Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Two critternations?

Elli91

Cavy Slave
I have a critter Nation ( a double actually) and was wondering if by converting it into something like this it would be fine for two guinea pigs, I also use Bass Pans rather than the plastic pans

Once connected it would be 6 ft long and 2 ft wide plus have the two shelves as a loft area, assuming I can work out a proper flooring.

Obviously this cage is not set up for guinea pigs, its just to show how they would be connected.

DoubleCN.jpg

Elli91

Cavy Slave
I should mention I know about the Midwest cages, and about the C&C ... but I do have a cat and a dog and I feel this would be the most secure. Plus I already have the supplies.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Those ramps are far too steep for guinea pigs to use. The size looks like it could be okay although I imagine if you use loose bedding, they would be kicking it out through those bars as they moved around.

Elli91

Cavy Slave
well you do not have to put the levels, and as I said, This cage is NOT set up for a guinea pig.

Also the bass pans I have are 3 inches deep which will hold bedding much better, though once we get our own place ( not an apartment) I would like to switch to fleece for ease of use.

Elli91

Cavy Slave
Here is mine right now ... its only a single at the moment but its just to show the bass pan and without levels ( the log thing was taken out as soon as the rats started showing a real interest in it)

10458724_10202407908655347_9200133219528365308_n (1).jpg

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
What is a "bass pan?" Do you mean a base pan? I'm not sure if they're two different things, or just an error.

lissie

Cavy Slave
It should be okay. You can use the levels too if you make the levels lower for less steep ramp. You might need something to block off the side of the upper levels so your pigs don't fall off.

Elli91

Cavy Slave
Last edited:

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use the levels (which you've already stated you wouldn't) but other than that it should be fine. It'd be big enough and I have one of these cages for our hedgehog and since they are SO sturdy and well constructed it would stand up really well against your other pets. I say go for it. I don't see any downsides really to using it other than the pans being shallow with bedding but you've already stated you have pans for that so even that wouldn't even be an issue. They wouldn't be able to to run a full lap without jumping because of the pans however where the lip of it comes up (unless it's one long one and not two smaller ones) but you also said you'd be switching back to the original pans and fleece eventually too, correct? Overall I say go for it. It should be perfectly fine. :)

Elli91

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of making a little cover for the lip, I had thought of that, I dont want any sore bellies from them hitting it wrong.

I was thinking something like this, this is for a different set up but I dont see why it wouldnt work for this application.

$T2eC16ZHJH0FG1p3pQs(BSel!ektWg~~60_12.JPG

I actually have a critter nation now and love it, the giant doors, plus my dog loves watching my rats and I know they are completely safe ( he has been worked with with the rats since he was 6 weeks, but we all know excited dogs sometimes don't listen to their training, same with the cat)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.