Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Re: Blood?

VET UPDATE: Hi guys, I'm coming to you here with a very happy face! We took Guinea to the veterinarian and found out some things. Turns out, it was UTI! Since she was so old, her bottom teeth fell out and so her top tooth had nothing to trim it. It grew so large that it was actually piercing her lip, and so she had a cut type thing on it which got infected. The infection spread through her into her bladder, leading to UTI. The vet trimmed the tooth, drained the wound, and gave us some oral medicine. She told me to fill her water bottle with highly diluted cranberry juice too. All for $60. Thanks so much guys for helping!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

I see several red flags here. For one thing, guinea pigs don't lose their teeth just because they are old. I have six pigs here at the rescue all over 8 years old, and all have their teeth. Guinea pigs lose their teeth because of physical trauma (like falling on their mouth, bar biting, etc) or infection.

You'd think you would have noticed that her top teeth were so long that they caused a wound. She definitely wouldn't have been able to eat well at all, and probably lost a lot of weight. Do you weigh her? I imagine she won't be able to eat normally right now (hopefully the vet gave you pain meds, since any dental work causes pain) and you probably need to hand feed her. http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

I have never heard of an abscess causing a urinary tract infection. What antibiotic was prescribed?

The highly diluted cranberry won't help a UTI, as mentioned here in other threads. Even if you do decide to give her some, you still need to make sure she has water with nothing added.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

VET UPDATE: Hi guys, I'm coming to you here with a very happy face! We took Guinea to the veterinarian and found out some things. Turns out, it was UTI! Since she was so old, her bottom teeth fell out and so her top tooth had nothing to trim it. It grew so large that it was actually piercing her lip, and so she had a cut type thing on it which got infected. The infection spread through her into her bladder, leading to UTI. The vet trimmed the tooth, drained the wound, and gave us some oral medicine. She told me to fill her water bottle with highly diluted cranberry juice too. All for $60. Thanks so much guys for helping!

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

*Ignore please*
    Last edited by Hazel Hammy; 01-05-15 at 07:01 pm. Reason: Sorry my computer double posted... :D

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

*Ignore please* :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Exclamation Help! Guinea is in very bad condition!

Guinea isn't looking to swell. The abscess on her chin/throat is getting HUGE and hard, as if it was a tumor. She isn't moving as much and her eyes are incredibly sunken in. Guinea is skinny, and she is also refusing to eat. The bleeding has stopped, but the thing I am very concerned about is that since she has not been moving very much, her poo has gotten stuck to her foot. No biggy, right? Well, when I tried to peel it off, the skin came with it. I couldn't get a picture, but it is pretty red and I am worried it could start bleeding soon. Please help? I am shaking.

PICTURES:

Eyes sunken in. The photo didn't capture how greatly they were sunken in, though. They are not popping out at all, they are actually caving in.

Please help? She looks like she's going to pass away soon!

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Re: Help! Guinea is in very bad condition!

Did the abscess pop or did a vet lance and drain it? I have no advice to give, I just found a lump under my new baby's throat and have to take her to the vet.

Im not familiar with your story so, just wondering what the vet said or what you've done for it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

just read your other thread on this. So the abscess was from her teeth?

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I don't know how to help with the abscess which sounds like the more serious of the two issues, but as far as the poo stuck to her bum, have you tried soaking her bum in warm water rather than peeling it off? This would probably not hurt her as much.

Do you have Critical Care that you can feed her with a syringe? That would at least get food in her system. To be honest I think the best thing you can do is try to find a local animal hospital and get there as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,243 Rec'd/5,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3811 Post(s)

Is this part of some other thread about this pig's illness? If so, where is the rest of it, and I'll merge the two. Please do not post multiple threads about the same ill pig -- it' makes it way too difficult to keep up with what's gone one with it before.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Did her bottom teeth ever grow back and is the abcess from her tooth? I would have thought the vet would have dealt with that when you took her in? The sunken in eyes can typically indicate that she is dehydrated. Meaning you need to get pedialyte, Gatorade or I believe sugar water, works as well, in her asap. Plain water will not help. Something I always recommend when having rodents or animals in General is ALWAYS keep fresh pedialyte. I continuously keep an unopened jug of it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Thank you all so much! I'm sorry bpatters for the trouble of merging... I was very desperate and did not read the rules carefully enough. I am syringe feeding her vegetable baby food (Gerber baby food, no onions or citrus fruits included) and water. :)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Re: Guinea's Medical Thread

When you get dehydrated you lose sugar (and salt) if you don't have pedialyte or other drinks with eloctolytes I would give her sugar water through a syringe. Regular water does not give her back what she lost from dehydration like the others. Sugar water will also help keep her blood sugar up and her energy. Along with mashed pellets until you can get her in to the vet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,243 Rec'd/5,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3811 Post(s)

This pig needs an emergency vet. But do not, repeat do NOT, give her sugar water. Guinea pigs are not designed to process sugar. It doesn't occur in their natural habitat, and it can wreak terrible havoc on their digestive systems. That's the last thing this pig needs.

Go get some pedialyte -- it's available at any all-night grocery store or pharmacy. It will have the electrolyes she needs without the sugar.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

I was told sugar water by my vet because my guinea pig was extremely close to death. This guinea pig does not sound like it's doing good. I assumed they did not have pedialyte so simply said what my vet told me to make sure my girl stayed alive till I could get in to her in the morning. Not everyone has an emergency vet that takes guinea pigs. She does need to go to the vet though. However I always recommend pedialyte before anything like I said I always keep it handy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

I agree with bpatters in that she needs to see an emergency vet. She needs subcue fluids if her eyes are sunken in that much, and she needs them now. Syringing her fluids might help until you get her to the vet.

I wish you had responded to my earlier thread. I had my suspicions that the vet you took her to was not a very good vet. Find another one; an exotics veterinarian.

This is an emergency situation. Get her to a vet tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by foggycreekcavy View Post
    I agree with bpatters in that she needs to see an emergency vet. She needs subcue fluids if her eyes are sunken in that much, and she needs them now. Syringing her fluids might help until you get her to the vet.

I wish you had responded to my earlier thread. I had my suspicions that the vet you took her to was not a very good vet. Find another one; an exotics veterinarian.

This is an emergency situation. Get her to a vet tonight or tomorrow.
    I forgot to respond? Oops! Sorry about that. Lots have been happening lately. I haven't given her sugar water, and we don't have any electrolyte pedialyte here. It's kind of bed time as well... Anyway, I don't have an exotic vet in my area, but we do have a vet close to my house that we took her to, as well as my other pets. I have successfully convinced my parents to take me and her tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. Until then, I am syringing her baby food, mashed up pellets, water, and her UTI medicine (as much as directed and no more). She is snuggled up to a warm water bottle in the corner of her "hospital" cage right now. I had to move her back from the Midwest so I can keep a close watch on her and she can have limited movement. Thank you all for responding. :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

This is a post from my other forum:
    Sunken eyes are often a sign of dehydration. I would give her the tent test by gently pulling the skin on the back of her neck, shoulders and back. Her skin should go back down in 1 second. If instead it tents and stays up, she is dehydrated and she should not get any food. She should instead get the home hydration formula:

3/4 tbsp sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup warm water

Mix all together and take up in a 1.0ml syringe. Going through the side of her mouth, not the front, she should get the 1.0ml with 15 minutes. Ideally she'll get a total of 3 or 4.0ml of the formula over the course of an hour. Dehydration will make her act very sleepy and lethargic.

Is it alright to give her this, then? I have been instructed to use sugar in one forum... and not in the next. I'm very confused. xD

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Sunken eyes are often a sign of dehydration. I would give her the tent test by gently pulling the skin on the back of her neck, shoulders and back. Her skin should go back down in 1 second. If instead it tents and stays up, she is dehydrated and she should not get any food. She should instead get the home hydration formula:
    If I'm not mistaken, the other forum you're posting on is a hamster forum where they aren't familiar with guinea pig care. No one familiar with guinea pigs would recommend that you withhold food from her because she is dehydrated. Guinea pigs go into GI stasis very quickly without food, and that is fatal and very painful. I would not give her the sugar water solution, I'd find a way to get Pedialyte and Critical Care. Nor would I continue to seek out advice from that particular forum.

I'm also thinking that at her age and with her condition being as bad as it is, it might be the kindest thing to let her pass away peacefully before her suffering gets worse. If I remember correctly, Guinea is 7 or 8 years old. She's missing teeth, she has recurring cysts, urine scald on her feet, she's thin and dehydrated and not eating. If it were my pig, I would be considering euthanasia at that point. It's sad, but you have to consider what's best for the animal.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Are there other threads about this pig's condition?

User Tag List