Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Confused - Why Did He Bite Me?

chaisolstice

Cavy Gazer
So my pig lives in an open cage and he stands and points his nose up to see me when I walk near him. He leans over the edge and noses my nose and it's really sweet. Sometimes when he wants to be held, he'll even start crawling out onto my shoulder. Sometimes he nibbles a lot. But today he was pushing himself onto me like he wanted to be held (I wasn't holding him though; I was resting my hand on the side of his cage because he was nosing it) and then he bit my finger so hard! I had to wash all of the blood off. I don't understand why. He isn't hungry; he had food and water and timothy hay. My fingers didn't smell like any food because I hadn't been eating prior to that. Was he moody? I want him to be happy and I don't understand what could be wrong. I've had him for over a month now and he's never drawn blood before or been aggressive. He is a really happy and well-adjusted pig.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Maybe he thought you were a carrot? I have gotten bit by one of my pigs when he though that my thumb was a carrot, even tho my hand didn't smell like one

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
It sounds like he's exhibiting some odd behavior. Guinea pigs don't tend to want to be held. Even friendly guinea pigs don't tend to like being held, because it goes against every instinct they have as a prey animal. Sometimes they'll accept being held, but not want it. If he came from a pet store or breeder mites is a possibility. Another possibility is he just was tasting you to see if what was in his cage was food. That's likely what happened.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs pretty much only draw blood from pain (past pain from poor handling can also cause it) or they mistake you for food. Even if your hands don't smell like food sometimes they get overzealous and chomp anything vegetable sized. You should rule out any potential pain though. Sometimes there are guinea pigs, rare guinea pigs, who do want held and petted. I've had 2 of these odd guinea pigs but they are not the average at all. Overly friendly guinea pigs that want to cuddle near people may actually be a sign of illness. They are seeking out a warmer comfortable place to lay down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.