Thread: Introduction problems.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Introduction problems.

The quarantine period was over today for Mufasa and he's good as gold! So I thought it would be a good idea for him and Simba to meet. Since Simba has been alone due to aggression with people and I assumed other guinea pigs. But I know they are social and should have a friend and a few people here said he should be okay.

So I took them out in a neutral area and they seem each other and Mufasa was fine. Then Simba puffed up so I was watching close. I didn't seperate them yet. I knew they will probably have to go through the dominance thing. But I also know this isn't a good sign. And then like 20 seconds Simba went after Mufasa. Luckily, he didn't get him and I seperated them. Mufasa was quite scared.

So now I don't know what to do. I don't want Mufasa to be alone either. He's not even a more dominate guinea pig! I don't plan on getting rid of them like others might do. But I'm clueless. Simba was finally eating veggies from me. I've been working with him for months! So I'm not sure what I can do? It's overwhelming. I want them both to be happy and stuff. Do I try doing the introductions again? Or what? :/

They are both males. Not neutered. I don't feel comfortable getting them neutered because surgery is hard on humans I can imagine a small little animal. One is a few months old. One is over a year. About a year and a half.

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Re: Introduction problems.

Oh no, were they rolling around in a ball fighting? Unless they draw blood or turn into the rolling ball of fighting piggies you need to let them work it out. Neutering doesn't change a piggie's behavior so no need to consider that as a fix.

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Unless blood is drawn things should be fine or rather check how the pig tries to attack the other if it's just posturing don't interfere. If he's clearly going all out for him that could be problematic. I assume you tried the tips on this website?

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh gosh it looked scary! Simba had nipped at Mufasa. Mufasa has a lot of hair so he just got the hair. That was when he charged at him. So I got scared .

Fay - No I had made another post on here and some people gave me some tips

So I should let them meet again? And not do anything unless blood is drawn? Oh gosh this sounds scary. I don't want my babies getting hurt. Lol.

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Try the bathing trick and see if it helps. Also distracting them with their favourite veggies afterwards might help as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So tonight I redid the introductions. There was some arguing at first. I just let them go. No blood or any fighting like that. They did that for a good two hours. I usually let them free roam in the play room but I've been doing this in the hall. Neutral area. Well, in the last half hour things started escalating. And surprisingly, it was Mufasa all mad. Mufasa went after Simba and nipped and there was a little bit of blood it wasn't bad I separated them quick. So, my boyfriend had an idea. We put a divider up so they can see each other, talk, possibly play. In the house. Not free roam time. So we did that and they seemed to be fine. We waited and let them calm down and such. And then we tried to just let them see each other again and yeah they wanted to fight right away. So I'm just keeping them divided. They were completely separated before so they could only hear each other. Is this a good ideA? They seem to do good like this. A bit dominance behavior. But nothing aggressive until they are actually together. I have no idea why. I've never heard of this happening. They seem to be okay with the company of each other as long as the other one isn't super close. I had cleaned the house too before anything . I even had the veggies out and they liked them but would get aggressive if the other one got to close to them while they were eating.

On the plus side! Simba sat in my grandmas lap during lap time and was all cuddly. Which he's pretty aggressive towards people but he's really settled down since I've got Mufasa. Mufasa has always been a sweetheart to people. But they can't seem to be okay living or being to close to each other! I'm thinking maybe they are both to dominant and neither of them wants to back down. But I don't know. I've only had Simba since the summer. He's made great progress. This is just the next step .

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Try the bathing trick, if that doesn't work I'm not sure anything will. Someone else might have some tips.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay thank you. I'll try that Sunday. I'll give them tomorrow to just relax . Maybe they just won't get along living together and can continue doing the whole neighbor thing .

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I've owned about 35 guinea pigs in my lifetime since I was a kid. I've also fostered many and have done quite a few adoptions so I've seen a lot of guinea pigs. I'm in my 50's now. I've had two that were extremely aggressive and have one now. She's extremely sweet to us and very smart but I know she could easily kill another guinea pig. I've tried everything in the book with her but she goes for blood. There's little sniffing, strutting, etc. It's call charging with teeth bared and immediately rolling in a ball. She has her own cage near the others and she seems happy with that. They run laps, she runs laps. She wheeks, they wheek. I'd say my aggressive pigs have been some of the smartest pigs I've had and I've always wondered if that has something to do with it. They seem to prefer humans to guinea pigs. I also noticed that they had nibbled ears when I got them so it could have been some sort of traumatic early experience in their lives that made them wary of other guinea pigs. You can wait a few weeks when things calm down and try again. As long as you're there to intervene, it doesn't hurt to give it another shot.

10. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh wow pinky! That's interesting about the smartness.

I rescued them both. I know Simba had an awful past. Mufasa isn't even a year old yet. Simba is about a year and a half.

They seem fine right now with the divider. Maybe this is how it's going to be for their lives haha!

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Mufasa is going through puberty, I think some have had better luck with intros once neither piggie is going through puberty. The divider is a good solution until you try intros again. Also, someone on another forum suggested swapping a few items (hideys, etc) between their cages every few days so they can get used to each others scent.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh I didn't even think about the puberty! I'll try again in a few months or something and keep it like this for now.

User Tag List