Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Abnormally large, moist, and weirdly shaped poops

While spot cleaning today, I noticed several poops that were abnormally long and fat, as well as being very shiny and moist looking. There were also a lot of smaller but oddly shaped ones. Then there were some regular ones, which are the size and shape that Rhoo produces. Therefore, I assume that the unusual ones were Pumpkin's. Some were more than twice as long as they normally are. Today, she's eaten unlimited bluegrass and timothy hay, 1/8 cup of KMS pellets, a few leaves of red leaf lettuce, 1/8 of a green bell pepper, a baby carrot, and 2 fresh cranberries. That's her normal diet except for the cranberries.

Here's a picture of one of Pumpkin's compared to Rhoo's normal poop. Some of them were even larger than this one, and very slimy:

And some of the weirdly shaped ones:

Should I be concerned?

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Abnormally large, moist, and weirdly shaped poops

I found a fresh sample, definitely from Pumpkin. The one on the lower left is a normal one of Rhoo's.

These ones are extra large, greenish, slimy, and very mushy. I also noticed that Pumpkin had poop smushed all over her little feet. She seems maybe a bit lethargic, but I might just be seeing that because I'm already thinking that she might be sick. Right now she's sitting in a cuddle cup grooming herself. She weighs about the same as she did last week, but I weighed her after dinner today so it might be off.
    Last edited by pigger123; 12-21-14 at 05:40 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Re: Abnormally large, moist, and weirdly shaped poops

I'd take her off veggie s for a couple of days and see if things go back to normal. If so, add veggies back one at a time, with a couple of days between each new one, so you can see if one of them is the culprit. If not, you might want to see a vet.

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

I'll try that, but I don't why it would be from these veggies. She gets the same amount of the same veggies every day and she's normally fine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

It's not necessarily from the veggies. But usually the first thing you do when there's a possible digestive upset is to take them off all veggies. You can't very well take them off hay! Taking them off for a couple of days gives their innards a chance to calm down, and then you add them back one by one to make sure that none of them is aggravating the problem.

7. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

@pigger123 Penny had that same thing going on a few weeks ago, oddly enough cranberries were the culprit.

9. "Thank you, Rywen, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rywen View Post
    @pigger123 Penny had that same thing going on a few weeks ago, oddly enough cranberries were the culprit.
    That's very interesting! I actually noticed this in the morning, before she had any cranberries.

She was definitely not thrilled about the lack of salad this morning, but her poops look better already.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

It happens to one of mine and its usually after having some strawberries but my others thiers dosent change .

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner janinehunt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Hi @pigger123! How did this turn out for Pumpkin? Did you find a veggie culprit? My Bubbles has a similar thing going on occasionally.

I hope she is all better now!

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by janinehunt View Post
    Hi @pigger123! How did this turn out for Pumpkin? Did you find a veggie culprit? My Bubbles has a similar thing going on occasionally.

I hope she is all better now!
    She's back to normal again, I think it may have been the cranberries. I thought it had happened before she got any, but maybe I was wrong. What I don't understand is that I have given her cranberries before and not noticed an issue. I'm not really sure what happened, but she's been fine ever since that one day.

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

I'm glad she's okay now!

15. "Thank you, Rywen, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1179 Post(s)

I have had the same thing happening with Chester for 3-4 months now. The only problem is that he has also been losing weight which concerned me a lot. He has earned three trips to the vet in four months.....more than in any time period in the past.

His stool is abnormally large and wet, and I'm constantly having to clean his "poop shoes". His "sister" has exactly the same diet without incident. It's difficult to feed them separately with a busy life, but we finally agreed that something different had to be done. Feeding is a challenge when you have one who loses weight easily and the other has a big appetite and tends to gain weight quickly.

The most recent vet visit was a couple of weeks ago (superb exotic vet) and she recommended taking Chester off just about all veggies (peppers to be the exception) until there is a change in him. And, she said that this change could take up to a month. He otherwise is the picture of health.

I've been permitting them to have pellets more often and Chester is fed Critical Care twice a day. Maya isn't happy that her once plentiful veggies have been cut down to very little, but she is adjusting pretty well as we've reduced them gradually. I'm noticing that Chester rarely eats hay (unlike Maya) and have been concerned about this molars. Vet says so far they look absolutely normal. I've been putting hay at the opening of Chester's "man cave" and note that he seems to munch on it.

Chester is a sensitive little man and has always had a delicate digestive system. He eats only when hungry and never overeats. Veggies have now become more of a treat than a staple of their diet. Feeding a bare minimum of veggies is definitely far less expensive for us!

Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

@pigger123, that's great that Pumpkin is all better now. I notice this off and on with Bubbles, but her poops tend to be smaller, pinched and pointy looking. She had a piece of beet yesterday, maybe it was that.

@spy9doc, time for my usual suggestion! Have you tried Chester on fresh grass since he doesn't eat much hay? He'd probably love it, and as I'm sure you know, you just need to start him off gently on it. My girls eat loads of the stuff. I've just been outside clipping a carrier bag of it in the rain! But I'm in rainy Brittany and you're in Connecticut, so your grass may be under several inches (feet?!) of snow. Do you give him vitamin C as well? I'm going to start that, as well as probiotics.

I noticed in another thread that you were giving him oats occasionally. I guess that has made no difference to the weight loss? I hope he makes a swift recovery!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1179 Post(s)

Have you tried Chester on fresh grass since he doesn't eat much hay? He'd probably love it, and as I'm sure you know, you just need to start him off gently on it.
    My apologies for not responding to your suggestion previously. Chester and Maya frequently have fresh grass in the warmer months, but I don't think that would be advisable given the current situation. Fresh grass tends to give them both wet poops......and that's the last thing we need right now. The Vet advised absolutely NO greens until things markedly improve.

We've really had almost no snow to date, so I can still see green grass out my window. No to supplemental Vit. C as both the vet and I aren't big fans of most of the available forms, and it's difficult to know exactly how much a cavy is actually ingesting. Chester's one remaining food pleasure is green pepper, so I don't want to deprive him of it unless absolutely necessary.

I have to be cautious about Maya's food intake because of her easy weight gain, so although I do feed oats, it's not daily.

Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    My apologies for not responding to your suggestion previously.
    Hi @spy9doc, I don't think I suggested grass to you before, but I have to loads of people. It's my piggy panacea! I was thinking of keeping his teeth worn down since he's not eating much hay.

I find it makes a big difference how the hay is served too. When I had it in a hay rack they hardly ate any. But when I put it in a kitten litter tray they went mad for it, and would climb right in and snuggle down for a snack/poop/snooze. Tonight I'm going to stuff some in a paper bag and put that in for them to enjoy.

Since you are giving him critical care, have you considered adding a wee pinch of psyllium husks to it? In humans it treats both constipation and diarrhea, regulating the digestive transit as required, as well as improving the condition and the function of the intestinal mucosa and absorption of nutrients. Recently I was looking after a friend's pig who had a diarrhea following antibiotics. A wee bit of psyllium husks added to the poop stew I was syringing her stopped the diarrhea within a few hours. One needs to make sure that plenty of water is ingested with it, as psyllium husks absorb a lot of water in the digestive tract. Anyhow, just a suggestion - hope you don't mind.

Wow, no snow there! That's unusual, no?

Good luck with your kids!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1179 Post(s)

Since you are giving him critical care, have you considered adding a wee pinch of psyllium husks to it? In humans it treats both constipation and diarrhea, regulating the digestive transit as required, as well as improving the condition and the function of the intestinal mucosa and absorption of nutrients. Anyhow, just a suggestion - hope you don't mind.
    I never mind intelligent suggestions, and in fact, am open to learning something new and useful. I had him on BeneBac for a month or two and it made absolutely no difference in the quality/quantity of his stool. Regarding the psyllium husks, I would have to be extra cautious since Chester doesn't drink much water except when he eats pellets. It's certainly worth considering. Right now I'm trying to avoid too many added variables until we can isolate the probable cause of the issue.

It's interesting that the vet put him on a 10-day course of metronidazole which increases g.i. motility. Her reasoning is that if perhaps his stomach was empty, he would realize he was hungry and be ready to eat. Oh, yes, it worked with the motility. Poor little fellow was almost incontinent for the last week of the treatment. Both he and I were happy it was over!

Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

I never mind intelligent suggestions, and in fact, am open to learning something new and useful. I had him on BeneBac for a month or two and it made absolutely no difference in the quality/quantity of his stool. Regarding the psyllium husks, I would have to be extra cautious since Chester doesn't drink much water except when he eats pellets. It's certainly worth considering. Right now I'm trying to avoid too many added variables until we can isolate the probable cause of the issue.

It's interesting that the vet put him on a 10-day course of metronidazole which increases g.i. motility. Her reasoning is that if perhaps his stomach was empty, he would realize he was hungry and be ready to eat. Oh, yes, it worked with the motility. Poor little fellow was almost incontinent for the last week of the treatment. Both he and I were happy it was over!
    Poor little guy! Yes, when my friend's pig had the diarrhea it was quite disturbing for both of us.

If you do decide to try the psyllium husks, you could soak some in water for 20 minutes to get them well hydrated, then add a very little to his critical care, to be on the safe side. For human usage it is recommended to start small and increase the dosage over the course of a week to accustom the body to all that fibre. I completely understand keeping it simple though, to get to the source of the problem. Bon courage Chester!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1179 Post(s)

Bon courage Chester!
    Chester thanks you for the tips and the good wishes!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1179 Post(s)

Just wanted to add a postscript to our conversation. Guess I outsmarted myself. I went shopping for psyllium husks yesterday, and while browsing through the products, it occurred to me that the psyllium husk powder would be very easy to measure and mix with the Critical Care. Only problem with that is that the psyllium powder begins to expand immediately and puts the CC on hyper-expand before Chester ingests it.

Will do a rewind tomorrow and return to the store for psyllium husks. We'll get this right yet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Just wanted to add a postscript to our conversation. Guess I outsmarted myself. I went shopping for psyllium husks yesterday, and while browsing through the products, it occurred to me that the psyllium husk powder would be very easy to measure and mix with the Critical Care. Only problem with that is that the psyllium powder begins to expand immediately and puts the CC on hyper-expand before Chester ingests it.
    I've never seen the powder over here, but the husks expand too and turn into a thick gel when you add water. Why don't you keep the powder, and just prepare your critical care plus psyllium (wee pinch) mix 15 or so minutes in advance to let hydrate, and then you can adjust the consistency before you give it to Chester by adding a little more water or critical care if it needs it? I think it is a good thing to expand it in advance, and it will still continue to absorb moisture as it passes through the intestines, and the fibre and the mucilage give a better consistency to the stool, and make them easier to pass.

Good luck!

User Tag List