Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thoughts on independent pet stores?

SparkyTucker69

Cavy Slave
Just curious

I'm personally not a fan of any pet store that sells animals, regardless if it is a big chain or independent. We all know where the live pets come from but besides that pet stores are why their are impulse purchases.

People buying animals on a whim is a huge issue because many times they will receive improper care from their new owner or they end up in the shelter system once the new owner tires of them. Before someone acquires a pet, thought and research should be placed into it, which pet stores do not require.

If any place is going to be selling animals they should have a detailed application and someone who is knowledgeable on the pet in question so that they can help educate the new owner.

I much prefer pet supply stores that only sell supplies and not live animals.

I think independent pet stores are fine as long as they don't A. sell animals, and B. don't sell products or provide information that is harmful to the pets for which those products are intended.

I'm with sallyvh. I don't care whether they're independent or a chain, but they shouldn't sell live animals, and they shouldn't sell things that are detrimental to the animal it's being marketed for (guinea pig wheels, leashes, tiny cages, etc.).

We have a local pet store that works with the local rescue societies to adopt out pets, which is awesome.

Pet stores that don't sell live animals are the ones I patronize. I doubt that most pet store owners really know which products are good or bad for animals. It's up to the consumer to decide what to buy or not buy and those purchases will probably influence what the owner opts to keep in stock.

Yes, I agree with @pinky. Pet stores that don't sell live creatures are the ones that are best to shop from, whether they are chains or independent.

Pet stores that don't sell live animals are the ones I patronize. I doubt that most pet store owners really know which products are good or bad for animals. It's up to the consumer to decide what to buy or not buy and those purchases will probably influence what the owner opts to keep in stock.
Although if it is a store owned by a vet who is for the interest of the animal and sells the good appropriate stuff, then I'm for it. It would be like a rescue where you'd pay an adoption fee, be checked out, and right there you can purchase what the animal needs. That would be cool to see. I know one member here was checking into owning such a store but don't know how that panned out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.