Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Hair Loss on back

sosilly451

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Piper, has a small amount of hair loss on his back. There no way another pig could be biting him/his fur off. Theres a tiny little strand of hair covering it, and when i lift it up I can see a pacth of his skin, with tiny bits of hair trying to grow, but they are very very small. My guinea pig is a short haired guinea pig. I do not know any health issues he may have had in the past, or how old he may be.

Thank you in advance! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where on his back? Is he scratching it at all?

If it's right above where his tail would be if he had one, it's his grease gland.

sosilly451

Cavy Slave
I haven't seen him scratching it. Here's a picture(I tried my best but he doesn't like to sit still xD): Hair Loss on back

sosilly451

Cavy Slave
You can look at my other post for the picture. And No I havent seen hoim scracthing it

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's better if you'll post all the medical information about your pig on one thread -- it makes it much easier for people to help you if they don't have to go hunting through the forum looking earlier posts that contain information pertinent to your pig.

I'd treat him with Monistat or Nystatin -- put a dab on with a q-tip and rub in in well. If, after several days, it's not looking better or has continued to enlarge, switch the cream to triple antibiotic and continue the same treatment.

sosilly451

Cavy Slave
Ok. Thank's. I'll try that. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.