Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Congested Possible URI? What symptoms should i look for?

rawrimadinno8

Cavy Slave
hey everyone,
i currently have a TERRIBLE cold and have been crazy congested and sick for the last week. i have been avoiding touching my piggies as much as possible so they do not get sick and i have thoroughly disinfected before touching any of their bowls, water bottles, or food so they would not get sick as well. this system seemed to be working well; however this morning one of my piggies woke up with a serious stuffy nose and very loud nose breathing. i am absolutely terrified that i have given her my cold and that she could potentially develop a URI. i plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow to be checked out, since everything is closed today. :/ what symptoms should i be looking for to see if she's getting worse or that she's developing a URI?

i am so terrified that i have given her my cold and that she'll die from my carelessness! :( i'm currently researching everything humanly possible to see what i can do to stop this from becoming something serious, but i'm seriously freaking out. i'm so scared of losing one of my babies. :( any advice or medical knowledge would be GREATLY appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's nothing to do but take her to the vet. You could start with a plain vitamin C supplement -- about 30 mg. or so will do.

However, just stuffiness in the nose sounds more like she's snuffled a piece of hay up her nose than a URI. They usually begin with wet and/or runny eyes/nose, and the pig just looks and acts sick.

rawrimadinno8

Cavy Slave
oh my god thank you so much for replying so quickly! i had actually not considered her snuffing up so hay so thanks for suggesting that! i am definitely going to be taking her to the vet tomorrow, so hopefully she's ok until then!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Keep a close eye on her, and if her breathing gets labored or if she seems to be going downhill, take her to an exotic vet if you can find one open. You might want to hunt one up just in case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.