Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could my babies be having babies?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner RodentCuddles's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    842 Rec'd/517 Posts
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

Re: Could my babies be having babies?

If you read Salana's post - http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...al-guinea-pigs

Sometimes lethals pop out of sows that don't have any roaning whatsoever
    The Guineas who most likely carry the roan gene are Roan's, Dalmatians, and ones with head spots.

Darla who was all white apart from a tiny head spot of Ginger gave birth to two lethal whites and then two normal girls who both are white with head spots (although Dot also has a spot on her bum as well) but we know that both the girls would have very high chances of producing a lethal.

In my mind. ANY pig with white could carry the gene, as the roaning can easily be hidden - it could just be one hair hidden in millions. It's always much better to be prepared than not.
    @my2buttons - Do you have a good cavy vet who could help if any problems were to arise? Also, if there is a pet doctors near you then I would highly suggest to buy some oxbow critical care, it's good to have on hand anyway and does last a good amount of time if not opened until needed.
    Last edited by RodentCuddles; 12-06-14 at 12:05 pm.

2. "Thank you, RodentCuddles, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I will prepare for anything and everything. Whatever happens I will care for my babies and their babies with all my heart!

@RodentCuddles I don't know any cavy vets, so I'll ask at my local vets and on some local facebook pages for any recommendations. I'll definitely get the oxbow critical care too.

It will be like preparing for my first child again.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just won these for $20 off Trade Me (like eBay), so I can make my girls a bigger cage in case they have babies (or even if they don't). I should have them next week. So now I'll be busy looking at everyone's pictures on here to get ideas - pretty exciting really.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	349317748.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	70955

Thanks
    Thanks
    509 Rec'd/430 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)

Just be sure to baby proof the cage, even the girls themselves are at an age where baby proofing would be a good idea. This is because baby guinea pigs have been known to get their heads stuck in the grids.

To baby proof you can use double the amount of grids and overlap them or you could make the walls higher (even if this means putting a second sheet of coroplast along all of the walls between the grids and the coroplast tray to act as a temporary wall extension that can be taken out later).

6. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So I have one mum-to-be, Daisy (left). It's hard to judge shape due to her crazy fur, but she is certainly a lot bigger than her sister Poppy, and I can feel quite a bit of movement now. She is due in about 2 1/2 weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2540_edited.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	72106

A couple of nights ago I had a funny dream: My daughters came to tell me that Daisy had had her babies. I was disappointed that I missed it all, but got a big surprise to see the whole cage was full of babies - all different colours and sizes. I decided straight away, that although some would need new homes, I was definitely going to keep the two tiny ones which were teal coloured!
    Last edited by my2buttons; 01-28-15 at 06:48 pm.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Your girls are so cute! if she has a few teal can I have one...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do you count the pregnancy right from the date of mating? If so Daisy is now on day 80!!!

She is still behaving normally, running around, popcorning, rumblestrutting (she's certainly the boss over Poppy), eating well, asking for food when she hears the fridge open . But she is definitely also resting a lot more with that "I'm sick of being pregnant" look.

I have a feeling there may be only 1 baby, who is active, and I heard them teeth gnashing yesterday.

But as this is the first piggy pregnancy I've ever seen, I'm only guessing about there being 1 baby. Plus I have no idea what I'm looking for regarding the pelvic bones, so prefer not to bother her by feeling around.

Not so patiently waiting . . .

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

I doubt seriously that she's 80 days pregnant. Guinea pig pregnancies usually run 59-72 days, and being more than a week overdue would be like a human going 11-12 months.

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)

I see two possibilities. Either she was put with the males at a later date, or the movement you feel is digestive. I thought my Penny was pregnant, but it became very obvious that she wasn't after 76 or so days of me having her.

User Tag List