Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hoarder in WI

SantaCruzPigs

Cavy Slave
I'd looove to adopt some but I already tried and they won't mail them. I'd normally never mail a pet, just thought this was a special circumstance. If anyone is traveling between there and CA let me know... I'll chip in $$$ so that we can give some of those pigs good homes! (I live in the bay area and can't travel much further than central CA)

Allysse

Cavy Slave
SantaCruzPigs- I told you that there are PLENTY of guinea pigs in your own area. They need you just as badly. If you're willing to adopt another then please do so- in your area!!!

SantaCruzPigs

Cavy Slave
Allysse said:
SantaCruzPigs- I told you that there are PLENTY of guinea pigs in your own area. They need you just as badly. If you're willing to adopt another then please do so- in your area!!!

I apologize but I'd have to disagree. For the past couple weeks I have looked at available guinea pigs on petfinder, cavyspirit, cavycages, cavyrescue, local shelters, local newspaper ads, craigslist, and even petstores. Maybe I am picky - I don't want to breed so I'm really only looking for sows, I've been advised to try to adopt younger cavies (2 and under), and (so sorry) but I'd like my piggies to be somewhat cute! I look through all of these listings at least 5 times a day! The local shelter only has 2 boars. Petfinder lists the 2 boars, a couple sows at a San Jose Shelter that I can't get a hold of, and the cavies at cavyspirit (which I will come back to). Cavycages doesn't have guinea pigs up for adoption anywhere near central CA. Cavyrescues lists a few but, even though I emailed all of the listings, none have replied. There are no piggies for adoption in any of the local papers. I have seen many great cavies on craigslist (at least 20) but even though some of them I've replied to within hours - they have ALL already been spoken for. I have seen a few in petstores but, after reading everything on this site, have tried to avoid adopting from the petstores. As for cavyspirit, I saw a lot that I liked and tried to inquire but never received a reply. I applied for adoption online this evening and got a response just after. I am now very excited because I think I will be able to adopt to young sows from cavyspirit. Anyway, my point is, I have been looking A LOT and don't consider myself really that picky and have found it much more difficult than I expected. So in response, I do personally feel that the 114 piggies in WI are much more needy than those in CA. Hope I'm not offending anyone!

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
No, I dont think your offending anyone (not me anyway). You have to do what makes you happy, and at least your adopting a pig, no matter where it comes from state wise. Adopting is adopting! :0)

Mummy

Cavy Slave
I do personally feel that the 114 piggies in WI are much more needy than those in CA.

I don't think you realize that piggies are euthanized in shelters here in California all the time. You just don't hear about it. This is why some of us take them from shelters and look after them until we can place them! And, if they're 'not cute,' then they have a home with us for as long as necessary.

SantaCruzPigs

Cavy Slave
Mummy said:
I do personally feel that the 114 piggies in WI are much more needy than those in CA.

I don't think you realize that piggies are euthanized in shelters here in California all the time. You just don't hear about it. This is why some of us take them from shelters and look after them until we can place them! And, if they're 'not cute,' then they have a home with us for as long as necessary.

On the contrary, I definitely realize that. In fact just today I went into the Santa Cruz shelter hoping to adopt the two boars. All I could think about while I was there was that most of the animals at that shelter, and the other billion shelters in CA alone, were going to be euthanized. I've told most of my friends and family that I'd love to adopt 20+ pigs BUT that isn't possible. Its not that I don't realize that they're being euthanized, it's that I have an 8x8 foot bedroom and just don't have the resources to adopt a large amount of piggies. Trust me, I've been going this over and over in my head - trying to figure out how I could operate a "private" rescue from home. Unfortunately, because of the small apartment and amount of traveling I do, it wouldn't work out too well. I think it's awesome that people like you take so many piggies! I really wish I could too! My roommate actually made fun of me today because when I walked out of the "small animals" section of the shelter, I had to walk through 2 long rows of adoptable dogs... my eyes completely teared up and I had to wear sunglasses inside the shelter so that everyone wouldn't see my crying! Anyway, I feel bad enough about desiring "the cute ones," and I apologize but I don't feel as though there is much I can do as of right now.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to say that I hope we keep this thread open for anyone in the WI area and who is looking for piggies to adopt. I understand SantaCruzPigs that you'd like to adopt from there but it is not reasonable. I hope you find the ones you want in CA. But just to reiterate, if anyone can help out, adopt or send donations, I'm sure Rachel would be appreciative. Thanks!

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
And for MN people too! We've exported from Wi before. :)

For whatever reason, there are very few guinea pigs available for adoption in Northern MN. So if someone from northern MN reads this and is inerested in adopting a guinea pig, let me know. I'll be heading down to Rachel's in a few weeks. I can also arrange transportation to much of central MN.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Good idea. I'm hoping once everyone around her comes and adopts a piggie or two and she'll probably end up with more that maybe we can do a train to come down south. I'm only six hours away. ;) But I can't do anything until the first of the year, so I'm thinking it may work out. I may just have to go visit relatives near Chicago but then I may have to stop at the Critter Corral and get a few. Ha!Ha! Won't hubby love that?

JennG

Cavy Slave
Ok I'm bumping this thread up. Just remember if your in the area of Baraboo, WI and would like to adopt a piggie or two or ten, she has plenty and will for awhile. One of the mamas popped out six babies. *whew*
If you are interested, please fill out the application form. You can find it at https://www.guinealynx.info/application.php.

serena

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your interest everyone. I have been a volunteer for the Baraboo rescue for a while now and a friend to Rachel. I have been helping and getting involved in this mess since the second week they were rescued. It has been alot of work for Rachel and has cost alot of money. In fact, I have had nightmares about this on and off for a while now. Rachel is doing and awesome job but needs help.

Anything you can do would be appreciated. Spread the word about these pigs. Tell your vet and anyone else you know who might be interested. Many have found wonderful homes (2 at my house!) but many are still waiting there patiently for their forever home.

These are great pigs. Very sweet. Alot of them, including mine, are corner poopers which makes for easy litter training if need be.

But I just wanted to post to say thanks for your concern for these pigs. They need help with donations and definately need help with getting approved adopters.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I'm looking into three of them now.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
I had been following this story before my computer crashed. This is one of the reasons that we took our new little guy in, since every shelter around is swamped right now. I am from central Minnesota as well... and while there are 2 rescues within about an hour of me, there aren't always piggies available here either.

I could help with a piggie train as well, if anyone needs assistance. And if you want help A4PigHome... we day-trip up to Duluth whenever we get the chance, so we could bring them up to you!

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
Hi, Homeschool mama! Nice to see another Minnesotan on board. There seems to be so very few of us on this forum. So what rescue did you find your boy at? I've noticed there are very few piggies at shelters in central MN, usually just at the tricounty shelter in St Cloud, which happens to be empty of piggies again.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Hi A4 :) No, I haven't seen very many Minnesotans here either.

We adopted Junior from the St. Cloud Humane Society about a year ago. His original name was "Mickey." Other than that, there's Paula's Pigdom in Roseville (runs a wmall rescue through petfinder) and Jack Pine Guinea Pig Rescue up in Isanti. So there are piggies here, but not that many.

Our "new guy" is a long story... he hadn't made it to a shelter yet, we rescued (?) him straight from his owner. She'd been trying to find someone to take him before she sent him to shelters, afraid that he'd be euthanized.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
The St Cloud Humane Society (also the Tricounty one) is the only one that I ever see guinea pigs at...excluding the Twin Cities and suburb rescues. They seem to have a good turnover, although one guinea pig, Kitty, was there several months but is apparently adopted out now...hopefully. Good for you for adopting from there and from that other lady. Do you just have 2 boys?

Everyone...Sad news relating to the hoarder's guinea pigs. Two of the sows gave birth yesterday at their foster home. One sow did fine, but the other one couldn't get one of the babies out. She had to be euthanized and only one of her babies made it. The other sow took the orphan baby in. You can read more about it on the GL forum link.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
They just put up some of the new babies up and they are so cute.

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
Ooh homeschoolmama, another Minnesotan! I live down in the southern part of the state, near Rochester. The Baraboo rescue knows I'm available for transport down in this area.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Well, we have four more babies born today. I couldn't even tell you how many that makes. If anyones near there and wanting to adopt, please give them a shout. Thanks.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
I just filled out my application. I pray that everything goes well. I hope to start a piggy train and have my new baby boy by Christmas. Yeah!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.