Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Good post for a change

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Another $5 post. (broken link removed) Poor baby pigs!!!

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
When I adopted my guinea pigs out, I kind of just felt around with the adoption fee. When I found out Emma was pregnant I immediately planned to adopt the babies out (I adopted a pair of female pigs from the shelter, and one was pregnant), unless there was only 1. I knew I couldn't handle 4+ pigs long term.

I had a very intense adoption application. I turned many, many people down. It's crazy how many people will email you, who have obviously done absolutely no research on guinea pigs.

The baby pigs were EXPENSIVE. I planned on adopting them out for $20 each to get SOME of my money back.
(I wasn't planning for babies when I adopted the mom, the shelter didn't know much about guinea pigs and didn't put the females on pregnancy watch, even though males and females were delivered to them in a huge box together. I didn't know any of this until after I realized Emma was pregnant, though).

But my (broken link removed) priority was finding the pigs good homes.
The 3 little girls all went to one family. The family was only, originally, interested in having 2. I'm actually the one who asked if they would take on the third baby, because there were SO FEW good applications (theirs was great) and their cage is large enough for 3. They agreed! So, I of course, waived the fee for the third girl. They were doing me a favor by giving her a great home. I still get picture updates <3

I can't remember if I got an adoption fee for the little boy or not. I knew he was going to a good home with other male piggies, and his new piggy-mama drove all the way from out of state to pick him up. I /think/ I waived his fee, but I'm not sure. Either way, the $20 wouldn't have made a dent in how much this little man cost me. He suffered a spinal injury at 3 weeks old (after curious 4 year old sister hands broke the rules, went into the pigs cage, and dropped a fiddle sticks tunnel on him >.<). Those vet bills were ridiculously expensive, but so very worth it, because he is now a perfectly normal little piggy. Though, his new owner says he is very small still, so I'm wondering if his meds may have stunted his growth. Is metacam known to do that?

And then... my babies, Emma and Ella </3 I'm still so heartbroken that I had to rehome them, that wasn't my plan at all. I was planning to get a pet friendly apartment in college so that I could bring them along, but... that just, didn't work out. I posted them on guineapigzone, and a lovely lady from the town over offered to foster or adopt them. I was so thankful for her fostering offer, but I knew I couldn't let them settle into their new home for a year and two, get bonded with her, and then yank them back. So they now have a great home with her, and I get picture updates of them too :) I even got to pig-sit them once while their new mama went on vacation.

pinky

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) They have them listed as $5 each. (Breeder by the way, please flag) Sorry that they aren't following the rules...
It could be unintentional breeding. There are people who get guinea pigs and never even consider that they might breed.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@pinky Possibly, but that seems like a lot of guinea pigs to be unintentionally breeding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.