your pigs for giving such a variety. I bet they love that!Great job.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
@Jessica Fritze - Awesome thank you!
@Kenna18155 - Okay, but shouldn't I be giving two cups because I have two pigs? Thanks for the thanks! lol That made my day!

Last edited:

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Yep, like I said: one cup per pig per day. So, two cups per day if you have two piggies. When I said to be careful you weren't feeding two or three, I meant each--not total :)

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
oh, okay! thanks for the help! :) @Kenna18155

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
they both eat 1/4 cups of pellets a day. I know it is more supposed to be 1/8-1/4 but yeah... I might cut back a bit. Their stool seems 100% normal. I don't weigh my pigs, but I was planning on buying a scale this upcoming weekend
@spy9doc

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry to hear that! Best wishes to chester! Please keep me posted on how he is doing:love:

much love!

@spy9doc

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.