Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Avoiding the pet store? Please help?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Lol @LoveMyHerd you really are the naming queen!

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Aww, thank you!

Peony

Cavy Slave
Aw, they are both so cute! Sparkles reminds me of one of my childhood guinea pigs I had growing up... all white :) I named her Naomi

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
See? She gave me great names for my baby (5 weeks) Mocha but I chose one for her middle name from @LoveMyHerd so her name is Mocha Fawn (insert last name here) @PeanutnCookie

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Great name ideas!
She is definitely not itching, no hair loss, but has these black dots and dandruff through her coat. I saw quite a few yellow dots in one spot which look like lice but they are not moving. Could it just be dirt? She was in a filthy hutch, I mean, her feet were covered in poo.
She doesn't squeek when I pet her anymore.
Otherwise shes looked a lot better this morning: moving around, not so scared of me, allowing me to offer her food and pats, she is eating a little bit, not much.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
I've decided to call her Ida :) She really seems to suit it!
I think I was over reacting, she seems apsolutely fine now, except for her ears. I will give her some Ivomec and see if they clear up. If not, then I will take her to the vet.
I will get Sparkles neutured in two or three weeks, that will give him time to settle in and get used to us.

I'm so glad that I took Ida, I wish that I could've rescued the rabbit too. That lady had way too many animals, she said that she was downsizing. I wish that people would stop and think before they take so many on.
Sorry guys, I'm just ranting right now, you probably would too. Less is more and more is less, because the more animals that you have the less time you have to take care of them, the less animals that you have the more time you have to take care of them.
Certainly if you have time to give them complete TLC then by all means go for it, but you have to know when to stop. Loving animals is one thing, hoarding is quite another.

There, that was me for today lol;)

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
So glad you found a name that fits her persona! Like I said, I never go with a theme, but whatever suits the individual.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
So glad you found a name that fits her persona! Like I said, I never go with a theme, but whatever suits the individual.

Same! I'm not really into food names unless it sounds sensible, like Minty or Coco and then only if it suits the piggie. Sparkles is an unusual name for me, but I like it!
I'm glad that you like Ida! :)

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
I feel sad about Ida, she looks so depressed all the time. I can't wait till she and Sparkles can meet, having a friend could help her a lot!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The stuff on her ears looks a lot like what we often see. We just apply Gorgeous Guineas F&M ointment to it and it clears up in no time, not really any need for a vet visit. https://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/f--m-ointment-50gm-30-p.asp

I do recommend looking at Gorgeous Guineas site and ordering some of her stuff as it all is very helpful (we mostly use her stuff to help with fungal and to help sooth skin problems caused by mites). Her stuff always gets to us with-in 5 days of it being posted.

She's a very lovely lady, when she was in NZ earlier this year she came over for the day (to get her "piggy fix") and was very nice to talk to.

Best of luck!

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Great news! Ida is slowly comming out of her shell. I spent some time with her in the bathroom with toys and fleece blankets and she ran around instead of hiding in the corner. Then I put her in the outdoor playpen and she seemed quite happy.

Sparkles is doing well too. Amazingly he hasn't caught a whiff of Ida and has no idea that she is in the other room. He is so friendly, he loves pats and doesn't seem to mind being picked up. They are such a contrast to eachother! He is so friendly while Ida is so shy.

Thankyou @RodentCuddles, I will order some of that ointment as soon as I can.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Haha that's how Bailey and Emmy are. Emmy is ridiculously shy due to a HUGE amount of neglect and Bailey is so out going and loves everyone

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Sparkles was gorgeus this morning! I started making guinea pig noises to him and he got really excited and started popcorning at me. We had a really interesting conversation lol ;)

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
I need advise on Sparkles? I'm getting him neutured either this week or the next and I have no idea what to expect?
Do I need to take him back to get stiches removed? How long does it usually take for them to heal up?

He smelled Ida's scent on my hands and now he gets so excited when I come into the room. Its like he thinks I'm a guinea pig! lol
He even squeeks at me every time I talk to him. I can't wait to put Sparkles and Ida together! They will be so happy :)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I think it takes at least a month, maybe longer. I've never had a neutered guinea pig, or taken one to be neutered, so I'm not super sure. I don't know about the stitches, either. However, I do know that males will usually recover better and faster if he is neutered and the female isn't (spayed). Best of luck to both of you!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
De-sexing is routine for us, and thanks to our vet, we've had over 80 boys done, and have lost none to the de-sexing nor had any complications, so if you're vet is experienced with de-sexing small animals hopefully it'll all go like clockwork!
After de-sexing, we get given pain meds to give them once a day for 5 days after the operation, then around 10 days after the operation they go back to get their stitches out.

Note: some take them out themselves! We had a 7 week old girl spayed, she took hers out on the 2nd night and it was completely healed just on day 3.

And then, of course there is the 3 week wait after neutering before putting him with Ida. (;

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Ok three weeks. I thought it might have been five. Better safe than sorry! :)

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
3 weeks! Oh shoot! I'm going on holiday in two weeks and was hoping to get them together before then because my mum will be cleaning the cages.

Oh well, I will have to explain to her that she'll be cleaning two cages and not one lol

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Okay, I'm not going to be able to get him neutured untill after our holiday because if something went wrong while I was away, mum wouldn't have the car and wouldn't be able to get him to the vet. :sad:
Poor Sparkles and Ida :(
Maybe I should ring the vet and find out what the average recovery rate is? They do at least one guinea pig or rabbit a week. What do you think?

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Please wish us all luck! Sparkles goes into the surgery tomorrow to be neutured.
I'm so nervous because I've never done this before and I'd hate myself if anything happened to him. He is such a gorgeus, friendly, happy little guy and we are very fond of him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.