Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Elderly Bunny not really wanna do anything?!?!

crittercorner

Cavy Slave
I have a bunny est age about 8 or 9 she was a rescue and i know she is getting up there in age She use to very active and follow me around love snuggle and acted like a puppy begging for food sleeping my my lap I have had her for about 5 years but i have noticed that she been getting grumy over the last year or so and her activity is decreased alot now i know she is up there in age and the vet said she healthy and she eats and drinks and poops normally what do yall think i should do do you think she just getting old and i should just let her be? she has a friend bunny to and shes much younger and spirtly and i have notice to latly she is being aggressive to her so i moved the in to seprate cages that are still next to each other so the dont get lonly and the have different romp-around times the younger bunny just wants to play and sadly my didi (old girl) just wants to be left alone and sleeps and just sits around. What is yall think i should do??????

Svenandolaf

Cavy Slave
Before I say something I do not own rabbits and never have in the past, im answering from what you have said. Well your rabbit sounds fine to me, and it's wonderful that she is still eating,pooping, and drinking. My older animals don't run as much as they used to so I think she is alright and u did get her checked at the vet. I think u made a good decision on separating your rabbits at the moment. If your older rabbit is aggressive to the young she could hurt her. Atleat they can smell each other and see eachother.

crittercorner

Cavy Slave
Thanks and i do a weekly check with her when i clean her pen she just very moody and i feel bad that all she does is sit around and not doing much and just being a lil poop lol she use to be so sweet now she just mean :( so that why i think its age she being a resuce i not 100% on her age but i know she is at least 8+ so i know she up there :( and she is the oldest rabbit i have owned sadly my first was sick and had to be put down and she was only 6 :( so Im in grey waters about having a elderly bunny!

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Female rabbits tend to go through hormone changes as they age and can drastically change their behavior at times. It could also be that aging events like sore joints have started. If she's eating enough and the vet found nothing wrong with her then I would just make her comfortable. She might want softer places to lay and more horizontal instead of vertical space. Stay on top of her weight. Rabbits often store majority of their fat in the abdominal cavity where it can't be seen. They can use up this stored fat without you noticing so that by the time you feel they are skinny they've been losing weight for quite awhile. Vets will often let you use their scales for free if you don't have one that will weigh them.

crittercorner

Cavy Slave
OK thank you very much!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Is 8-9 considered elderly for a bunny? My rabbits always lived into their mid teens.

crittercorner

Cavy Slave
10-12 is normal congrats on long living healthy bunnies!!!!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
10-12 is normal congrats on long living healthy bunnies!!!!

Interesting, I always assumed it was older. My bunnies died at 15 (and that was an assumed age because that's how long they lived with me).

aqh88

Cavy Slave
10 is usually the quoted lifespan of a rabbit. Where they came from is going to matter. If the original person bought a breeder rabbit and the quality of the breeder or a pet store rabbit and whether it was a local only store or millbreeder you are going to have different results. As well as what they were fed growing up even if you feed them well afterward.

crittercorner

Cavy Slave
Ya my first bunny was the sweeteat thing she was a rescue from a man who was gonna use her as snake food :( but she jas intestinal issues and had to be put down but i had six wonderful years with jer and didi my "old lady" is a rescue as well and i not sure exactly how old she was when i got her except she was an adult and i have had her six years already that why im guessing jer age around 8 or 9

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.