Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets mom sneaking in walmart pellets

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
So my sister told me that my mom is sneaking in Walmart pellets, the Hart brand. She hid the bag from me, because she knows I don't want to fed them it. I've told her why, and she still refuses to accept the fact that those Walmart pellets are bad for them? What kind of mother forces her way into trying to feed my guinea pigs food that obviously isn't appropriate for their stomach?? Why does she even care? She told me that they're my full responsibility, but I can't take care of them properly with her interfering!

My guinea pigs have gone without the proper pellets for over 2 weeks now, because she refuses to buy the oxbow brand. I'm planning on using a petsmart gift card i got for Christmas to buy a bag today or tomorrow. I don't care if I can only afford the pellets, I just want them to finally have the minerals and nutrients they need. During those weeks without the pellets, they've been fine on the vegetables I give them, but I know it's not enough and they can't go long without those oxbow pellets.

I know if I give them a variety of vegetables, they wouldn't need the pellets, but I prefer them, because it's just easier that way instead of trying to chart everything and what not. My parents wouldn't understand anyway.

I don't know how long she's been giving them these pellets behind my back, but to sum things up, here's my number one question. Will they be fine?

pinky

Cavy Slave
So my sister told me that my mom is sneaking in Walmart pellets, the Hart brand. She hid the bag from me, because she knows I don't want to fed them it. I've told her why, and she still refuses to accept the fact that those Walmart pellets are bad for them? What kind of mother forces her way into trying to feed my guinea pigs food that obviously isn't appropriate for their stomach?? Why does she even care? She told me that they're my full responsibility, but I can't take care of them properly with her interfering!

My guinea pigs have gone without the proper pellets for over 2 weeks now, because she refuses to buy the oxbow brand. I'm planning on using a petsmart gift card i got for Christmas to buy a bag today or tomorrow. I don't care if I can only afford the pellets, I just want them to finally have the minerals and nutrients they need. During those weeks without the pellets, they've been fine on the vegetables I give them, but I know it's not enough and they can't go long without those oxbow pellets.

I know if I give them a variety of vegetables, they wouldn't need the pellets, but I prefer them, because it's just easier that way instead of trying to chart everything and what not. My parents wouldn't understand anyway.

I don't know how long she's been giving them these pellets behind my back, but to sum things up, here's my number one question. Will they be fine?

They shouldn't have any more than 1/8 cup of pellets a day so if she's feeding them additional pellets, it could be detrimental to their health.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
How many pellets depends on how old they are, and also I believe Hartz is an alfalfa based pellet. I'm sure they'll be fine, because thousands of people feed Hartz to their pigs. It's not like it's poison. It's just a poor quality pellet (like eating McDonalds every day is not going to kill you instantly but it'll have long term health effects). Also, if it is alfalfa based it's too high in calcium for adult pigs. That's a big problem with poor quality pellets, most are too high in calcium.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I can't help it, I gotta put my mom hat on for just a second. Sorta. Oxbow pellets are more expensive and it's the holidays. You said "why does she care?" And I say, cause she is apparently paying for it. This doesn't mean she's interfering. It could just be that she is scrimping because money is tight. That being said, I think she should talk to you about it if there's a problem. I know there are members who will want to jump on me about responsible owners/parents not getting things they can't afford. I know, I know. But they already have them and maybe they didn't know when they got them. At any rate

Parents do try to understand you know. Much like kids we are sometimes resistant to new things and new ideas. In response to your "what kind of mother" comment....the kind who is doing the best she can. You'd do well to try and remember that. She's doing the best she can.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I can see where OP is coming from. I don't live with my mum, but sometimes if she came over while I was out, she'd just toss hay all over the cage for no reason, because they have a huge hay holder and never run out. I know it sounds tiny and petty but it was really irritating. That being said, when I explained that I don't want hay all over the floor because it's difficult getting it out of the fleece (I had a very high pile fleece that just sucked in every bit of hay that touched it) she stopped doing it.

But I really get how irritating it is, because my mum was the exact same way with our dog when he was around. Whenever I tried to take care of him, I "wasn't doing it right", so I stopped, then she moaned I wasn't doing anything. It'll turn in to a loosing battle if you don't communicate with her properly. If I had been mature enough to just sit down and talk with my mum when our dog was still with us, life would probably have been a lot easier. So just try and talk to her properly. Don't be accusatory, don't scold her for giving the wrong pellets and get exasperated wondering "why would she feed them that crap", take a proactive approach. Tell her you appreciate the sentiment and that she's trying to help out, and that you aren't upset that she's feeding them, you're upset with what she's feeding them. Find articles and threads showing that the brand she's feeding isn't good for them, and educate her a little. Just try and be positive about it. Hope this helps :)

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
If you mom doesn’t want to buy Oxbow, try picking up odd jobs to pay for it yourself. Do you know anyone who needs a baby-sitter, pet-sitter, help around the yard?

pinky

Cavy Slave
If guinea pigs are adults, you don't want to be giving them extra calcium. Whether it's a matter of money or anything else, the fact is that too much calcium can lead to bladder stones. If mom is insisting that the guinea pigs be fed the pellets she has, she still shouldn't sneak them in. I'd limit the pellets to about a tablespoon a day if the guinea pigs are adults being fed an alfalfa based pellet and offer extra vitamin c and a variety of vegetables and the unlimited hay to make sure they have a well balanced diet.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Just wanted to make a quick point. You mentioned that they shouldn't need pellets if you feed them lots of veggies anyway. It's actually hay that would be true of, although they do need the vitamins from veggies too. But technically you could completely cut out of the pellet part if you feed unlimited quantities of a good quality, appropriate hay like timothy (NOT alfalfa for adults).

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Just explain to your mom that feeding those pellets will not kill them now, its the long term health problems it causes. Equate it to eating fast food for one meal every day of your life. If you do that because of busy parents, you will have a hard time getting her to understand, so then it is time to buy the food yourself.

Sparklederp

Cavy Slave
I can't help it, I gotta put my mom hat on for just a second. Sorta. Oxbow pellets are more expensive and it's the holidays. You said "why does she care?" And I say, cause she is apparently paying for it. This doesn't mean she's interfering. It could just be that she is scrimping because money is tight. That being said, I think she should talk to you about it if there's a problem. I know there are members who will want to jump on me about responsible owners/parents not getting things they can't afford. I know, I know. But they already have them and maybe they didn't know when they got them. At any rate

Parents do try to understand you know. Much like kids we are sometimes resistant to new things and new ideas. In response to your "what kind of mother" comment....the kind who is doing the best she can. You'd do well to try and remember that. She's doing the best she can.

I agree with this. If you're under 18 and your mom is paying for your guinea pig's care, you're not calling the shots, she is.

I went through the same thing as a kid. I had guinea pigs (and other pets) and they got sub-par care because my parents were the ones buying food and bedding -- and honestly, I should not have had those pets without a means to provide for them myself.

When I turned 16 and got a job, then I was finally able to call my own shots, but not before. Your mom is doing her best, and it's her money she's spending, so if she wants to buy Hartz then that's what it's going to be.

Cress

Cavy Slave
They will be fine I think. How about you offer to buy the pellets? Or maybe have a sit down with her and voice your concerns. You could even show her this thread. I agree with @barbaramudge.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.