Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting When adopting, who's age estimation should you follow?

1stTimePiggyMom

Cavy Slave
I adopted two males in April. The lady at the rescue & their foster mom estimated that they were a year and a half to two years old. When I took them for a check up yesterday the vet said that they were a year old at most after examining them completely. I know this is something that comes with adopting but who's estimate do you think is better to follow?

P.S. They both are healthy and happy boys:D. I wanted to take them for a check up after finally finding a vet with guinea pig experience locally.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Once they reach adulthood, it's nearly impossible to figure out how old they are until you're able to tell that they're seniors. When they get to be around 6 years of age, occasionally you'll notice a difference in the skin around their eyes. It'll sag a bit. You might see thickening of the joints and their toes will often begin to point outwards. I've found that the color of their fur started to change around that age; often graying, darkening or fading of the color. I have an almost white male that has a lot of creams and tans in his fur now. The color of my oranges ones faded to more tans and browns. They sleep more.... I have a year old female that could pass for an older guinea pig. She's a big girl so if I didn't know her age, I'd guess she was about 3 or 4.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.