Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Chewer to the MAX

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Hello all! My lovely sow, Sarabi, has taken to the bad habit of fleece chewing. And I don't mean a nibble here and a nibble there, I mean something the size of a small country is getting chewed up. She ate so much of the fleece Forrest, we had to take it completely out of the cage. We threw out the old liners because of the holes she chewed. I know it's her because I've seen her, and only her be the fleece destroyer. Any tips?

I've included her first chew up project, and I took that out right when I first noticed it, which was probably within a day or two. I'm just worried for her health, because she has consumed A LOT of fleece. She doesn't seem to have a specific fancy between polar/non-polar, color, or length of time in use. Anybody else facing the same problem?

Neither Pumpkin nor Nala chew, and Sarabi's biological daughter, Butternut, doesn't chew either. She has a 24/7 supply of hay and water. Veggies are served twice a day, along with pellets being served twice a day. No changes in environment, pets, or season when she started chewing. They have a hay rack, to prevent her from chewing fleece where her hay lands. They also usually have a cardboard box or sorts in there to chew on too, along with little (guineapigcages.com approved) wooden blocks.

Here is her first project:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419910343.465926.jpg

And the culprit herself as of 5 minutes ago:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419912036.645122.jpg

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I don't really have an answer, but I'll bump this as it doesn't have any responses.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Anyone? Mods?

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Have you tried wood shavings?

sabrinaxceleste

Cavy Slave
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread. I have no solution for you, but at least one of my three pigs has suddenly started to do the same exact thing after two and a half years. Except, they're chewing even bigger holes... in the middle of the floor. Baffling, isn't it?
Personally, using wood shavings isn't really an option for my situation. We used to, but I live with my boyfriends' folks and they complained about them getting spilled or kicked out of the cage and all over the place and into the floor vent, etc.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@LoveMyHerd I personally don't like shavings for the exact reasons [MENTION=21433]sabrinaxceleste[/MENTION] listed. They're so expensive, take forever to clean out of a 2x6, and they're often dusty too. Plus, the girls just got moved to my sewing room downstairs and I don't want my dogs eating wood shavings or it getting all over my fabrics.

Sabrina, I agree! It's a wierd! I had her for over a year then boom-she started chewing. They're in the corners, middle, by her food, water, loose fleece, fleece liners, anything. She chews on my sweatshirts and stuff too! It's like she's a teething puppy.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Have you had her teeth checked by a vet? There may be a problem with them, requiring her to chew everything incessantly.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Okay. I will set a vet appointment soon. Thank you all. I will keep you updated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.