Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Bottle raising kittens

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
I'm also kind of worried about how small they are. I can feel their spine, ribs, and hip-bones really well. And they only gained a gram since yesterday. The lady at the vets office told one of the workers at the shelter that they hadn't eaten in three days, which I didn't think was possible. I don't really have much background on them other than that they were born on Friday. They're both really strong, though, and can move themselves around without a problem. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm also kind of worried about how small they are. I can feel their spine, ribs, and hip-bones really well. And they only gained a gram since yesterday. The lady at the vets office told one of the workers at the shelter that they hadn't eaten in three days, which I didn't think was possible. I don't really have much background on them other than that they were born on Friday. They're both really strong, though, and can move themselves around without a problem. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.
My kitten Lunatic who was the runt and thrown out was and is still like that. He's really strong and fiesty tho. So your probably worrying to much. I mean he's 10 months old and he's only 2 pounds

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I've been using cotton balls to wipe them, but I just read that it's better to use a wash cloth because cat's tongues are rough. You used a wash cloth? I'll probably try that their next feeding. Maybe it will get them to poop. I'm already dreading giving them up and I've only had them a day. @lunarminx

It was hard but it was my nephew who found them and I was at home with a baby, I got to pick out the homes, that made it easier. I didn't even name them, I knew better.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Offer the milk every 2-3 hours, the smallest more if you are worried. Mom would be laying around and they would nurse as needed anyways. And yes, use a wet wash cloth, make sure its warm.

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
It's going to be really hard for me to take them back to the shelter. They have good luck adopting out dogs, but they hardly ever get cats adopted out. They already have kittens that have grown up in the shelter. I'm glad there are only 2 of them. They get 4cc's every 3 hours. They were really malnourished, so maybe it's just going to take them a bit longer to start gaining weight and getting bigger.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
It won't happen over night, give it a few days.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Do you have the means to foster them for the shelter? That would give you the chance to see if you really wanted to keep them beyond this life saving stage.

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
I'm fostering them at least until they're weaned. Then it's up to my parents how long they're willing to let me keep them. If it were up to me, I would be keeping them forever.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm fostering them at least until they're weaned. Then it's up to my parents how long they're willing to let me keep them. If it were up to me, I would be keeping them forever.
If it were up to me if keep every animal I saw on the street. In fact we were going to get one I had a connection with but our stupid landlord wouldn't because he's 10 pounds over the weight limit.

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
Update on the kitties. They have both pooped! The white one went twice last night and the gray one went after their 5:45 feeding. The white kitten gained 3 grams since yesterday and the gray one gained 8, but I think it was so much because she hadn't pooped. Thanks for all of yall's advice!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

My mom would have said yes...lol. It got to the point people drop their animals off in front of our house.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
My mom would have said yes...lol. It got to the point people drop their animals off in front of our house.
So basically you were like the farm/house/rescue in the 12 Dogs of Christmas (please tell me your seen it)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If it were up to me if keep every animal I saw on the street. In fact we were going to get one I had a connection with but our stupid landlord wouldn't because he's 10 pounds over the weight limit.

That's a shame, we have a weight limit here. No one enforces it. Not even the rental office manager or clerk, none of the maintenance people. My boo is 60lbs, there are boxers, rotties, goldens even pits, the worse are the beagles, no stop baying. We have feral cats that the office people feed and one lives next to the office and she has igloos on her patio for them, plus her house cats. Can't you fib to him?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
That's a shame, we have a weight limit here. No one enforces it. Not even the rental office manager or clerk, none of the maintenance people. My boo is 60lbs, there are boxers, rotties, goldens even pits, the worse are the beagles, no stop baying. We have feral cats that the office people feed and one lives next to the office and she has igloos on her patio for them, plus her house cats. Can't you fib to him?
There were feral cats last night lol. My cat got mad and started pawing at the door so she could go with them

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
So basically you were like the farm/house/rescue in the 12 Dogs of Christmas (please tell me your seen it)

LOL..I grew up in Baltimore city and no I never saw it. But it was always mom look at that cat outside, look at that dog. most got rehomed, they just didn't go homeless. It was normal to have 9 plus of our own cats and a dog or two. Caged didn't count.

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
I really hope they find a home early on or my parents let me keep them. My parents are pushovers when it comes to me and animals, because I'm always the one to take care of them and they know that when I move out I'll take them with me. We'll just have to see how it goes. Two little kittens randomly showed up at our house once, and my parents thought I had brought them home and acted like they had just shown up. We live out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by woods, so we think someone dropped them off on us. When people find or have to give up animals they always try to get me to take them. And I've never watched that.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
LOL..I grew up in Baltimore city and no I never saw it. But it was always mom look at that cat outside, look at that dog. most got rehomed, they just didn't go homeless. It was normal to have 9 plus of our own cats and a dog or two. Caged didn't count.
Lucky!!!! Yeah my dad is waiting for the note from my doctor saying I have social anxiety so we can go get Cody (the dog I was supposed to get) cause his breed is calm and he's on death row. I would use one of my two but they're shy around people and I need a dog that calm me down if I get to nervous...

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
They have it great here, they been caught and fixed and rabies. Fed and warm doggy homes.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Lucky!!!! Yeah my dad is waiting for the note from my doctor saying I have social anxiety so we can go get Cody (the dog I was supposed to get) cause his breed is calm and he's on death row. I would use one of my two but they're shy around people and I need a dog that calm me down if I get to nervous...

Good luck with getting him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.