Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Toenail has turned black, and skin of toe looks dry and crusty

pielli0250

Cavy Slave
Awhile back when trimming my little cookie's nails we cut too far on one toe and she started to bleed. (2nd toe from the right in the photo) We immediately put the septic powder on it and the bleeding stopped. The nail has turned black and we thought it would grow out. It hasn't and I'm worried it may be infected.

Also the nail right next to it has grown a spur of some sort. (toe all the way to the right in the photo) (It looks like there is a nail growing out of the side of her nail)

Please let me know your thoughts, I feel bad for not noticing sooner. She has been acting normal and it does not seem to cause her any pain - I'm just concerned after looking a little closer it doesn't look very good. foot 1.jpgfoot 2.jpg

I'm planning to take her to the vet to have it checked out as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't look like anything to worry about to me.

The signs of infection are redness, swelling, heat, odor and/or oozing pus. If she has none of those, it's likely not infected.

The second nail may be a genetic issue, or may be caused from some prior damage to that toe. If it has no signs of infection, I also wouldn't worry about it.

pielli0250

Cavy Slave
ok thanks bpatters. I'll keep an eye out for any signs of infection. I haven't seen anything like that - thank goodness!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.