Thanks
    18 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Hale's Medical Thread

Hello everyone!

My piggies have flea droppings on their rumps!! I want to use Advantage since it doesn't require a prescription, but it's almost impossible to find the original formula.

I happened to find this store selling Advantage.

http://www.petshed.com/advantage.asp

Can anyone confirm if this is the original formula?

Thank you so much!!!
    ~Pinny Gig

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,223 Rec'd/5,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3789 Post(s)

Re: Overwhelmed! Is this the correct version of Advantage?

It looks like the right stuff. You definitely don't want the Advantage II. You could email the company and ask.

Are you sure it's not lice nits?

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Hi bpatters!

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely give them a call and hopefully it'll be the original Advantage.

I'm fairly sure it's not lice nits from the photos I've studied. The particles are black, flat, they don't move, and look like flecks of nail polish (all very small and somewhat oblong). I can brush them out though the piggie's fine hair makes it tedious. In the areas where her skin is pink there's no redness/inflammation/baldness though a fair amount of shedding occurs. They're very centralized in the rump area. Although I haven't found any jumping fleas just these specks.

Is it possible that they're mites instead and the skin is just reacting poorly? Aside from scratching more than usual she's in high spirits and eating well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,223 Rec'd/5,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3789 Post(s)

Unless guinea pigs are housed outside, or in a house with pets like cats and dogs that have fleas, it's pretty rare for them to have fleas. But what you're seeing could be the result of scratching. Can you post a picture?

Also, flea dirt will sometimes turn red if you put it in a drop of water.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Here are a few that weren't so blurry. Some flakes are definitely bigger like scabs. I did look closer at the skin but only managed to see black spots (?) around some of the hair follicles before she had enough of me prodding around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fur.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	71171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	size.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	71172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkinDebris.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	71173

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Update: I have been treating Hale and Dottie with Ivermictin oral for 3 weeks now. Tomorrow will be the 4th treatment since there's still some vigorous scratching at times. The debris on Hale's backside has pretty much disappeared by this point but I want to hedge my bets. I'll be doing a full cage/grid cleaning right after their treatment.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Re: Hale's Medical Thread

Did you ever try the water test to see if it was flea dirt?

After you are done treating, you might want to try rubbing some cold pressed coconut oil into the area.

Oh, I usually buy my original Advantage from Petshed. You can also get Revolution there, which is better, in my opinion.

9. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Yes I tried the water test a few times. Nothing turned red on the toilet paper. The itching isn't as bad anymore.

I'm concerned that the biting/scratching may be due to pain from something else :(

Even so I might as well add Revolution to my piggies medical kit.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

The girls were out during floor time and I noticed they both were biting/chewing at their chests and feet. Is this indicative of pain that could be something other than parasitical or fungal? I could overreacting but I can't help worrying.

Hale was just at the vet for continuing GI issues and she's on metoclopramide. We also have her on metacam since 2 vertebrae in her spine are very close and likely pinching a nerve. The pinched nerve may be contributing to painful bowel movements.

If anyone has dealt with either situation and can offer their experiences that'd be great!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

It definitely sounds like something is still going on. Is there scaly skin? Do they have dry skin? Sometimes during the winter when the heaters are running a lot, the air gets really dry. I notice that it seems to really effect some guinea pigs, giving them dry flaky skin. That's when I know it's time to plug in the humidifiers.

13. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

*I was trying to click the Thanks button but may have accidentally clicked the Report button. If so I didn't mean it!!

I'll double check for flaky skin---the girl's fur is SO dense that it's difficult to look at their skin. It could be dryness due to the propane heater (no central heating). I've been using a small humidifier but it might not be good enough. I'll hang-dry some laundry in the room and see if that ups the humidity.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Update to the mites/dandruff issue: The issue is pretty much resolved and as the weather is getting less dry the itching has improved.

Onto the next issue: A few days ago I noticed Hale's back feet were red and a little flaky. It's either bumblefoot or urine scald but I can't tell which since her feet haven't developed any open wounds. She does lay around a lot due to being old and having arthritis. I've looked through the forums and I'm going to move around the food for dinnertime around (hide it and stuff) and I've been changing out the cuddle-cups and fleece more. I've *recently switched to wood pellets with fleece on top but I'm finding the fleece to be a bit of a hassle with the amount of poops!

I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to get rid of the majority of the fleece and just use little pieces for the hideys so I can change it easily and frequently throughout the day. If it's the early stages of bumblefoot would the wood pellets exacerbate the problem? Should I mix carefresh to help soften it? I'll be using cold-pressed coconut oil tonight in hopes of solving the problems. I just don't want the pellets to be my undoing.
    Last edited by Pinny Gig; 03-10-15 at 02:20 pm. Reason: missing word

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,223 Rec'd/5,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3789 Post(s)

If it were me, I'd leave the fleece in and just change it frequently. Those really thin fleece blankets that are sold at places like Walgreens and Walmart work well over pellets, and they often go on sale for about $2 each.

Most pigs can adjust to pellets without fleece just fine, but I don't know about pigs with foot problems. I'd tend to think the fleece would be better for them.

17. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List