Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Possible Bladder Stones?

• Thread starter guineapigcraz27
  • Start date

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I recently spotted two red spots in the cage after spot cleaning. I believe they are blood but could also be from the red pepper they had last night.
Photo on 1-4-15 at 12.21 PM.jpgTheother is under their loft area and I can't seem to get a good picture of it. Just thought I should add that I have not heard any squealing while pooping or peeing.

ETA: Just found another spot definitely blood as they had no bell pepper this morning, now I just have to find out who did it. Any tips on how to find out?

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
Same. But I found TONS of it... Whoop Whoop for piggy problems! :D

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Same. But I found TONS of it... Whoop Whoop for piggy problems! :D
Does your guinea pig have a bladder stone?
ETA: Never mind just read the thread you started.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I ruled one of my pigs Iris out, she went pee two times and poop several time and there was no blood or squeals as for Maple my other pigs I think is peeing blood because upon putting her in the playpen I noticed a few new blood spots that I can't be certain were new or not but I think they are new.

Jencat

Cavy Slave
I was able to spot which one of my boys was peeing blood by separating them and putting toilet paper in a laundry basket with them until both of them pee'd. The blood shows up really well on TP.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Usually red bell pepper doesn't color the urine.

Sounds like Maple needs a vet visit. You'll want to make sure it's her, though. Try Jencat's method. I once took one of my cats to the vet because I found blood, only to find out that it was the other cat.

If you can afford it, get X-rays to rule out a stone.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I separated them again, but Maple won't go pee. Is it possible that it hurts her to go pee so she won't do it as often? Iris went pee more and no blood. I going to put them in my old midwest cage and separate them with a play pen and see if anyone goes pee.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It can take them a while to pee, particularly if you want them to. Just put her somewhere that you can tell if she does, and be patient.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I took Maple out and she went pee put the pee isn't bloody! And nor is Irises. Is it possible the blood I saw was from a cut one of them got or maybe it was not blood at all? I really confused at the moment.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I was just reading something about a guinea pig with a UTI that has somethings that I noticed Maple had but didn't take notice as these symptoms were not listed on guinea lynx. This persons guinea pig had a dirty bottom and stinking pee. I noticed the dirty bum the first night but just gave her a little butt bath not thinking much of it. But after reading that article I sniffed Maples pee, it had a very strong odor (of course all pee stinks but this so very noticeable).
Here is what I read https://www.happycavy.com/guinea-pig-uti/

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I recently compared Maples and Irises pee. When Maple first went pee it wasn't like the red blood in the cage but after reading more the pee does not have to be that red but can also be light pinkish. Now looking closely at Maples pee it seems to be this pinkish brownish color while Irises pee is clear and there is not pink, red or brown colors in it. I also looked her over more closely and realized that something (my guess urine) had dried around her bottom which if Im correct is a sign of a UTI along with peeing blood.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
So Maple is the one with the stuff on her genitals?

I'd call your vet and make an appointment right away. Keep the girls separated and keep monitoring the urine in the meantime. If you still aren't sure by the time of the vet appointment take both, but it does sound like Maple to me.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
So Maple is the one with the stuff on her genitals?

I'd call your vet and make an appointment right away. Keep the girls separated and keep monitoring the urine in the meantime. If you still aren't sure by the time of the vet appointment take both, but it does sound like Maple to me.
Are UTIs contagious? And yes it is Maple who has a dirty bottom.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're not very contagious. I wouldn't worry about the others getting it.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
By the way I'm certain it is Maple.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
You should definitely get her an appointment asap.

When one of my females had a bladder stone the only symptom she had was a wet bottom. There was no blood, no pain squeaks and no straining. For a few days I noticed she was wet with urine and I took her in where an Xray revealed a stone. I would have never expected a stone though, I took her in as her hair was thinning on her sides.

I hope everything goes well with Maple though, keep us updated!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.