Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Rough Draft C&C Loft Cavy Cave (taking my full loft) NEED OPINIONS!!!!!!!

crittercorner

Cavy Slave
Me and my husband decided to make the Garage HIS MAN CAVE, sooooo I won the loft for my Guinea Paradise. My Cavy Cave! lol So I did a basic layout of what my loft looks like and drew up what I would like my cage to look like. Now where I need help is do you think I should divide the cage for for the boys and girls OR just make it double the cage on top, which is what I am leaning towards! (oh and I'm Doing my bunny run under the cage) What do yall think any suggestions!!!!
Dreamcage.jpg

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave
Well dividing it in half wouldn't give them as much space but still plenty! But I bet they would LOVE it if you made double the cage so I'm for the second idea!! Cool layout too! Your pigs are going to love it!! :) so is your bunny!

crittercorner

Cavy Slave
Thanks :) I hope both my bunnies will I have an old girl that she doesn't like coming out of her cage and free roaming no more. So i'm hoping she'll enjoy this were she will feel a lil safer with out being out in the open all the time!

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I am confused by the diagram. What's the blue area mean? The white area? The second white area on the far left? What are the dimensions referring too?

As for doing a double cage versus a single cage, they both have their pros and cons.

For a single, divided cage, I'd be concerned about the boys in regards to the girls. Would it drive the males absolutely bonkers when the females are all in heat and they are right next to them? I'd be worried it could lead to fights among the boys, but I could be entirely wrong about this as well. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. I do know that the boys would try to get to the girls, so you would need to make sure you had a good lid on there.

Double cages look nice, but to me, just aren't worth it, in regards to cleaning. If you think you would have no problems with cleaning a double cage, then go for it! :) If you build it up 3 grids or so higher, then it wouldn't be a hassle to clean. Something like this.

guinea pig cage 2.jpg

crittercorner

Cavy Slave
The lil white block on the left it the window to my loft it in essence it taking a 2*10 , 2*7, 2*4, and a 2*3 C&C cages and connecting them together and I would do the exact same thing on the second lever and where you see the two KMS boxes i have a built in shelves in my loft and for the base of the levels I will be constructing from 1/2" pvc pipe that way i can space them more and they will be much sturdier! because I have had stackable C&C cages and it drove me mad to clean them so this way both levels will be open!

jinxie

Cavy Slave
if you have the room I personally would prefer a same-level extension over a double cause everything is there in front of you and easy to see. That said, boars have been known to jump and scale walls (even hurting themselves in the process) to get into sows cages when side-by-side and the females are in heat. You would probably need a cover for safety and you would definitely need a visual divider between the two.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.