Thread: Are my veggies okay? what do you give?

Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Are my veggies okay? what do you give?

I've always been slightly worried about my piggies veggie portion sizes. I've never measured their veg out but have read that multiple people on the forum haven't and that the real reason you should measure it out is because over feeding veggies can lead to them ditching hay for veggies... which obviously leads to teeth issues, which no one wants.
    My pigs have never had that problem which is why I never really worried, but I feel like a second look at their diet couldn't be harmful.

Anyway, here's what I give to my pigs (2 boars) on a daily basis. I Follow this sites instructions and serving sizes:
    http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/fruitandveg.html

therefore, some of the veggies vary (cucumber, carrots, etc.) from a day-to-day basis.

-one full leaf of romaine lettuce (every other day)
    -one full leaf of red leaf lettuce (every day, two w/o romaine)
    -roughly a quarter of a green bell pepper, probably less than that. (daily)
    -two cherry tomatoes cut in half (one a pig, twice a week)
    -two chopped up baby carrots (one a pig, every other day)
    -roughly a quarter of a cucumber, sliced up with skin (every other day)
    -half an apple sliced in half again (a quarter a pig, once a week, considered a treat)
    -a few sprigs of cilantro (daily or every other day, depends on what was given that day)
    -half of a stick of celery or more (given spread out over the week)

here and there they will get a few other things if I see we have it in the house. But that is mostly it.

It is also fairly planned, so with the "every other day" things, they are alternated. Like, carrots and cucumber are not given on the same day, etc.

I hope this makes sense. So, is this alright? Am I over/underfeeding, is there anything that needs changing. Please let me know! veggies are an iffy area for me so any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. "Thank you, LucidCavies, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Are my veggies okay? what do you give?

I'll be honest with you...... your doing everything compltely fine and you shouuld have no worries. Just let your piggies do the deciding on those portions (joking) but you are right at a good ball park amount.

4. "Thank you, Jessica Fritze, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

From the list, it looks like you may be giving a bit too much daily. I'd measure it out on a cup measurer, just to be sure. It's perfectly fine to give a bit more then a cup per pig/day, but you might want to make sure you aren't giving them two or three. However, I'd like to thank you on behalf of your pigs for giving such a variety. I bet they love that!Great job.

Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

@Jessica Fritze - Awesome thank you!
    @Kenna18155 - Okay, but shouldn't I be giving two cups because I have two pigs? Thanks for the thanks! That made my day!
    Last edited by LucidCavies; 01-26-15 at 05:22 pm. Reason: typos, typos and more typos

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Yep, like I said: one cup per pig per day. So, two cups per day if you have two piggies. When I said to be careful you weren't feeding two or three, I meant each--not total

Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

oh, okay! thanks for the help! @Kenna18155

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,551 Rec'd/1,276 Posts
    Mentioned
    594 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1149 Post(s)

I think you are doing a fine job with their diet. It doesn't sound as though you are feeding them too much. You have to consider their entire diet as you have to add in pellets as well. Do they have 24/7 access to pellets, or just at times?

Your best indication is weight and quality of stool. If they are adults, then their weight should be fairly stable, neither gaining nor losing much. If the consistency of the stool is too wet or loose, then you may need to restrict their veggies.

Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

they both eat 1/4 cups of pellets a day. I know it is more supposed to be 1/8-1/4 but yeah... I might cut back a bit. Their stool seems 100% normal. I don't weigh my pigs, but I was planning on buying a scale this upcoming weekend
    @spy9doc

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,551 Rec'd/1,276 Posts
    Mentioned
    594 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1149 Post(s)

Just to share a personal experience. Admittedly, I've learned a difficult lesson in the past few months regarding feeding a limited amount of veggies. People have been telling me that I should limit the quantity, and yet my kids are healthy and not overweight, and since they are permitted to eat until they are full, they don't beg for food between meals. I do limit their pellets to overnight because I feel that it is too long between meals for them to not have any food.

Chester has always had a delicate digestive system, but in the past 3-4 months has been producing large, mushy stools and constantly has poop shoes. My vet finally insisted that I take him off almost all veggies and feed him Critical Care until he shows improvement. This is difficult because his sister can and will eat everything in sight without any g.i. upset. I feed him at least a 30cc tube of CC twice a day and also permit him to have a few green peppers.

This routine has been in effect for over a month now. Initially, he showed improvement, but in the past few days, he almost seems to have diarrhea. My thinking is that he isn't getting enough fiber in his diet to form normal stools. But.......what to feed him? My husband says, "you know how a baby's stool looks because they primarily have a liquid diet. It looks like Critical Care in, mushy poop out." I have a call into the Vet to get her opinion, but no one is in the office today because we had a blizzard last night and there has been a travel ban until this afternoon.

Regarding buying a scale, see this thread for my post complete with pics: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ghlight=scales

Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I am so sorry to hear that! Best wishes to chester! Please keep me posted on how he is doing

much love!

@spy9doc

User Tag List