Thread: When adopting, who's age estimation should you follow?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When adopting, who's age estimation should you follow?

I adopted two males in April. The lady at the rescue & their foster mom estimated that they were a year and a half to two years old. When I took them for a check up yesterday the vet said that they were a year old at most after examining them completely. I know this is something that comes with adopting but who's estimate do you think is better to follow?

P.S. They both are healthy and happy boys. I wanted to take them for a check up after finally finding a vet with guinea pig experience locally.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    860 Rec'd/693 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

Re: When adopting, who's age estimation should you follow?

It's tough to determine a guinea pig's age after they're out of babyhood. I'd follow the rescue's estimate since they have known the pigs the longest, but if they got them in as adults I don't know how accurate they would be either.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,473 Rec'd/1,209 Posts
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1090 Post(s)

I would go by the Vet's estimate unless someone knows precisely when a cavy is born. An experienced exotic Vet can fairly accurately estimate the age by the bone size and density. To my knowledge, it becomes more difficult when they are fully mature adults.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,489 Rec'd/1,958 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Once they reach adulthood, it's nearly impossible to figure out how old they are until you're able to tell that they're seniors. When they get to be around 6 years of age, occasionally you'll notice a difference in the skin around their eyes. It'll sag a bit. You might see thickening of the joints and their toes will often begin to point outwards. I've found that the color of their fur started to change around that age; often graying, darkening or fading of the color. I have an almost white male that has a lot of creams and tans in his fur now. The color of my oranges ones faded to more tans and browns. They sleep more.... I have a year old female that could pass for an older guinea pig. She's a big girl so if I didn't know her age, I'd guess she was about 3 or 4.

User Tag List